PSR-500 Gets Warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
After two hours of so of listening, does anyone elses PSR-500 get quite warm on the right side? I realize that it's probably normal since it's a battery powered electronic, but I get paranoid about expensive items like this and just thought i'd ask :)

troymail

Silent Key
After two hours of so of listening, does anyone elses PSR-500 get quite warm on the right side? I realize that it's probably normal since it's a battery powered electronic, but I get paranoid about expensive items like this and just thought i'd ask :)

The only "heat" issue I've noticed is when I use the power supply and/or try to charge the batteries in the unit.... and I stopped doing that quite a while ago. I can't remember the last time I used it.

cfr301

If its plugged in and has rechargeable batteries it will get warm but should not get HOT. If you have rechargeables in it while its plugged into the wall wart change the default setting charge time to something reasonable like 6 to 9 hrs. Also MANY respected folks in here say not to charge batteries in the radio. I tend to agree with that, because if you don't keep an eye on the radio and the time charging BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN!

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I never will and have never charged the batteries in the radio, I figure that's what my wall charger is for. I'm just talking about letting it run on battery power, and after a few hours it's noticibly warm.

usswood

yeah..I keep mine in its protective cover and I never notice it getting real hot, warm maybe, on battery power or plugged in

cfr301

I've had mine running for several hours today on Battery its not noticeably warm the back of the battery compartment feels a little warmer than the rest of the case but thats bout it.

shack

Hi! I noticed with rechargeables no warming after 6/8 hrs, but if I use throwaways it gets warm after a couple hrs. I only use Duracells

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Curious, what are the other conditions when its running warm? Scan mode, backlight setting, system type, audible and visible alert, etc.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Curious, what are the other conditions when its running warm? Scan mode, backlight setting, system type, audible and visible alert, etc.

When it was warm, it was scanning for two straight hours, I had it plugged into my computer speakers via the headphones jack, it was running on battery power, backlight was off the whole time, I was scanning a mix of conventional, Motorola and P25 systems. And the visual alert with the LED was in use on some channels.

perry211

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem. I like the backlight to come on everytime so i just take the bat pack out and it's ok. I also have a wall charger just for my bats. I hate digital I get a garble 1/2 the time. Later, Perry

budevans

My 500 gets very warm also. I have two other hand held scanners (Pro-97 and Pro-34) both remain at room temp, you'd never know if the 97 & 34 are ON or OFF by touch.

I bought the 500 last year just before Christmas. Because of the very warm feel while running I emailed GRE to ask if this was normal. GRE emailed me back stating that under certain conditions it would be normal for the unit to get warm. Warm being a subjective criteria.

The conditions were:
Charging Batteries in the unit.
Having the LED and Display Backlight on full time or when receiving.

Note: I don't charge batteries in the unit. But I do use the AC adapter for power.
The unit gets warm when running on batteries only, no AC adapter connected.

The email message also offered three suggestions or options.
1: Send the unit back to GRE for inspection and if necessary repair.
2: Take the back panel off and check the heat sink. If it was unseated or missing send the unit back to GRE for repair.
3: Continue using the unit as is. If it continued to run (work properly), probably no issue. If the unit failed, ship it back to GRE for repair.

I opted to just let the unit run and see what happened. It's a year later and it runs just fine.

SCPD

QRT
The main reeason a PSR 500 or like scanner gets warm, it does more than the older models. it simply takes MORE power to run all the lights & advanced CPU. I've have my PSR 500 for only 2 weeks I run it almost 24/7 also) & it has never ran warm on batteries or Wall wart and I am using the older RS 1 that I was using with my other RS hand helds which include 93, 96 & pro 97 for the past 2 years or longer

Status
Not open for further replies.