PSR-500 and Faded Buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillQuinn

I've had my PSR-500 for about 1 1/2 years now and the buttons are starting to fade. So much so that it is hard to read the buttons. Is there any way I can purchase new buttons or replace them?

SCPD

QRT
I think that the manufacturers are cheaping out when it comes to the keypads ... Uniden and now GRE are having issues.

I have a PSR 500 that is having the same issue. However, I have a 780 that still has a perfect keypad, they just don't make them like they used to.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Methinks both companies think everyone will use scanner software, so they scrimp on the keypads. In truth, how many big time scanner owners really use their keypads? :lol:

CWR

More than you think.
There's still a lot of us "Old-School" scanner users out there.......

Swipesy

I've had my PSR-500 for about 1 1/2 years now and the buttons are starting to fade. So much so that it is hard to read the buttons. Is there any way I can purchase new buttons or replace them?

To give you a direct answer instead of what you have been receiving, the answer is yes. I just ordered a set from GRE and replaced mine. I think it was around $6.00 + shipping. You have to carefully remove the front cover (thin speaker wire) and pull the old pad out and lay the new pad in.

skip39

my buttons are fading also on my keypads i thinks it from the sweat on my hands and being out in the conditions. thats the only problem i had so far.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My PSR-500 still looks new, my skin oils don't seem to eat the lettering off buttons and panels like a friend's do. His 106 is only about 5 months old, and it already looks bad, like every other scanner or remote control he owns does. If he handles a blued gun, it needs to be wiped down ASAP, or there will be a rusty fingerprint there very soon. He and I bought new TVs about the same time, in June of '06. My remote looks new, he's on his second one, and it's just about time for another new one.

nsrailfan6130

I've had mine for 2 years as of June and my enitre key pad is still in good shape. A lot of it has to do with keeping it indoors and not exposing it to the elements.

KE4RWS

Screenprinted Keys/Buttons

I know guys who will handle their scanners while eating bbq ribs. Some people's definition of treating their equipment well differs greatly from another. But I've also seen some keypads that didn't get much use at all that were showing signs of fading.

It doesn't always mean people aren't treating their gear right, only that our environments will vary greatly from person to person. Most manufacturers offer replacement parts, including keypads, for the devices they make.

Screenprinted buttons have been in use for many, many years. Some manufacturers have switched to laser cut buttons, which tend to last much longer than screenprint. However, it typically costs more to manufacture.

For $500 you would think the keypad would last longer than 5 months. They can't figure out that some people eat ribs? God you should have seen my uncles tv remote. It could have fed a family of three for a week. About a 1/4 inch of KFC breading crumbs and sauce. Numbers never wore, dissolved, faded, etc.

OK so a laser cut keypad at $0.15 or a printed keypad for $0.10.

I remember a guy at a major tire company that figured out a way to save about $15.00 on a $25,000 tire for a 170 ton haul truck used in open pit mining. People were not happy when the adjustments started to come in. The mine though, spent millions a year and promptly got free replacement tires. Too bad we just by one scanner at a time. No one cares. Get pissed off at GRE and buy a Uniden and have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.