PSR-500 1.8, DSP 1.4 upgrade is freaking me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
In a good way!

Is anyone noticing significantly better 800 MHz P25 reception?

I could never hear MARCS, almost nothing, while inside my office building. I did the upgrade earlier this week, and now I'm hearing much more MARCS traffic than I've ever heard, loud and clear.

So I'm doing the Analyze thing on the MARCS towers I have programmed, and before I could only pick up 1 tower. Now I can pick up 3 or 4.

Not only that, but I am seeing alpha tags on some of the towers (like LAKECO for Wickliffe). Was that feature always there and I'm just noticing it now?

Regardless, the 800 MHz P25 is greatly improved (not that it was bad before).

Mike-KC8OWL

I also finally got around to upgrading my 500 and I agree - the audio quality on the MARCS system seems to have improved for me too - MARCS is the P25 system I monitor most so I really can't comment on other systems, but I agree!

Did you notice similar changes on the Lake Co. system?

Swipesy

In a good way!

Not only that, but I am seeing alpha tags on some of the towers (like LAKECO for Wickliffe). Was that feature always there and I'm just noticing it now?

Erik - where are you seeing alpha tags displayed? I don't see that on my scanner. All I see is the CC #.

John

eorange

Lake County booms in for me, comes in louder than 98.5 FM! So I can't tell a difference there.

John, when scanning MARCS, Hit MAN, then TSYS, then ANALYZ.

Scroll through the CCs. Stop on an active CC, and look at the bottom of the display where the info alternates. Right now as I scroll through my programmed MARCS CCs...I'm seeing these CC site numbers and IDs:

S43 "CL-JUS" (Cleveland - Justice Center @ Lakeside / W 3rd)
S53 "HAMDEN"
S54 "LAKECO" (Wickliffe)

On the MARCS page in the database, click RR Locations, then click any of the pushpins on the map. The "Site Alias" matches what I see on the display.

Pretty cool!

ibagli

It was put out in a previous upgrade (somewhere around Summer 2008, I think).

ETA: It was added in the CPU 1.5 upgrade.

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
It was put out in a previous upgrade (somewhere around Summer 2008, I think).

ETA: It was added in the CPU 1.5 upgrade.

Is that only for the MARCS system? I have never seen anything like site names on the CO DTRS P25 system.

Swipesy

John, when scanning MARCS, Hit MAN, then TSYS, then ANALYZ.

!

Thanks Erik. I mis-read your original post. I thought you were referring to seeing the names on the screen without going through the Analyz function. I just memorize what tower number is what so I can tell. At the Dayton Hamvention this year I prodded Raj to put the description feature into the PSR500/600 next release like the Pro-96 had. Suppossedly the next scanner(s) will have more memory and this can be accomplished if GRE decides to accomodate.

John

eorange

Thanks Erik. I mis-read your original post. I thought you were referring to seeing the names on the screen without going through the Analyz function.
No, not your fault - in my excitement I called it the wrong thing. Still a neat discovery, though. I can sorta pick up Parma P25 and hear some voice traffic, but didn't see any "tower aliases" :) so far...

mikey60

No, not your fault - in my excitement I called it the wrong thing. Still a neat discovery, though. I can sorta pick up Parma P25 and hear some voice traffic, but didn't see any "tower aliases" :) so far...

Tower aliases are only on Motorola 3600bps smartlink systems. P25 systems do not have this feature. at least not that I've found thus far.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.