psr-500 bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvawatch

I think I may have a bug..or something. i dont know if this has already been posted, but I didnt see it anywhere. I dont have many details, but I know that every now and then when I am scanning several systems and then I press manual while a talkgroup is active (to listen to just that talkgroup), the scanner jumps to some random talkgroup on scanlist 14. (scanlist 14 isnt even one of the active scanlists)

anyone else notice this? It's kinda annoying because the reason I press Manual is because I find the voice traffic important or interesting, so it sucks when it jumps to a totally wrong talkgroup.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Use pause (PSE) instead of manual to hold a talk group. Manual did the trick in the past, but it performs a different function on the PSR-500. Hit scan to resume when done listening to the talk group.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
It used to work with man but it does this now. Not that big of a deal since pause works but man did do the trick when the radio first came out (CPU/DSP updates cause this?).

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I've been using manual and haven't noticed any problems (but I haven't scanned a whole lot since the last update). :(

I remember reading that when you use pause and then lose the control channel and then pick it back up, that the TG that the scanner is paused on won't resume? Is this accurate?

kikito

Premium Subscriber
anyone else notice this? It's kinda annoying because the reason I press Manual is because I find the voice traffic important or interesting, so it sucks when it jumps to a totally wrong talkgroup.

Yeah, I've seen that sometimes. I haven't figure out why it chooses the same talkgroup each time it happens i.e. lowest TG number or lowest object #, etc.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Use pause (PSE) instead of manual to hold a talk group. Manual did the trick in the past, but it performs a different function on the PSR-500. Hit scan to resume when done listening to the talk group.

Depending on the system and if you are using the Multi-Site feature, some of us use the Manual button when we want the scanner to follow a particular TG across all the programmer sites. Pause only stays on the same site.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Depending on the system and if you are using the Multi-Site feature, some of us use the Manual button when we want the scanner to follow a particular TG across all the programmer sites. Pause only stays on the same site.

Actually, a paused TG will switch sites if the current site becomes unsatisfactory to the radio--and I'm not sure how bad it has to get. I've also had it switch sites on occasion while in multisite 'stat' mode. (I did a lengthy side-by-side test with two radios one night...one on Pause and one on Manual.

On multisite, I often find that the first time I hit manual after turning the radio on, the radio goes to object # 0000 rather than stop on what I'm listening to. After that, it's normally okay.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Actually, a paused TG will switch sites if the current site becomes unsatisfactory to the radio--and I'm not sure how bad it has to get. I've also had it switch sites on occasion while in multisite 'stat' mode. (I did a lengthy side-by-side test with two radios one night...one on Pause and one on Manual.

And that's the thing, I want the radio to keep searching all the control channels looking for the TG I want, since some TGs constantly switch sites. That's what the Stat setting and Manual would do for you. Roam and Pause will only stick to one site and only change sites when the signal is lost or the thresholds you set are met.

Status
Not open for further replies.