PSR-500.. both a wildcard and a talkgroup ID in the same system. Any way to get it to

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

The issue I have is sometimes it will pick up the transmission under the 'wildcard' and therefore wont display the alphatag attached to the talkgroup item.

I want to be able to monitor both new talkgroups (wildcard *) and existing talkgroups for Ohio MARCS.

It will still show the talkgroup ID, just not the alphatag, because it picked it up under the wildcard.

In fact, it will confuse me and make me think the existing talkgroup is 'new' because it picked it up first under the wildcard and not show the alphatag for that talkgroup (which is also programmed in).

Is there a way to get aroud this?

I have OH MARCs split across 6 different banks since its a huge statewide system. I have my talkgroups named and also split across 6 different banks, along with wildcards * across 6 different banks. This is necessary because if I had to list each talkgroup 6 separate times then I would quickly reach the maximum limit of 'object' storage on my scanner.

Also, most of those talkgroup users are mobile and could theoretically end up in any part of the stae so they need to be accessible regardlss of which of the 6 'TSYSID's' that I have activated.

Last edited:

mikey60

Normally the PSR-500 will display a stored talkgroup if it exists within the TSYS before displaying it as a wildcard hit. However if you have the talkgroup in a disabled scan list, it may show it unless the option to ignore them is set (it is set by default).

To check that setting on the radio, press PGM, then F3 (GLOB).
Press FUNC then the Down arrow to go to the bottom of the menu
Press the Up arrow twice to get to the TGRP Ignore option. Set that to Yes.
Press F1 to save the change.

Mike

dizwiz

OK. thank you.

You followed my difficult question 100%.

Mine was set at talkgroup ignore as : YES.

So I set it as NO.

I will see if this works.

Im hoping, though, that it wont use talkgroups from the other non-MARCS trunked sites that I have in there - if any happen to be the same #.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I have OH MARCs split across 6 different banks since its a huge statewide system. I have my talkgroups named and also split across 6 different banks, along with wildcards * across 6 different banks.

The PSR-500 doesn't have Banks, so it sounds offhand like a generic programming error / misunderstanding.

dizwiz

The PSR-500 doesn't have Banks, so it sounds offhand like a generic programming error / misunderstanding.

OK.

I have all of Ohio MARCS many control channel sites set across 6 different individually selectable TSYS ID 'objects' of control site channels that correspond to different geographic regions of the state I may travel in. I can turn on whichever one of the 6 groups I am traveling in to listen to those control chanel sites nearest to me.

I have to do it this way since any one of those 6 TSYS ID group can only handle up to 32 max. control chanels. Since ther are many more than 32 primary control channels, I must use more than one TSYS ID 'object ' to encompass all the possible primary control channels in use by the statewide system 'OHIO MARCS'.

My issue though is about the 734 talkgroups I have for the entire state. I must be able to recycle these regardless of which of the '6' TSYS ID 'Objects' that I am in.

Having to repeat 734 talkgroups (and those are only the ones I care about) 6 times makes for 4400 talkgrooups which would exceed memory capacity when combined with all the other systems I monitor.

V-folders might be a solution, but for now Id like to have any one of those 6 'TSYS ID' 'objects' be able to scan/recognize/ alphatag those 734 talkgroups.

This appears to work fine, except for on occasion it will pick up the 'wildcard' version of a talkgroup instead of the alphatag version.

Last edited:

Highpockets

OK.

I have all of Ohio MARCS many control channel sites set across 6 different individually selectable 'groups' of control site channels that correspond to different geographic regions of the state I may travel in. I can turn on whichever one of the 6 groups I am traveling in to listen to those control chanel sites nearest to me.

I have to do it this way since I believe that any one individually selectable TSYS ID group can only handle up to 32 max. control chanels? I must use more than one bank to encompass all the possible primary control channels in use by the statewide system 'OHIO MARCS'.

My issue though is about the 734 talkgroups I have for the entire state. 734 * 6 is a big number. Probably 5000.

So I need to 'reuse' OHIO MARCS talkgroups frm TSYS ID goups that are not currently open such that I can see the alphatag of who is talking.

Puting 734 talkgroup ID's into each TSYS ID groups is not feasible and would quickly exced the max. memory of the unit -combined with other systems I monitor.

Maybe you can use the V-Folders to set up different areas. Cut the state into 4 areas and set up each area in a different V-Folder, so you can change on the fly as your traveling. Or as many V-Folders as you need to accomplish your setup.

