PSR-500 backlight question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4JNW

New to the PSR-500, am using Starr's software to program it.

Is it possible to change the backlight setting where the backlight comes on when the squelch is opened, like some of the RadioShack scanners do, or is this something that is RS only?

Thanks!

jrrob8

Is it possible to change the backlight setting where the backlight comes on when the squelch is opened, like some of the RadioShack scanners do, or is this something that is RS only?

Thanks!
Yes you can. light mode on, light area both for display and keyboard on.

N4JNW

Wrong, light mode on, turns the backlight on indefinately. This is not what I want. From my research, I don't think it's possible.. Just curious as to if anyone had a trick..

Thanks!

mikey60

Wrong, light mode on, turns the backlight on indefinately. This is not what I want. From my research, I don't think it's possible.. Just curious as to if anyone had a trick..

Thanks!

You can't have it automatically turn on no matter what opens the squelch, however you can get a similar effect if you edit all objects, and turn on the backlight option for all of those objects. It's not quite what you were asking for, but may suffice...

Note that you would have to set that option for any new object you create as well.

Mike

KE5BCP

Analog Man

Thanks!

This is done on a per-channel basis.

For each object (CONV or TSYS), highlight a channel by clicking on it.
On the right side of the window choose your option at the drop-down labeled "Backlight". Options are "Off", "On", and "Flash".

jrrob8

Sorry about that, I was right, just didn't get the setup right. I'll try not to make that mistake again, I'll spend the time to review how I do things before I give out info. This was the first setup I did when got my first 500, this feature was one that made my decision to purchase easy.

N4JNW

Also, is there a way to make the LED on top dimmer? I'm finding it's a bit annying when it lights up. I dont want to shut it off completely because it is handy sometimes, but when it kicks on it's way too bright for my liking.

mikey60

Also, is there a way to make the LED on top dimmer? I'm finding it's a bit annying when it lights up. I dont want to shut it off completely because it is handy sometimes, but when it kicks on it's way too bright for my liking.

Yes, just reduce the intensity of each color in each of the 8 locations (7 really, since the first one is all off).

Mike

N4JNW

Awesome! That works perfect.

Ok, one other thing and then I'll shut up. I have two trunked systems programmed, one is EDACS, and the other is MOT Type II.

Is there a way to make the scanner "search" for TGID's within each trunked system, rather than "scanning" the TGID's I have programmed in? I know the 396T's will do this, and I remember my Old Pro-97 did it, but I can't figure out how to get the PSR-500 to do it, if it's even possible?

Thanks for everyone's help!!

mikey60

Awesome! That works perfect.

Ok, one other thing and then I'll shut up. I have two trunked systems programmed, one is EDACS, and the other is MOT Type II.

Is there a way to make the scanner "search" for TGID's within each trunked system, rather than "scanning" the TGID's I have programmed in? I know the 396T's will do this, and I remember my Old Pro-97 did it, but I can't figure out how to get the PSR-500 to do it, if it's even possible?

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Sure, create a wildcard talkgroup object in each system.

Mike

mikey60

Can you please elaborate? (Sorry, I just got the 500 today and I'm learning)

I'm not familiar with how to create a wildcard talkgroup object in Win500, so I can't go into much detail on that, but to search for new talkgroups, you would create a wildcard talkgroup object assigned to the TSYS object. You can also search for private calls by creating a private wildcard object.

Mike

N4JNW

I just added another "line" down at the bottom and "Wildcard" automatically popped up in the "Group" or "Radio ID" column. Then I just saved it again. I done this for both systems at the bottom of each trunked system's TGID list.

I guess this is what I'm supposed to do?

qlajlu

Silent Key
I just added another "line" down at the bottom and "Wildcard" automatically popped up in the "Group" or "Radio ID" column. Then I just saved it again. I done this for both systems at the bottom of each trunked system's TGID list.

I guess this is what I'm supposed to do?

Yep, that is exactly what you are supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.