PSR 500 - a way to set tables for P25 700 and P800 within the same systemhz and

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

I am setting up my gre psr 500 to monitor ohio marcs2. I am using win500. No newbie to progrAmming however something has thrown me a curveball.

Marcs 2 is utilizing a mixture of prinarily 700 mhz primary control channels and a few 800 mhz primary control channels.

Ideally id like to put all the control channels (both 700/800) attached to the same system and monitor them as part of the same bank/ (scan list).

this wY i wont have to duplicate alpha tags for the talkgroup id’s across 2 different scan lists -- as the number of alphatags/tg’s in marcs 2 already exceeds the memory i have in each v folder.

I already break up the marcs system into v folders across the state of ohio.

So i am asking if there is a way go setup my trunking tables (win500 software) for both p25 700 and p25 800?

It currently seems like answer is no and i will need to segregate out my 700 mhz control channels from 800 mhz ones and scan as two separate banks/scan lists in order for the trunking tables to find the voice channels properly

dizwiz

I want to add i probably scan differently than most as i am on the road scanning as i travel all over ohio.
so i like to have a lot of marcs2 programmed in vs a single , ot just a few CC sites that are nearby my home

budevans

dizwiz,

I just read both of your posts and I'm not clear about a couple things.

First, you posted MARCS 2? I'm familiar with MARCS-IP, but I haven't seen any type of reference to MARCS 2. Are you referring to P25 Phase II?

Second, you mentioned setting up Trunking Tables. P25 systems by default send the frequency information. So you don't need Trunking Tables.
FYI, The old Moto Type 2 systems which required tables, was retired years ago when it was replaced by the current P25 system.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
dizwiz,

I just read both of your posts and I'm not clear about a couple things.

First, you posted MARCS 2? I'm familiar with MARCS-IP, but I haven't seen any type of reference to MARCS 2. Are you referring to P25 Phase II?

Second, you mentioned setting up Trunking Tables. P25 systems by default send the frequency information. So you don't need Trunking Tables.
FYI, The old Moto Type 2 systems which required tables, was retired years ago when it was replaced by the current P25 system.

For monitoring Ohio MARCS-IP with a PSR500/600 or Pro106/197, the P25 Auto setting works just fine; no need to use custom tables. You can combine 700 and 800 control channels with no problem.

However, if you're trying to monitor a simulcast site in one of the major metro areas you're probably not going to be happy with the results; the PSR500/600 et al don't decode those sites very well.

Stand-alone sites in rural counties are no problem.

dizwiz

For monitoring Ohio MARCS-IP with a PSR500/600 or Pro106/197, the P25 Auto setting works just fine; no need to use custom tables. You can combine 700 and 800 control channels with no problem.

However, if you're trying to monitor a simulcast site in one of the major metro areas you're probably not going to be happy with the results; the PSR500/600 et al don't decode those sites very well.

Stand-alone sites in rural counties are no problem.

Thank everyone for quick replies.

I did some experimenting and you are right p25 auto does not need a trunking table in win500 (i zeroed iy out and it works fine)

However, i still have to segregate marcs isp (marcs 2) 700 and 800 mhz control channels across 2 diffwrent scan lists

I cant put 700 and 800 mhz control channels together in system frequencies.

If i do this, and have the 700 mhz control channels listed first, it will skip over traffic on the 800 mhz control channels.

So , to get it to work, i have to program 2 separate acan lists and tsys Id’s (for the same system)...one for the 700 mhz ones and one for the 800 mhz ones.

I dont like this bc then i will have to maintain 2 separate lists of talkgroups and alpha tags

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thank everyone for quick replies.

I did some experimenting and you are right p25 auto does not need a trunking table in win500 (i zeroed iy out and it works fine)

However, i still have to segregate marcs isp (marcs 2) 700 and 800 mhz control channels across 2 diffwrent scan lists

I cant put 700 and 800 mhz control channels together in system frequencies.

If i do this, and have the 700 mhz control channels listed first, it will skip over traffic on the 800 mhz control channels.

So , to get it to work, i have to program 2 separate acan lists and tsys Id’s (for the same system)...one for the 700 mhz ones and one for the 800 mhz ones.

I dont like this bc then i will have to maintain 2 separate lists of talkgroups and alpha tags

Not sure what you're doing, but I have mixed control channels in my PSR500 and it works just fine, scans all of them and locks on to the appropriate tower sites with no problems at all.

Try putting the 800 MHz control channels first. In real radios the 800 MHz band plan is listed before 700 MHz for a particular reason but I forget what it is; if they're programmed the other way around they don't work right.

dizwiz

Not sure what you're doing, but I have mixed control channels in my PSR500 and it works just fine, scans all of them and locks on to the appropriate tower sites with no problems at all.

Try putting the 800 MHz control channels first. In real radios the 800 MHz band plan is listed before 700 MHz for a particular reason but I forget what it is; if they're programmed the other way around they don't work right.

I did this and now it ignores whatever is on the 700 Mhz control channels.

No solution this I see other than have 2 separate scan lists for Marcs-ISP.
1 for MARCS-ISP 700 Mhz control channels and another for MARCS-ISP 800 MHz control channels (with both set to P25 AUTO).

dizwiz

I think i figured this out.

I need to set P25 mode to P25 Manual (in win500)

Then go into trunking tables and put 2 lines of definition.
One for 700 mhz p25 and the other for 800 mhz p25.

If i do this then it will scan both the 700 and 800 mhz , in the same bank/scan list, like i want it to.

If i leave it on p25 auto it just scans whichever of the 2 i have first in system frequencies

And yes i have mine set to roam as i travel around the state of ohio listening.

If i have it set to p25 manual (and use p25 700 mhz defined freq stepwidths), is thre a risk im going to miss something ?

usswood

I think i figured this out.

I need to set P25 mode to P25 Manual (in win500)

Then go into trunking tables and put 2 lines of definition.
One for 700 mhz p25 and the other for 800 mhz p25.

If i do this then it will scan both the 700 and 800 mhz , in the same bank/scan list, like i want it to.

If i leave it on p25 auto it just scans whichever of the 2 i have first in system frequencies

And yes i have mine set to roam as i travel around the state of ohio listening.

If i have it set to p25 manual (and use p25 700 mhz defined freq stepwidths), is thre a risk im going to miss something ?

P25 Auto...then, Edit-TSYS-Edit-(Expert Below)Multi-site: STAT-Check ALL CC:YES

Status
Not open for further replies.