PSR-500 Intermittent Receive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Now ya got it Jack, its a pain for the scanner manufacturers and i think there working on it....I new you would see what i was telling you...On Uniden digital scanners you can actually watch the progress of the digital decoding and error rate but on GRE its just thinking its a problem with the radio....Too many signals at the same time ....And the more towers the more the problem until a solution can be found....On my end the GRE products are more prone than Uniden....

Sideline

Receive Problems

Hi All

I have experienced the same problem with the radio going silent on a busy night. I don't have a solution for that problem as it just starts working again after a while of turning it on and off. I will pay more attention when it happens again. But one thing I did find out for sure is when the scanner is sitting right beside my laptop I skip over a lot of busy channels, some trunked some not. When I move the scanner away from the laptop say 4 or 5 feet all is well again. I wonder if the laptop emits a frequency that obliterates some of the "received frequencies". If you have one of those 2.4 ghz wireless cameras, try sitting it near the microwave oven and watch what happens to your picture when the microwave is turned on.

RodStrong

Well, my scanner took a dump again, and again is no longer receiving anything. 100% incapable of receiving anything, even a tranceiver right beside it. It is on and appears to be working, but simply will not receive a signal of any kind, period. I rarely use it anymore, but had been listening to it a bit lately before this problem occurred again.

I have taken it apart and put it back together again numerous times to no avail.

I am starting to think it needs a new RF board, which I bet will cost me a pretty penny. I'll probably try to get ahold of GRE support soon. I'll update if/when I come up with something.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Ditto, here. Yesterday, I noticed that my 500 was only picking up about half of the channels in the bank I was scanning. It wasn't picking up the local volunteer fire department channel, but it was picking up a sheriff's office channel from another county, which was also in that bank. It only seemed to receive certain channels, but not others. I decided to switch it off and then turn it back on again, and that fixed the problem. Granted, I have been using the scanner for nearly three years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.