PSR-400 weird reception problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

OK. I got this county wide public safety system using VHF high, UHF and 800mhz, all conventional. I get great reception using just about any kind of antenna, some locations are 15 miles away; EXCEPT, I've got 5 VHF frequencies for two local PD departments that are less than 2 miles away, 1 is less than 1 mile that the 400 won't pick up. Other freqs that are close, both above and below come in just fine. Next to my PSR-400 is my PRO 2006, it has no problem receiving these freqs. I've tried 4 different antennas: a 1/2 wave dipole cut to 155mhz 1/4 wave on each side, a 48" 18" OCFD, a Diamond RH771 and a RS 20-176, nothing, nada. I tried all of these antennas on both the PSR-400 and the PRO 2006. Nothing on the 400 and always on the 2006. The antennas were always in same location, cables the same etc. BTW, no attenuation set for the trouble freqs. Am I stating the obvious? Comments?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the PSR-400 can pick up those problem frequencies with NO antenna connected. When you say the '400 can not pick these frequencies up, but the '2006 can, can you explain further? Are you running both scanners simulteneously? Do you have CT/DC values programmed for any of these problem frequencies in the '400? Are you saying that while the '2006 is picking up one of these problem frequencies that the S meter on the '400 shows nothing?

Something does not add up here. Have you tried moving the PSR-400 to a different location away from other electronic devices to see if that makes a difference? I've found that when running these scanners on an antenna near computers, routers and other electronics (including one of my laptops), they stop receiving on certain frequencies. That's why I opted to install an outdoor antenna (a discone).

Oldglide

It doesn't makes sense to me either

This issue gets more weird as the time goes on. 1) No interference items. 2) The 400 only indicates the "S" on the signal strength meter indicating a signal is being received. 4) Freqs that are only 10 or 20 khz away come in fine and they are further away. 5) I've been switching the antennas around and SOMETIMES the 400 will receive, the 2006 receives everything but it does require an antenna. BTW I also use a BC246T with an 800mhz antenna that receives these freqs better than the 400. I ain't got a clue!

Oldglide

Did you ever have "Duh" moment?

Thanks 'gmclam' you mentioned the only thing I didn't consider, the codes were wrong! Why would I think the codes would be wrong, I got them from the RR database, LOL. Removed the code altogether, bam, signal. Put in the code search, sure enough, wrong code. I fixed most of them but still have a couple to do. Thanks again. DUH!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sometimes it's better to go right to the source - in this case, the CARMA profiles - for the Chicago area. However once you have everything buttoned up and working right, be sure to submit the changes to the database so someone else doesn't repeat the same mistake. 73 Mike

Oldglide

Correct information?

I went to the CARMA site as suggested. It indicated that the info was updated 3-7-2010, it's the same info I got from the RR database. It says DT tone is 103.5 but it shows on the radio 67.0? I don't have the radio in front of me I will have to check that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.