psr 500 antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlevin312

Premium Subscriber
I have a PSR 500 with the 800 mhz radio shack antenna. Is there a better antenna for monitoring 150 mhz up through the 800 mhz band? I am looking for another "rubber duck" style antenna.

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
there are much better antennas then that one for the 150mhz range, however you will have to sacrifice some 800mhz performance, finding the "best of both worlds" is near impossible ive come to find out

Antenna answer

Not too surprising, the people who designed the radio knew what they were doing when they spec'd the antenna.

This antenna does a good job on VHF through 900mhz, and anything you get that has gain in a SPECIFIC range is going to do WORSE in other ranges. Just use the one that is on it. Save your money. I have found that the 800 mhz antennas don't do nearly as well in the VHF air band, which I enjoy listening to. Some of the most interesting stuff is said between the police helicopters around here, which use this band, and talk quite openly when on these frequencies. I even did a bit of VHF Low listening in California recently, and you can forget that range with an 800 mhz antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.