Psr-500 awful reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolhead64

Hello everybody, I recently acquired a psr-500 to monitor Floyd County, GA's fancy new digital system and I must say I am very disappointed. I have adjusted and fiddled with every setting I can think of and tried everything I can find on forums.
However my psr-500 is constantly garbled, not decoding the digital signal, missing transmissions, dropping transmissions in the middle of the call on both sides of the transmission.
Now sometimes it's Crystal clear, often it's not. And it makes no difference whether i am close to town or way out in the county. Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

My first thought is that the system is a multisite simulcast system. Scanners generally don't do well with simulcasts because the scanner is receiving from 2 or more sites. Try turning the attenuator ON and AGC OFF for the system. It's not near perfect it helps. Another option is to use a directional antenna and point it toward the nearest site.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Floyd County Programmed

Since this is a relatively small system, I went ahead and programmed your county for you. When I program a particular P25 trunking system, particularly those with only one site, I include all of the "system frequencies" unless the total of which exceeds 32. In your case, I was able to program all of these frequencies. I might add, all are shown in red indicating all are control channels. Since I doubt this is truly the case, I suppose someone was indicating that it is necessary to program all. Some agencies will switch their control channels around during the usage of such a system.

I also constructed a Scan List of said talk groups and frequencies.

Finally, I changed the P25 trunking system to "roam" with the following thresholds: threshold hi = 85; threshold lo = 55.

I have forwarded a Private Message outlining this.

If this does not work or you don't possess WIn500, you might consider buying this for programming purposes since it allows you to see the inside of what is being programmed in one large screen instead of the LCD portal on the scanner.

Finally, sometimes, as previously indicated, there are various attenuator adjustments and/or antenna modifications that might need to be made. You might also look at the location of the system site to see how far you are from the transmitting area.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Hello everybody, I recently acquired a psr-500 to monitor Floyd County, GA's fancy new digital system and I must say I am very disappointed. I have adjusted and fiddled with every setting I can think of and tried everything I can find on forums.
However my psr-500 is constantly garbled, not decoding the digital signal, missing transmissions, dropping transmissions in the middle of the call on both sides of the transmission.
Now sometimes it's Crystal clear, often it's not. And it makes no difference whether i am close to town or way out in the county. Any ideas?

There is a thread in the Georgia state forum about the problems of the Floyd county system. You are not the only one to have difficulty. Feel free to come on down to the forum for further help.
Larry

coolhead64

Agc off and attenuator on seems to maybe have helped a little, it's hard to tell in the time I've listened in the past day

Status
Not open for further replies.