PSR-500 – An Amateurs look at the best of GRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearbox

Very nice review and I also concur. Ever since my county went to a Motorola digital TRS I sort of lost interest in the scanning hobby, but reading the reviews of the PSR-500 piqued my interest and the scanner has lived up to the hype for me. In fact I think it's enhanced the hobby for me with the fine job it does decoding P-25 signals and with the features the scanner has.

Exactly my thoughts & experiences. I hadda good few years with a BC245, but the locals went digital in 2004 and, ah, to heck with it.

But this unit has really brought me back.

-- gary ray

Northwestmike

Recording traffic using a GRE PSR-500

Greetings,

First off, I've got to thank the Canadian gentleman that wrote such a detailed review of the new GRE. Wow, just what I needed to convince me to purchase one.

I'm new to using scanners (although I've messed around with a basic Radio Shack scanner before) and I have a question about using the GRE PSR-500 to record police radio traffic.

I'm a DUII attorney and often my clients (new clients) are arrested over a given weekend. I would like to setup a scanner to record all radio traffic over say 48-72 hours. If I then get a client who was arrested during that time, I would go back and save the radio traffic concerning the stop and investigation. Often times it's relevant to my cases. For obvious reasons, I do not want to listen to the radio all weekend, but I think if I could record all the traffic for a weekend, I could go back and listen later to important portions.

Is there computer software that would make this process easy? Is the GRE PSR-500 a good scanner for this (as good as any scanner would be)? I'm in a relatively flat geographic area and the city is only a few square miles wide.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

PS: In my line of work, often people will start in with the "How can you defend THOSE people?" Please leave that discussion at the door. I obviously believe strongly in the right to a thorough investigation and legal defense, and I'm here because I am interested in radios and recording radio traffic. Thanks again!

3mary2

I didn't see it mentioned in your article but with the help of the programming programs you can use the V-Folders for more storage. Able to load an entire new program in your scanner while on the move. Great when you leave on a vacation. I can change to another folder containing another state as soon as I enter the state.38,000 pieces of memory is an lot even for the expert.

TES

. . . Is there computer software that would make this process easy? . . .

Take a look at Don Starr's Win500. The Win500 Features list shows Audio Recording for all objects, with an optional time limit per "hit". Recording is enabled/disabled per object, with an additional "master" enable on the Monitor/Control tab.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Greetings,
I'm new to using scanners (although I've messed around with a basic Radio Shack scanner before) and I have a question about using the GRE PSR-500 to record police radio traffic.

Is there computer software that would make this process easy? Is the GRE PSR-500 a good scanner for this (as good as any scanner would be)? I'm in a relatively flat geographic area and the city is only a few square miles wide.

Mike, It sounds like you just want to record audio only. Check this out: Scanner Recorder Home Page

WQDL753

First @northwestmike, you would be the one to check on the legality's of recorded transmitions. That being said if your only going to be using it as a base and you need digital then go for the psr-600 same insides, same price, better stock antenna, and don't fall over on your desk all the time! As for the recording, use win500 it does a text log of who and when, and each transmition that is recorded is labeled with who and when. Then you can easily narrow down what transcripts you need to request from who.
Now to the impotant stuff. Good review in such a short time, I've had my 600 for two or three months and couldn't put that much down without someone asking me and speech to text for my answer...hehe! I've only had a few scanners over the years, but not enugh was said how geat the object oriented setup is, it saves huge amounts of memory over the bank type setup. I will not give an example now, and that goes into my closing. The manual is probably vague because they are used to the "old school" community of radio folk that either know or don't know, and if you don't know then at the end of the manual the send you here to find someone who does.

amol_radhi

Hi all.....read your review and comments on the 500. Am thinking of going in for the 500 or 600. Any suggestions there? Also, anybody got any explanation for 'I-call' that the 500/600 apparently track as per the available info online? Thanx, Amol

ksphotoguy

Well, I took the plunge today and ordered the GRE 500. I already have a Pro51, Pro95, Pro96, and a BCT330t. There isn't a lot of digital in our area yet but I had the moolah and Scannermaster had a pretty good price on it so I figured best do it while I had the money. I am looking forward to getting it and seeing how it works. I almost went with the BC396XT but some things about it made me think the GRE would be the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.