PSR-500/600 1.5 firmware released

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevins669

Database Admin
Theres an easy fix for that without needing a firmware fix which will probably never happen. Use a beam or Yagi antenna (ie: dierectional antenna) and point it at the tower you want to hear, that solves the issue.
If you look hard enough you can find them for $10 used or even $30-$40 new. The beams are pretty small if it is for 800MHz systems.
V

Except when all three towers in a system are all within, say 15 or less miles. And they are all East of me :)

Plus, the beam doesn't go well with the radio's belt clip while walking around!

-- Kevin

JT-112

Theres an easy fix for that without needing a firmware fix which will probably never happen. Use a beam or Yagi antenna (ie: dierectional antenna) and point it at the tower you want to hear, that solves the issue.
If you look hard enough you can find them for $10 used or even $30-$40 new. The beams are pretty small if it is for 800MHz systems.
V

People gotta stop bringing this up as a "solution."

a) It doesn't work when on foot

b) It doesn't work when mobile

c) Getting the idea yet?

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
It may not even be possible to have a firmware solution for it, orlando is a prime example, there are 5 towers all within 15 miles of each other, most of us in downtown are in the middle of the "Circle" and it has always been like this, yagis will help to an extent, but i really don't think a software fix will do it.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber

c) Getting the idea yet?

The solution is

a) Pay $3000 for a comparable radio

b) Get the idea yet ;)

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
The new updates are working great on my end. Love the Radio ID alert...

I was a bit sad that being able to force a control channel was not included, but hey there is always next release...

Bottom line... I am VERY happy with my PSR-500 and am glad I purchased it. GRE is doing what we have all wanted for a long time and what we do every day. Listening...

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Phone Patches

My PSR500 will recognize radio to radio private calls as advertised, but it will not recognize phone patches on a Moto Type IIi TRS. I even programmed in the radio IDs as private talkgroup objects that we use for the private call phone patches and did some tests, the scanner is deaf to the IDs in this mode. Can anyone explain why this is so?

Mark

Viper43

c) Getting the idea yet?

What, it bothers you when someone suggests something that WORKS.....
Considering it's the BEST solution until scanner makers figure out how to work around the simulcast situation....
Actually having the right equipment whether mobile or not does help, and there ARE mobile and portable beams....... you got it yet? Heck, there are even portable discone antennas. And if all else fails move a few feet and you might get a better signal....

Actually though I have no problems using a RS800Mhz when mobile or on foot, even between towers and things come in clear.

V

JT-112

What, it bothers you when someone suggests something that WORKS.....
Considering it's the BEST solution until scanner makers figure out how to work around the simulcast situation....
Actually having the right equipment whether mobile or not does help, and there ARE mobile and portable beams....... you got it yet? Heck, there are even portable discone antennas. And if all else fails move a few feet and you might get a better signal....

Actually though I have no problems using a RS800Mhz when mobile or on foot, even between towers and things come in clear.

V

Are you daft?

Seriously - where on earth do you get this is a viable solution for monitoring WHILE MOVING?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
There is no other option. There's nothing you can do in firmware.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I was vacationing in Quebec and found two annoying problems with my PSR-600 that has the 1.5 firmware. It is a good thing I had my 396 with me as well.

First problem is the CC Dump and Trunk system information does not work when doing limit searches. The display says it is P25 but only displays a NAC Code. Unitrunker did not receive anything via the CC Dump. I had to go into tune mode and manually put in the frequency for the scanner to decode and Unitrunker to work. Is there a setting that makes this work in searches like Control Channel only on the Unidens?

The second problem was the RENIR sites do not display system information in tune mode. It only displays P25 with a NAC code. The GRE PSR-600 has no problems in tune mode on HQ P25 sites in the Cantons-de-l'Est area. It appears something in the RENIR control channel makes the PSR-600 decode it as plain P25. I programmed a RENIR site into the GRE PSR-600. The Analyze function just shows dashes for the system information. It does look like it tracks the system although the display was confusing and I could no determine if it was displaying the right TG info or decoded all the voice traffic. There was not much traffic on the site. The 396 has no problems decoding the RENIR sites when searching or tracking the system when I programmed the site using control channel only mode.

73 Eric

mikey60

Hello,

I was vacationing in Quebec and found two annoying problems with my PSR-600 that has the 1.5 firmware. It is a good thing I had my 396 with me as well.

First problem is the CC Dump and Trunk system information does not work when doing limit searches. The display says it is P25 but only displays a NAC Code. Unitrunker did not receive anything via the CC Dump. I had to go into tune mode and manually put in the frequency for the scanner to decode and Unitrunker to work. Is there a setting that makes this work in searches like Control Channel only on the Unidens?

The second problem was the RENIR sites do not display system information in tune mode. It only displays P25 with a NAC code. The GRE PSR-600 has no problems in tune mode on HQ P25 sites in the Cantons-de-l'Est area. It appears something in the RENIR control channel makes the PSR-600 decode it as plain P25. I programmed a RENIR site into the GRE PSR-600. The Analyze function just shows dashes for the system information. It does look like it tracks the system although the display was confusing and I could no determine if it was displaying the right TG info or decoded all the voice traffic. There was not much traffic on the site. The 396 has no problems decoding the RENIR sites when searching or tracking the system when I programmed the site using control channel only mode.

73 Eric

When you find a frequency like this, you can press FUNC-Tune to move the frequency into Tune mode. Much faster than entering the frequency manually.

Mike

wg4r

Premium Subscriber
Key sequence to display current firmware?

Does any one have information on the sequence keys to hold down when you turn the radio on to get the 500/600 to display the currently installed firmware version installed in the radio and/or the latest CPU & DSP?

Thanks!
/s/ Bill
de wg4r

Status
Not open for further replies.