PSR-500 AC and DC power cords

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a PSR-500 and haven't used it for quite a few years. I already have rechargeables but would like a couple power cords so I don't have to keep re-charging the batteries. The original wall wart was junk, so I am looking to purchase a couple new cords for home and my car. Specifically, which cords are being used now by users and where are the best prices? Thanks!

DJ11DLN

You can get an AC wall wart from Whistler for the WS-1040 which will work just fine with your PSR-500, they being basically the same radio.
https://whistlergroup.com/collections/scanner-accessories
Specifically, https://whistlergroup.com/collectio.../products/ac-adapter-for-ws1010-ws1025-ws1040

I don't see a DC adapter in the Whistler accessories, but Radio Shack did have one available for the Pro-106/Pro-651 which would work with your 500, again they being basically the same radio, but a quick search did not find it. They do have this one, which is a variable-voltage 2500 mA version. You would need to get the correct tip for it and make sure that it was installed with the correct polarity, and set it for 9V.
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-2500ma-universal-dc-power-adapter

rwier

Kinda jogged my memory, so I took a look at my wart bank. Sure enough, there is one wart labeled 500. On the device is printed: Uniden, Part No. PS-0039, model S009CU0900080, Input 100-240VAC, 50/60 Hz, 300 mA, Output 9.0VDC, 800 mA.
I know, wasted typing, but the interesting part? This wart is supplying power to an HP-1(E), and has been for a considerable time (maybe years) without an error message.

DJ11DLN

Thanks very much guys! I did not know Radio Shack was still selling.
It's pretty iffy. If the item shows up as not available online, you will have to just start hitting stores and see if they have it. And even with the catalog #, that can get pretty frustrating...the people working at RS, in my area anyway, are absolutely clueless. Though they're more than happy to sell you a Sprint phone.:roll:

But Amazon probably has a DC adapter of some form that you can adapt to your use. You need 9VDC and positive tip polarity on the right size tip, and I think 800 mA, though I've run my Pro-651 (same more or less as your 500) on a wall wart rated at 450 mA without any issues. That one came from Menard's but if I had to do it over I'd have gotten the genuine article from Whistler.

sprite1741

I find these at the church thrift stores. The St. Vincent's down the road has three large boxes full of wall warts. Common item. 50 cents a piece, and most are like new. 12, 9 and 6 volts are most common. Just have to take time sorting through them to get the right voltage, AC or DC out, current, tip polarity and connector. Got a DC car charger there too.

It's pretty iffy. If the item shows up as not available online, you will have to just start hitting stores and see if they have it. And even with the catalog #, that can get pretty frustrating...the people working at RS, in my area anyway, are absolutely clueless. Though they're more than happy to sell you a Sprint phone.:roll:

But Amazon probably has a DC adapter of some form that you can adapt to your use. You need 9VDC and positive tip polarity on the right size tip, and I think 800 mA, though I've run my Pro-651 (same more or less as your 500) on a wall wart rated at 450 mA without any issues. That one came from Menard's but if I had to do it over I'd have gotten the genuine article from Whistler.

I'm pretty sure all RS stores closed here in Massachusetts and all of New England. They were always clueless.

DJ11DLN

I'm pretty sure all RS stores closed here in Massachusetts and all of New England. They were always clueless.
There used to be 7-8 within 50 miles of me...now there are 2, and 1 of those is combined with an appliance store. Not sure how long that will last. Once upon a time, they were all staffed with people who knew their business and as recently as a couple of years ago the one remaining stand-alone store (if you can call it that) had an owner who was behind the counter frequently and who knew electronics well. But that ended too. I used to enjoy going to RS, now I hate it...I not only have to find what I'm after myself, if they even have it...I have to constantly fend off the "Sprint representative," who is sure that I hate my Verizon phone and will switch if he asks me to enough times.:mad:

W4ILJ

Premium Subscriber

trp2525

I'm pretty sure all RS stores closed here in Massachusetts and all of New England...

Radio Shack is still operating many stores in Massachusetts and New England. I am located in Massachusetts and currently have 10 Radio Shack stores located within a 25-mile radius of my zip code. Use this Radio Shack store locator to find your closest store(s): https://www.radioshack.com/apps/store-locator

Status
Not open for further replies.