PSR-500 Battery Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakemcgraw

Another good charger for the 500's batteries and other handhelds, that gets left out alot is the Rayovac PS3 universal charger,,very well built and solid and heavy feel to it,,charges 4 batteries of any type,,but AAA and our common AA batteries it can charge anywhere from 1 to 8 at a time,,And like the more expensive chargers it charges each cell individually !,,usually takes 10-12 hrs. to charge 4 AA for me, the 2500 mah ones,,Slower charge is better, it gives longer run time..Ebay price for a brand new rayovac charger is usually $10.00 to $20.00 + ship...A good deal...I posted about this charger once before , but added a bit to it,,.....If interested see it at www.rayovac.com .......Model PS3.

Last edited:

a1rusty

Sonofagun! After reading this thread, I decided to silence the low battery beeps... so glad I did. Now, even though I get the battery icon intermittently, the 500 seems to run every bit as long as my 95 did on a set on batteries. What blows my mind is that the battery icon will com on, usually during channel activity, but goes of while the unit is scanning. Before I turned the beep off, it would start beeping within an hour of taking the scanner off the charger, and would beep regularly until I put it back on a charger (car or house). Go figure! And thanks.

beischel

raisindot said:
Just out of curiousity--how many hours of use are you getting from your rechargeables? I just bought two sets of brand new Energizer NiHh 2500s and charged them in my cheapo 5-hour NIMH charger. These gave about 7 hours of running time before I get the "battery low" beep. Admittedly, I turn the thing on and off a lot (I use at work), and I've got the LEDs lighting up like Christmas for different talkgroups, but I also listen only through headphones.

Is this untypical, and would getting a $50 charger really deliver that much better performance from these batteries?

Suzie

I have 2700 NiMH batteries, that I charge overnight with the radio and get about 9 hours continuous running. Display lights on all received stations and only a few freqs do I have the LED flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.