PSR-500 BNC Center wire connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

redandblue

I have a PSR-500 that is deaf compared to what it was when it was new. I took the radio apart and noticed that the center wire coming from the bottom of the BNC connection had come loose from the wire going to the circuit board. I was looking through the hole from pulling the side tab up. I was able to get the wire from the circuit board back in contact with the BNC connection but it isn't rock solid, and I would like to get it soldered back right. I put it all back together and the scanner has come back alive. The problem is I don't know how to get good access in behind the silver cover, that is covering all the antenna connections and everything else. Is there a way to remove this cover to gain access, or do I need to take/send it somewhere to get it repaired? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

darrylcn

When we (as in my dad, hehe) soldered mine we lifted up that little tab on the cover that's a few mm wide. You can bend it 90 degrees or so to get it out of the way and then bend back down when finished the repair since it's not attached to the PCB. Doing that allowed a small soldering iron to access the antenna/wire combo. Anyone who is comfortable soldering and has access to a small iron should be able to fix it if you're not looking to send it somewhere.

I just looked for and found the pic I created when mine was fixed back in 2011. The tab I was referring to above is indicated by the red arrow here:
500n.png

Hope that helps some.

kb8rvp

I have a PSR-500 that is deaf compared to what it was when it was new. I took the radio apart and noticed that the center wire coming from the bottom of the BNC connection had come loose from the wire going to the circuit board. I was looking through the hole from pulling the side tab up. I was able to get the wire from the circuit board back in contact with the BNC connection but it isn't rock solid, and I would like to get it soldered back right. I put it all back together and the scanner has come back alive. The problem is I don't know how to get good access in behind the silver cover, that is covering all the antenna connections and everything else. Is there a way to remove this cover to gain access, or do I need to take/send it somewhere to get it repaired? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Did you even get the center BNC wire fixed?

Mike

redandblue

Yes I did get it fixed. And it is working great now. I was able to grab the wire coming from the board and laid it across the BNC connector and was able to solder it back. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.