PSR-500 Belt Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Where can I pick up a clip for my 500? Mine broke last night. Right now I am using the clip from my Pro-97. Tried looking on GREs website and didn't see anything. I think I have seen it somewhere just don't remember where.

hypersight

I would try GRE support. http://www.greamerica.com/support/index.php
I know it's more for submitting a ticket for a problem, but give it a shot anyways. I'm sure someone there could point you to the right direction.
EDIT: click on "submit a ticket" then it will give you an online form to fill out.

Last edited:

dpm3

Where to order belt clip

GRE can supply direct -

Belt Clip P/N: 100-012 = $$4.99/ea

Call 650-591-1400 to place order

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
On one of my other radios, I ended up making my own belt clip. I took a piece of coat hanger, bent it into a U, and soldered ring-type wire terminals onto the ends. Much sturdier, and you can customize it any way you like. I find the PSR-500 hangs onto my belt tighter than I would like (I often take my radio off my belt to check the display), so I'll probably make one for this radio.

hypersight

Just curious....... Who here doesn't use their belt clip? I took mine off as soon as I got my scanner. I just put in a holder on my desk at home and when I'm on the road I also put it into a holder while driving. When I'm out walking or hiking I just hate the thought of the clip breaking off and the radio doing a face plant on the ground. I keep mine in a fanny pack

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
Just curious....... Who here doesn't use their belt clip? I took mine off as soon as I got my scanner. I just put in a holder on my desk at home and when I'm on the road I also put it into a holder while driving. When I'm out walking or hiking I just hate the thought of the clip breaking off and the radio doing a face plant on the ground. I keep mine in a fanny pack

I don't use my belt clip anymore, the plastic that holds the belt clip on broke off so now I have to either buy a new housing or rig one up. I know it won't happen but wish they made a rugged housing, I know I've never broken any Motorola belt clips or housings.

Last edited:
I keep the clip on because I use it sometimes. Those who stuff it in a pocket find the paint on the keys will wear off.

What STINKS is that the damn thing holds on for dear life, and I mean in a big way, to my leather belt. There is no leverage point to release it, and it won't just let go. I have to carefully wedge a finger between the clip and my belt, and at the same time lift. I HATE IT.

Just yanking it off, is going to break something, given enough time. The clip I don't care about, but breaking the mounting off the scanner body would make me very unhappy.

No good answer for this really. The mount isn't strong, so no matter what you do for a clip there is a weak point there.

I long for the day when they add $50 to the price of scanners so that they can be as tough as a professional radio like a motorola. I would GLADLY pay the extra dollars for something that tough.

The PSR internals are top notch, but the case, clip, and (in my case) antenna connection, are pretty cheap. Fortunately a diamond RH519 antenna solved one issue, but my case still "creeks" when you press the side in certain places, and the clip is junk.

Patch42

Just curious....... Who here doesn't use their belt clip?
I don't use it as a belt clip. I'm wide enough as it is without wearing stuff on my belt to make me even wider.

I do find the clip makes a handy grip when just holding the radio. Putting my fingers on the far side of the clip I can pull the radio into my palm a bit more. It feels like I have the radio more firmly in hand this way.

Thanks for the reminder tip on the Diamond RH519. I saw that a while back and forgot about it.

Todd/Indy
KC9NEG

It fits and works so well every 500 owner should have one IMHO. Plus it takes 99% of the stress off the connector for those of you like myself who carry it EVERYWHERE under all conditions. According to the "scanner guy" at HRO in Phoenix, it has sweet spots at 120/144/155/430/460/860. Because of this I would say it is probably the best scanner duck going as far as performance. The Diamond 77 has a touch better performance on VHF, but is as long as your arm and that doesn't cut it for my uses most of the time. Though for those who own only the PSR-500 and want the best duck performance possible when they set their scanner on a desk and listen, it is the best choice.

It is irritating that uniden made an industrial strength belt clip complete with steel stud for the 396, and then GRE comes out with this sorry excuse for a belt clip. If I wear it on my belt, then hear something cool and want to look at the display, it is usually too late by the time I wrestle my scanner off my belt. All I can do is hit pause (better memorize it's location), and then take it off to read things.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
What i did in the past is use a metal Icom belt clip for one of the amateur radio handhelds .. .it was solid and no chance of your radio hitting the pavement. If you get something that is close to the 500, you can probably just machine it to what is needed. :p

N0GTG

Premium Subscriber
I used the older heavy wire coat hangers, but thinner wire might be OK, too. Pretty darn cheap to try different things. I forgot the PSR-500 has that mechanism that the clip slides into. I'm thinking of other radios I've had that had the threaded holes for mounting the clip. I'll have to get inventive to make a wire clip mount on the 500.

N0GTG

Premium Subscriber
Well, I studied the attachment of the PSR-500 clip, and decided there was no good way to make a wire clip. I decided to use a 'button' attachment like some cellphones have used. I have a large version of this on my BC-396, and although I didn't initially like it, I have grown fond of it. I attached a stick-on button directly below the clip attachment on the back of the radio. Oh, and if you haven't discovered it yet, the clip is removable by pulling the little latch in the middle towards you and pushing the clip upward.

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
I broke the plastic that holds the belt clip on and my housing has a lot of wear on it so I went ahead and put a XTS3000 belt clip on it. The XTS3000 belt clip will slide in where the old belt clip went in but it wont lock in like the factory belt clip so I used duramix epoxy which is very strong so it wont come off. If the plastic wouldn't of broken I probably could of grinded down the XTS belt clip and made it work without using the epoxy but im not to worried about it for now because im gonna end up buying a new housing in the future.
25iam1u.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.