PSR 500 "firmware upgrade"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee

Is there a "company" that would do the "firmware upgrade" befrore it is shipped. I have never did an "upgrade", and am somewhat apprehensive, about doing that.

Would be willing to pay extra!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure there are. However, depending on when the radio was manufactured and shipped out, it could easily have the latest firmware installed.

Installing the firmware itself is really very straight forward. Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. Read them through a couple of times, but with the provided USB cable, doing it is really nothing.

I reiterate though. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. It is a somewhat daunting the first time.

With a bit of luck, you may find someone nearby who is willing to help you out and show you how to do it.

mikey60

The firmware updates (both CPU and DSP) are really straight forward and no need to be concerned about them.

On the CPU update, Press a couple keys on the radio (with a power cycle) and then click a few buttons on the updater software and you're done. The DSP update is slightly different, but not any harder to do really.

You'll have no problems doing the update as long as you know which com port the USB cable is using. Don't worry, we've been assured that there is no way to "brick" your scanner while doing firmware updates.

Mike

chodell

just recieved my 500 yesterday, serial #18xx and I had to update both the CPU and DSP.

be sure to install the drivers for your computer first - from the cd that comes with the radio - and then download the updates from the GRE site. Each is a little different in terms of what they want you to do with the scanner - but neither was a problem and the scanner works great.

best of luck!

chuck

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
bee said:
Would be willing to pay extra!

wow! send it to me, ill do it for $20, with that $20 ill also program it with whatever you want, however you want....

just to add; my serial number is 2252 and mine was shippied with the original (very first) dsp and cpu versions

DonS

ScanTheFreqs said:
just to add; my serial number is 2252 and mine was shippied with the original (very first) dsp and cpu versions
Well, very first "released to the public" (F1.0) versions. I'll bet there were about 240 versions of the CPU code before that one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.