PSR-500 CC Lockout possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewAddict

So I have done some searching on here and the manual but cant seem to find an answer on whether or not its possible to lockout certain Control Channels of a TSYS? I use PSREdit to create my TSYS and enter the freqs but what I like to do is lockout the CC's that I don't want it to scan as I drive.

Or.....is this already determined by the setting of the "STAT" and/or "ROAM"???

Also, It appears that I cannot label each CC with a tower site name like I could on the Pro-96, is that correct? I liked being able to have the CC show up as "Howell Tower" or "Northville Tower" rather than just a frequency. I see no way to do this on the TSYS creation screen.

Thanks for the help.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Let me try and answer each question...

No, you cannot lockout a CC. It's basically an internal list. There's no way to tag them.
You can reorder the list so that the radio stops on the first CC ignoring the rest but I believe the mode needs to be ROAM to do that.

Otherwise you have to manually delete a CC from the list. If you fear not remembering the frequency you can change a number in the frequency as a reference to what used to be there.

RKG

Both STAT and ROAM have limitations.

ROAM attempts to emulate SmartZone, by seeking out the best (in terms of signal strength) control channel of those on the list. However, it does not mask control channels on the basis of SysID, and if, for instance, your wide area SmartZone system uses (in some far away zone) a control channel that is also used by some other system much closer to you, you're radio will likely dwell on that control channel for a while, and you will miss calls.

STAT attempts to get around SmartZone limitations for folks who are not moving, but in range of two or more "zones." The problem here is that Motorola SmartZone talkgroups come in three flavors: those that always are re-broadcast on all zones, those that are never re-broadcast outside of their "home" zone, and those that are re-broadcast outside of their "home" zones if, and only if, one or more users are presently affiliated on that "foreign" zone while selected on the talkgroup in question. STAT attempts to deal with this by rotating amongst all readable control channels, regardless of RSSI and regardless of SysID.

Some folks think that the "best" way to deal with this issue is as follows:

First, program one TSYS as the SmartZone system, with all 28 or 32 control channels. Eventually, this will tell you if you are in range of any zone. Alternatively, you can go to ANALYZE on the system and step through the control channels, looking (first) for data and (if found) reading the SysID to see if it is your system and (if so) what "zone" ("S" in PSR-500 display) you are receiving.

Second, program each of the constituent zones as a separate SmartNet II zone, with only its control channel(s). Once you've discovered (per the above) which "zone" is active for where you are, scan only that "zone." You should not miss any OSW assignments for any talkgroups that are re-broadcast on that zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.