PSR-500 and ORION

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUrge

PSR-500 and ORIN

So the the other day I bought a PRO-96 to hear ORIN. I got it all programmed and I wasn't impressed in the least. I probably was getting only 25-30% of the conversation - the rest was all digital artifacting. I upgraded the firmware, tried my 800mhz antenna and I still did not get much improvement. So the 96 is now up on ebay. :lol:

Anyways I've been eyeballing the new PSR-500's, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger (should be here on Wednesday). I was just curious if anyone has any experience with the new gre radios here in Omaha? From what I've read in the GRE fourm I understand there still is some simulcasting issues but it sounds like there is some improvement. Will there be a noticable difference with the 500 or am I going to still experience about the same error rate?

Last edited:

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i own a psr 500 and use it to listen to the ORION a few times a week. although ive never used a pro 96 to compare this to, i can definetely relate to the poor audio quality issue. i created a thread regarding this in the GRE forum and the answer i was given is that the problem is that its a simulcast system. if im inside the city of omaha it usually works perfectly, but when i get out in the county, like near waterloo or valley, i still get all 5 signal bars, but the audio suffers miserably. the non simulcast oppd towers i listen to (elkhorn, telbasta, and cedar bluffs) all sound AMAZING (from my house in fremont) i owned a uniden bcd396t and i can say the psr500 definetely does better then the 396, even with its new 2.0 firmware update. but still, theres room for improvment on the psr500

hope this helps. also i cant wait to hear your review of how it performs on this system

Last edited:

TheUrge

Thanks for the report. I actually live in the city limits so it will be interesting to see how it sounds. When I get my radio on Wednesday, I'll definitely post a review.

TheUrge

Wow this forum is dead...

I got my 500 in the mail yesterday and I've had some time to test it out. I got ORIN plugged in yesterday and gave it a try. It works alot better than the Pro-96 IMO. If you are indoors you still have to move the scanner around the house a bit to get the channel to decode right. But it works pretty well.

I also got a chance to drive around a bit with it and it works very well in town. There are a couple spots where it cuts out, but for the most part I was able to recieve about 85-90% of transmissions (which is a far cry from what I was geting with the 96). Of course this is to be expected on a multicast system. I did upgrade the firmware to the latest, so I think that probably helped a bit.

Anyways, this is my initial review of decoding Omaha with the PSR-500. If anyone is thinking about picking one up here in Omaha I would have to recommend it.

43g70

How much different is the programming on the PSR 500 compared to the Pro 97? I understand it object base, right?

TheUrge

How much different is the programming on the PSR 500 compared to the Pro 97? I understand it object base, right?

Yeah it's a little bit differant, but not too much. If anything it's easier to program a system on the 500 compared to the 97. Of course I use win500 to program my scanner, but I did program one by hand. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

43g70

Ok, I thought you programmed the Pro 97 with Win97. Which I have used.

Hello Urge.

I have audio/decode problems with my PRO96, also. But only listening to ORION.

I have tried everything to improve the decode rate. Different antennas, coax, nothing made any real difference in reception with the exception of a yagi I purchased, it is pointed at 102nd and Maple site, I live near 72nd and Military. It made a fair improvement, but I still have decode/reception problems.

From what I understand, besides the simulcasting, PRO 96 does not digest CQPSK modulation very well, which ORION uses CQPSK. C4FM and other types of modulation work wonders with the PRO96.

Speaking of OPPD, I get Elkhorn, Blair, Cedar Bluffs, Gretna, Telbasta, all within no less thant 95% decode rate, on omnidirectional scanner antenna, except Telbasta, it is around 55% and during good conditions, Murray tower drops in at 35%.

At least I can hear OPPD without any fuss when the lights go out.
Fire and Police, iffy at best.
At least my fire dept. still gets toned out over 453.3250 and I can hear what they are up to over good 'ole analog.

ScanTheFreqs

Banned
you mention a site at 102nd and maple, i thought there were only 2 sites; one at hummel park and the other at the intersection of interstates 80 and 480. are there other sites? if so where are they all?

ScanTheFreqs

Banned
that first link lists all the sites for the entire ORION, i was referring to just the douglas county simulcast, the site used by douglas county law enforcment. does anyone know if there is more then 2 towers for the douglas county simulcast, and if so where

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
There's a PDF around here some where, and if you look you'll see Titan Tower (28th and B Streets) plus the one down town, Elkhorn, Hummel Park.

I want to say there's like 5 sites maybe. Just look at the map and click away. Any within the city are going to be simulcasted tower sites for the OPD 800trk sys.

43g70

102nd and Maple

111nd and I street

Elkhorn Water Tower

156th and Maple

Hummel Park

Titan Tower(480 and 80)

Down Town

40th and Nicholas St.

These are the sites for the Douglas County Simulcast system.

miked2000

messing around

Have you messed with your settings at all? Living on the back side of the bluffs in Iowa I was having the same problem and after messing around found out that by adding a inline pre-amp my problem was that I was getting some interferance from somplace (I assume a cell tower), anyway after trying diferent combination I am getting almost 100% audio decoding with a 3 element yagi inside, using a cheap radio shack preamp and turning the attinuation on (I know it sounds like one is defeating the other but it works) and I almost never have any break up any more. In additon the preamp lets me receive the local stuff on vhf and uhf ok with the yagi.

By the way I feed the scanner into a little FM broadcast unit when I am working around the house and can pick it up on any FM radio in the house or yard.

Sometimes you just have to mess around a bit. I think the Pro 96 / 2096 has problems decoding the simulcasting systems but if you hit the right combiation it does work so it is not imposible.

Hello Urge.

I have audio/decode problems with my PRO96, also. But only listening to ORION.

I have tried everything to improve the decode rate. Different antennas, coax, nothing made any real difference in reception with the exception of a yagi I purchased, it is pointed at 102nd and Maple site, I live near 72nd and Military. It made a fair improvement, but I still have decode/reception problems.

From what I understand, besides the simulcasting, PRO 96 does not digest CQPSK modulation very well, which ORION uses CQPSK. C4FM and other types of modulation work wonders with the PRO96.

Status
Not open for further replies.