PSR-500 Battery Charge Time Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3NEU

Premium Subscriber
New to the PSR-500 scanner so this question may ring of newbie, but here it goes. I use NiMH batteries so I set the battery type to NiMH seems reasonable. When I look at the charge time setting its default is 99, but the docs say the default for NiMH is 16 hours. So I’m confused as to what the charge time settings are calibrated for, does 99 just mean use default (16 hours) and any other number would equal to hours or does it mean it charges for 99 hours?

cfr301

New to the PSR-500 scanner so this question may ring of newbie, but here it goes. I use NiMH batteries so I set the battery type to NiMH seems reasonable. When I look at the charge time setting its default is 99, but the docs say the default for NiMH is 16 hours. So I’m confused as to what the charge time settings are calibrated for, does 99 just mean use default (16 hours) and any other number would equal to hours or does it mean it charges for 99 hours?
I'm Using Durcells the Expensive ones, I charge them for ( hours get about *+ out of a charge. The default is IMHO dangerous to chg batteries in the radio. MANY have suggested charging your batteries OUTSIDE the radio, thats really the safest way to charge your batteries.

Rick

KB3NEU

Premium Subscriber
That's what I thought thanks. I do use the battery charger when I can, but it's not always an option. I figure if I set the radio charger to 8 hours I should be safe when I'm away from the charger.

cfr301

That's what I thought thanks. I do use the battery charger when I can, but it's not always an option. I figure if I set the radio charger to 8 hours I should be safe when I'm away from the charger.

Just don't mix brands make sure which type of rechargable you have and PAY for quality rechargeables cheapo crap tends to have issues!!!

akuser47

I am a newbie as well I found this thread searching for an answer I am useing duracell nihm batteries they have been wondreful in all my other gadgets so I am trying them in this psr500 I got. As mentioned already default is 99 . I still don't understand what does 99 stand for minutes? hours? seconds? or is this like a folder designation. I want to set up the scanner to charge my batteries I really don't want to have to take them in and out all the time. or is there batteries that are made for this scanner and it's default setting? Thanks in advance to any help, also I have seen that almost all posts related to this topic end with the suggestion that they be charged externally rather than internally but why would it matter if it can be set up correctly. I hate to be popping batteries in and out all the time.

Last edited:

tobarger

Here is an excerpt from:
Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Hope this helps.

Charge Time (106/500): Allows you to set the battery charge time in hours. 0 = off. The battery charger charges at a current rate of 150 mA. The charger is disabled when Battery is set to Alkaline. The default charge time (99) will charge 9 hours for Ni-Cd batteries and 16 hours for Ni-MH batteries.

Enter the amount of time, 0 - 16, 99 hours, the charger will charge.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I hate to be popping batteries in and out all the time.

You could always get another battery insert and have another set on standby. (by the way I never advocate charging the batteries in a half-a-kilobuck radio, but that's just my experience).

akuser47

Well if I do charge externally how many of you have done this. Change the batteries out alot does the module hold up and what about the battery cover how does it hold up to the extra wear? and tear? I know I can buy extra modules and battery covers.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I've not had any problem removing or inserting the batteries into the pack. There doesn't appear to be any wear on the contacts in the battery sleeve, or the scanner contacts, from regular usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.