PSR-500 Control channel noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
My PSR-500 seems to try and stop on a control channel. (I guess) The symptom is the Motorboat sound you get when you stop on a control channel. My scanner will be talking normally, then a response form base or mobiles lands on a freq. and you can't hear them, only the CC or "Motorboat" noise.
If I quickly grab my scanner and hit the scan button, it goes to the next available channel and sounds perfect.
My questions are -
1. Is there a setting in the specials settings page of WIN-500 that can be adjusted?
2. Will the newest firmware correct this issue?

Thanks in advance - This is still the best scanner I've ever used, and I've been scanning since the 70's.

N8IAA

My guess is that you have programmed in a Group Wildcard. It will let all TGID's past, even those that are Encrypted. That is the sound you are probably getting. You haven't listed what system you are monitoring, so any further help can't be given at this time.
HTH,
Larry

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I'm listening to McPherson County Kansas. It is an EDACS System, and I do have Wildcards programmed in. I don't think they are using any encrypted channels, if they have something sensitive to say, they use their Cell Phones. Since I've found that they do this, I will remove the wildcards & see if that helps.
One other aspect to this problem is, I'm in a 1/4 of a city block concrete & steel building. Sometimes when I'm upstairs (surrounded by huge 24" I-Beams), I can turn the scanner a different direction a bit and it seems to help.
Thanks for the reply, I'll post results later.

Status
Not open for further replies.