PSR-500 / Check All CC: No

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
On a PSR-500 in the Trunked System menu there is an option that says "Check All CC: No". What does this control? I can not find a reference to it in the maual.

mikey60

On a PSR-500 in the Trunked System menu there is an option that says "Check All CC: No". What does this control? I can not find a reference to it in the maual.

This was added in a firmware update after the manual was written.

If you are in multi-site STAT mode, this option will control how the control channels are checked within the TSYS object.

If the option is on, every control channel in the TSYS will be checked on every pass through that TSYS.

If the option is off, only one control channel will be checked on each pass, but it will be a different one each time.

Mike

GTO_04

This was added in a firmware update after the manual was written.

If you are in multi-site STAT mode, this option will control how the control channels are checked within the TSYS object.

If the option is on, every control channel in the TSYS will be checked on every pass through that TSYS.

If the option is off, only one control channel will be checked on each pass, but it will be a different one each time.

Mike

What would be the advantage of setting that option to off?

GTO_04

mikey60

What would be the advantage of setting that option to off?

GTO_04

When it checks all control channels, especially if there are a lot of them, it can take quite some time to go through the TSYS when the option is turned on. With the option turned off, the radio only checks one control channel, so it spends less time in the tsys before scanning other objects.

Mike

GTO_04

When it checks all control channels, especially if there are a lot of them, it can take quite some time to go through the TSYS when the option is turned on. With the option turned off, the radio only checks one control channel, so it spends less time in the tsys before scanning other objects.

Mike

Makes sense. I can see where that would speed things up.

GTO_04

Nasby

Here's a question. Does it check all of the control channels that are active (in listening range) and skip over the ones that aren't active (i.e. too far away for the scanner to receive a signal)?

marauder6

Here's a question. Does it check all of the control channels that are active (in listening range) and skip over the ones that aren't active (i.e. too far away for the scanner to receive a signal)?

That's how it appears to work. There is a slight delay while it checks for a carrier on frequencies out of range.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
So I am in NJ (Listening to the NJSP), what would be the best setting for me since I am mobile all day?

guitarbrian30

Set it to Roam and then adjust the % HI and % low. You will have to find your SWEET SPOT! I have 92 as HI and 85 as low.

I find that traveling across several Digital towers over the course of a day, makes for easy listening and less garbling. Unless you like all that garbling.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
Can someone here tell me what my seetings should be set to for the NJSP. I seem to have alot of trouble monitoring this system. I am using the pro-106. A little cheat sheet would be great thanks. I already changed the settings as listed above. I am just looking for some more settings.

DiGiTaLD

My PSR-500 has firmware version U1.7 and I can't seem to find this option. I've checked the menu for the TSYS object and it isn't there. Where is it located?

Edit: I think I answered my own question. The TSYS has to be set for STAT mode, correct? If it is set to ROAM the option is not there?

What I don't like is that when set to ROAM and more than just the one TSYS object is being scanned, when the scanner comes back to the TSYS object that is set to ROAM from another object, it seems to pick the first usable control channel that it comes to rather than assess all of them and use the best one. This makes for some garbled digital voice when the voice channels from which ever site it picks are weak in signal strength. When only scanning the one TSYS object, it will only leave the best control channel when that control channel drops below the threshold, then it goes and looks for another one. I find that for the smoothest roaming between sites, scanning only one TSYS object set to ROAM is best.

I realize that it would take more time to assess all of the control channels in a TSYS object set to ROAM on each pass, but it would make for better signals if it would find the strongest site each time.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
What I don't like is that when set to ROAM and more than just the one TSYS object is being scanned, when the scanner comes back to the TSYS object that is set to ROAM from another object, it seems to pick the first usable control channel that it comes to rather than assess all of them and use the best one.
Set Threshold lo to a higher value (85 or maybe even 90). However, you may miss traffic if driving route gets to far from any tower. 80-85 may be best.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
Can someone here tell me what my seetings should be set to for the NJSP. I seem to have alot of trouble monitoring this system. I am using the pro-106. A little cheat sheet would be great thanks. I already changed the settings as listed above. I am just looking for some more settings.

Anybody?

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
What I don't like is that when set to ROAM and more than just the one TSYS object is being scanned, when the scanner comes back to the TSYS object that is set to ROAM from another object, it seems to pick the first usable control channel that it comes to rather than assess all of them and use the best one. This makes for some garbled digital voice when the voice channels from which ever site it picks are weak in signal strength. When only scanning the one TSYS object, it will only leave the best control channel when that control channel drops below the threshold, then it goes and looks for another one. I find that for the smoothest roaming between sites, scanning only one TSYS object set to ROAM is best.

I realize that it would take more time to assess all of the control channels in a TSYS object set to ROAM on each pass, but it would make for better signals if it would find the strongest site each time.

On the first pass, it finds what seems to be a satisfactory CC for your TSYS object. If the decoding percentage is at or above the level of your upper threshold, it will 'make itself happy' with that CC and return to it each time until it falls below your lower threshold. And yes, it doesn't matter if a better one comes along in the meantime. (I'm not sure that it actually even picks the best one, or if it just takes the first one that satisfies your threshold values) Maybe Mike or Don will chime in on that.

If you raise your upper threshold level, you can prompt it to shop around more because it will only 'commit' to keep returning to a CC which has met that standard at least once. With 95 as your default, you can probably see a lot of difference from raising it 1 or 2 percentage points.

Your lower threshold is the point at which the radio breaks that commitment to keep returning to a particular CC. For most 800 systems, 75 is probably too low a value. Frank's range of 80-85 is a lot more practical.

Play with it, but remember that it's a matter of compromises.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

DonS

On the first pass, it finds what seems to be a satisfactory CC for your TSYS object. If the decoding percentage is at or above the level of your upper threshold, it will 'make itself happy' with that CC and return to it each time until it falls below your lower threshold. And yes, it doesn't matter if a better one comes along in the meantime. (I'm not sure that it actually even picks the best one, or if it just takes the first one that satisfies your threshold values) Maybe Mike or Don will chime in on that.

If it finds a CC that meets the HI threshold, it will stay with that CC and will not check other CCs until that CC's decoding percentage falls below the LO threshold.

If, on the first pass through the CCs, it never finds a CC that meets the HI threshold, it will check all of them and will use the "best" one, remaining there until that CC's decoding percentage falls below the LO threshold.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
Don in your win500 software what is the trunk table used for? Do I need to do anything with that when I input the NJSP? I ask because when I click on it there is nothing in the box. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.