PSR-500 BNC Connector Gone Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner_Ed

Feed Provider
Hello,

I noticed previously that my mag mount antenna's BNC connector had an issue making contact with the BNC connector of my PSR-500. When I pushed the antenna (male) side down by hand I could hear a significant improvement in reception for the antenna, so I replaced the male BNC on the antenna side (twice). However, I now realize the connection issue is on the PSR-500 BNC... Has anyone had a similar issue and what did they do to resolve it? I run a feed and know I should be getting better reception for the very local agencies I stream....

Please advise and thank you.
/Ed

Gunner_Ed

Feed Provider
Thanks. If I need to send in my GRE PSR-500, who is servicing them these days?

tvengr

Well Known Member
The BNC connector problem is a common issue on the PSR-500, Pro-106, Pro-651, and WS1040 scanners. They all use the same design. It is usually due to a broken solder connection between the antenna connector and the circuit board. I would remove the cover to see if it is visible.

ScannerSK

If you have a small enough iron and a steady hand, there is a large enough opening in the metal shield covering the antenna connection on both sides of the board to enable soldering the antenna connection on both sides of the board. Otherwise, I believe the Whistler Group may work on the PSR-500 scanners. There is a note about repairs and a phone number you can call:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
This has happened to me on several GRE made scanners including the PSR-500. Earlier models were much easier to repair, but the connection from the antenna to the PCB goes inside a shield (which is on each side of the PCB). It takes some skill and/or proper equipment to remove the shields to access the place where it breaks.

Caution; it's best to have a short FLEXIBLE connection from the PCB to the BNC connector. If you don't, next time it can easily just rip the trace(s) off of the PCB.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have fixed this on my PSR-500, years ago. It was just a bad solder connection, the first time. The next time it was the contacts in the center of the BNC, which I gently pushed back into position, for a little more lifespan.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
The BNC module in a PSR 500 is a piece of ca ca. It is one of the worst mountings I've ever encountered. I have had mine fixed on several occasions. It does not take much to dislodge this module. Even leaning the rubber antenna against an object will do it in. I let someone keep my model in his office which was next door to mine. It stayed in the propped position, on the window sill, for quite some time. It is still broken. It nearly ended up like my Canon G1X, smashed against the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.