Last edited:

mikey60

OK. thank you.

You followed my difficult question 100%.

Mine was set at talkgroup ignore as : YES.

So I set it as NO.

I will see if this works.

Im hoping, though, that it wont use talkgroups from the other non-MARCS trunked sites that I have in there - if any happen to be the same #.

You really want that options set to Yes. What is most likely happening, is that among those 6 TSYS objects you created, you have other sites becoming active on other TSYS objects that don't have those talkgroups programmed... As each one hits that talkgroup, you're hitting on the wildcard for that TSYS.

Mike

ibagli

You really want that options set to Yes. What is most likely happening, is that among those 6 TSYS objects you created, you have other sites becoming active on other TSYS objects that don't have those talkgroups programmed... As each one hits that talkgroup, you're hitting on the wildcard for that TSYS.

I'm guessing this is what happened too. MARCS sites don't all have unique frequencies, so a TSYS object with control channels for one area might become active in another part of the state, perhaps even on a different trunked system.

dizwiz

I'm guessing this is what happened too. MARCS sites don't all have unique frequencies, so a TSYS object with control channels for one area might become active in another part of the state, perhaps even on a different trunked system.

OK,

I looked at my control channel lists (for all 6 'TSYS OBJECTS').

OHIO MARCS (I still like the word 'bank', but Ill try to avod using that word) is programmed across 3-4-5-6-7-8

You are right, some control channels are repeated more than once between TSYS IDs.

All of my MARCS talkgroups show up under TSYSID 3, but also have SCANLIST MAP 4,5,6,7,8, enabled as well. Thats the part where Im hoping it allows the other MARCS 'TSYS ID OBJECTS' to pick them up.

If I go to TSYSID 4,5,6,7,8, then no talkgroups show up in there (other than * wildcard). Im hoping by having all enabled in SCANLIST MAP that I all the talkgroups in TSYSID 3 can be utilized when Im in TSYSID 4,5,6,7,8.

BTW, I spend most of my time in TSYS ID 3.

Thats where I mentioned that it would use a lot of memory to repeat 756 talkgroups 6 times.
I want to avoid using v-folders because if Im in a border area between 2 zones its going to extra effort (while driving) to load the new v-folder. Its easiest for me to switch on/off a TSYS ID group by hitting 3 or 4, etc. on my keypad.

Heres what my scanlist 3 looks like...
Scanlist3.jpg

Heres what scanlist4 looks lik
scanlist4.jpg

Last edited:

DonS

* A TGRP object is only associated with 1 TSYS object.
* A TGRP object can belong to zero or more scan lists.
* TSYS objects do not belong to scan lists.

In your screen shots above:

* When the 2nd TSYS is being scanned, the scanner will "see" all of the TGRPs programmed into that TSYS.
* When the 3rd TSYS is being scanned, the scanner will "see" only the wildcard TGRP programmed into that TSYS.

If you have multiple TSYS objects and you want them to "share" a common set of TGRPs, you must duplicate those shared TGRPs across all TSYS objects.

dizwiz

* A TGRP object is only associated with 1 TSYS object.
* A TGRP object can belong to zero or more scan lists.
* TSYS objects do not belong to scan lists.

In your screen shots above:

* When the 2nd TSYS is being scanned, the scanner will "see" all of the TGRPs programmed into that TSYS.
* When the 3rd TSYS is being scanned, the scanner will "see" only the wildcard TGRP programmed into that TSYS.

If you have multiple TSYS objects and you want them to "share" a common set of TGRPs, you must duplicate those shared TGRPs across all TSYS objects.

My only issue I have with this is why can I select addition scanlist MAPS (look at screenshot one) ? I have specified the talkgroups to be active in SCANLIST MAPS 3-4-5-6-7-8?

Then why would it allow me to do that? I dont want to give up yet on this not being able to work.

Sometimes it does seem to show the talkgroup ID when Im in a different zone.

Well what about this....what if I leave TSYS ID 3 'ON' in addition to whatever TSYS ID where Im currently at?
Then would it work?

DonS

A talkgroup can be in lots of scan lists. You can have talkgroups from several systems in the same scan list. Scan lists are only indirectly related to trunked systems. A talkgroup's scan list membership has nothing to do with which trunked system it belongs to.

When you click on the trunked system in Win500, you see its list of talkgroups in the bottom grid. That single TSYS-TGRP association is the only thing that matters to the scanner when it is scanning a trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.