Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9MHB

getting error message now... i think i messed it up
message is
Heap error 215121 : 2158
I aint never had this problems with scanners

gregmoss

JUST RECEIVED THIS E-MAILED REPLY FROM A GRE REP ABOUT A NEW GRE PSR FIRMWARE RELEASE.

Thank You for contacting GRE. Yes there is always room for improvement on these PSR-500/600

We are pleased to let you know that we are working on a firmware release but there is no firm ETA yet.
That said we have received lots of feedbacks, request for features, few known issues so our Engineers
are working towards these updates and bug fixes as well.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions.

Regards,
GRE Support Team

walter900

JUST RECEIVED THIS E-MAILED REPLY FROM A GRE REP ABOUT A NEW GRE PSR FIRMWARE RELEASE.

Thank You for contacting GRE. Yes there is always room for improvement on these PSR-500/600

We are pleased to let you know that we are working on a firmware release but there is no firm ETA yet.
That said we have received lots of feedbacks, request for features, few known issues so our Engineers

Regards,
GRE Support Team

That is really great news!!! GRE is the best!!! Just goes to show that they listen, and welcome feedback for making a great product even better.. I wonder if the 106 firmware will arrive at the same time as the one for the 500? :) :) :) :)

SOFA_KING

Regards,
GRE Support Team

Don't even think of releasing a firmware update without P25 ENCRYPTION MUTE/MASK, GRE!

I hope you are really listening, GRE! Because all I have been listening to on my fancy new scanner is P25 ENCRYPTION TOILET NOISE! It is a real killjoy! How could you have overlooked this much needed feature for this otherwise cool scanner? WE NEED THIS FIX ASAP!

Rant over ~

Thanks for sharing the update, Gregg.

Phil :cool:

kikito

Premium Subscriber
How could you have overlooked this much needed feature for this otherwise cool scanner?

Could it be patents from other companies in the way???? As advanced as this radio is, I doubt they "overlooked" that feature, there's gotta be other reasons.....

SOFA_KING

Could it be patents from other companies in the way???? As advanced as this radio is, I doubt they "overlooked" that feature, there's gotta be other reasons.....

I opened a ticket with GRE and requested this feature and an MDC1200 mute feature. They did reply back and did NOT say there was any patent issue or reason like that. They DID overlook it. One very credible source who knows this series very well says it CAN be done. They NEED to just do it.

Phil :mad:

PS - I'm not mad at you...just GRE. :D

jnewell

Where's the little emoticon that shows a little yellow face sitting on the edge of its chair with a look of eager expectation??? C'mon, Don, tell us! :D

SOFA_KING

GRE did not "overlook" it. While it can be done, there are a couple of technical reasons why it has not.

How could they put out a product without this? Especially if Uniden has it for a while now??? I would say they had to overlook this feature. Who wants to listen to noise? Didn't they think of that??? :confused:

So if it can be done, JUST DO IT ALREADY!

I'm sick of buying expensive scanners that have an incomplete set of features. Every single feature that would make them complete is well within reach and NOT expensive at all. It is just a matter of being smart about what you are doing.

DonS

How could they put out a product without this? Especially if Uniden has it for a while now??? I would say they had to overlook this feature.

You would be wrong in saying such a thing.

It was considered during the scanner's development. It was determined that adding the feature would unacceptably delay the scanner's release. Whether or not a competitor had the feature was a minor consideration.

None of this, though, means it won't be included in some future firmware release (nor does this sentence mean it will make it in!).

jnewell

How could they put out a product without this? Especially if Uniden has it for a while now??? I would say they had to overlook this feature. Who wants to listen to noise? Didn't they think of that??? :confused:

So if it can be done, JUST DO IT ALREADY!

I'm sick of buying expensive scanners that have an incomplete set of features. Every single feature that would make them complete is well within reach and NOT expensive at all. It is just a matter of being smart about what you are doing.

Lessee, you told the Uniden folks you weren't going to buy their scanners any more...sounds like you're not going to buy GRE scanners any more...will we see you in the AOR forum??? :confused: :roll: :D

SOFA_KING

Lessee, you told the Uniden folks you weren't going to buy their scanners any more...sounds like you're not going to buy GRE scanners any more...will we see you in the AOR forum??? :confused: :roll: :D

Guys,

I tend to have a passion about things. It is just my way. I appreciate things that are well engineered and worth the money I paid for them. I test these things out in every way, notice flaws, and try maybe a little too hard to communicate that to the people who can actually do something about it. I do not accept lame excuses either (not that all are lame...Don has my full respect). Please do not make this a personal thing. Do not start or fuel a flame war. People were starting to do that on the Uniden thread. That is not ever going work out well. It is not personal, so don't make it personal. It is radio! And Loumag's shot about "sofa bound engineers" was a low blow. If you have something to say to me, Lou, PM me. That little public dig was disrespectful and also personal since you used my handle. Just as bad as any troll.

Some day I hope to have a radio that really has it all together in one package. Nothing exotic...just well made and functional. Not a lot of bells and whistles...just the basics that you need to somewhat emulate the two-way stuff we listen to, and get the job done but with a whole lot more channels to scan. I have reviewed the GRE here. For the most part I really like what they did. It does fall short with the overload issue. Too late to fix that, I know. Yes, an FM filter improves the RX enough to make it usable. Without it I would have to sell the scanner as it would hear little to no VHF where I listen. The other major issue some of us have is the encryption noise. I listen to a lot of freqs that have a mix of clear and encrypted, so it is annoying. It is my hope that this issue could be addressed. If not, I'm done buying GRE as well. I have no interest in AOR. My next choice is Motorola, which I have done in the past and would do again IF there was no choice and I thought it was worth it. The gap between big /\/\ commercial two-way and scanner reception (and functional features) is too wide in my opinion. GRE came close.

I am really truthful when I say I'm not buying any more scanners unless they do it right. I'm on the edge of loosing interest in the hobby because the equipment comes up short...and it is not cheap either. I do not mind paying for good equipment...if it is really good. Marketing a lot of bells and whistles like different colored backlights does nothing for me. Performance does everything. So I hope someday GRE nails it. It is just these two items that stands in the way of being acceptable...and enough to buy more of them. Oh, and MDC mute would be nice, but not a priority.

So let's be respectful. I addressed no one here but the manufactures (and developers). And that was not personal in nature but technical. Attacking me for doing so is out of line, especially if you a moderator.

SOFA_KING

:D It's true.

You know, I don't like the user name I picked. I use a different name on all the forums that I visit, but that name was taken here, so I could not use it. There was this funny commercial on the radio at the time that I chose this secondary name choice. Big mistake. It just asks for trouble.

Oh well...I hope the next firmware release has some nice improvements.

Thayne

:D It's true.

You know, I don't like the user name I picked. I use a different name on all the forums that I visit, but that name was taken here, so I could not use it. There was this funny commercial on the radio at the time that I chose this secondary name choice. Big mistake. It just asks for trouble.

Oh well...I hope the next firmware release has some nice improvements.

Don't worry about your moniker; if you lived around here you might have picked "Mattress King"! :)

walter900

Would anyone happen to have an update as to when the 1.7 firmware is going to be released?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It will be interesting to see what is changed/added and how quickly a Pro-106 version appears on Radio Shacks site.

Status
Not open for further replies.