PSR 500 led alert function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKG

Premium Subscriber
I'm loving my 500, but I'm having a few issues (not the fault of the scanner, sadly it's my own fault for being a relative newbie)
I have a talkgroup loaded and within it there are several different subgroups of varied importance. For example..let's say within my local police group, there is one that is of particular interest and I would like to assign an led colour alert to that......how do I do it??
Thanks in advance...lost in Canada!

eyes00only

If you're not using software, I would say it's a must! Winn500 is great and has a free trial period. Setting the LED alert is easy. Another thing I like is to have the display light come on when a talkgroup comes up.

JK

rwier

Hi AKG,

I have a PSR 500 on the desk beside me. It is connected to my computer with the proper GRE cable. At this time, it is scanning three ScanLists (out of 12). Two of these ScanLists are part of a P-25 System, and contain 23 and 39 TalkGroups, respectively. These, overall use four colors and a few different combinations of solids or flashes. The third ScanList is composed of 11 conventional channels/frequencies using one color with two solid/flash options. These are busy entities and the scanner's led would look great on a Christmas tree, lol.

Now my 62 TalkGroups (the ones I am scanning) have no possible further breakdown into "subgroups". Therefor your "I have a talkgroup loaded and within it there are several different subgroups" for me does not compute?

I believe that I am in an ideal position to assist you, but we must agree on a common vocabulary (the more technical and precise the better).

Are you using software? If not, I won't try to help, but there are a few here in the Forums that pride themselves on Manual Programing.

If yes, what software? Have you created one or more ScanLists? Let's start over, go slow, step by step, no rush, I have nothing but time (I hope enough, lol).

R

JoeyC

If you are listening to ONE talkgroup and want to isolate certain users of it as you mention, the only way is to make a PRIVATE object for each of the RadioIDs that you want the LED to alert on and assign the color that way and assign the private objects to the same scanlist your talkgroup is in.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
LED color

I'm loving my 500, but I'm having a few issues (not the fault of the scanner, ... For example..let's say within my local police group, there is one that is of particular interest and I would like to assign an led colour alert to that......how do I do it??
You have to edit the object. Go to MAN mode, navigate to the object, press PGM. You'll get some softkey prompts. Select EDIT and CURRent. Use the 5 way keypad to scroll down to LED color. Select the color you want. Press SAVE (softkey) to make it real.

AKG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I may have used the wrong terminology "subgroup". I have a talkgroup that cycles through with different items, ie police patrol, tactical, west div...etc. I wanted to highlight one of those with the led alert. I hope that is clearer. I do use PSREDIT. Can this be done at all, if so, can it be done using functions on the receiver itself.
Thanks.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Just to clear a couple things up:
1) A talkgroup can be likened to a channel, for a non-trunked system. The communications contained within cannot be differentiated by the scanner. (In actuality, a channel can do that, by using different CTCSS tones.)

2) What are you calling a subgroup?

rwier

Thanks for the replies. I may have used the wrong terminology "subgroup". I have a talkgroup that cycles through with different items, ie police patrol, tactical, west div...etc. I wanted to highlight one of those with the led alert. I hope that is clearer. I do use PSREDIT. Can this be done at all, if so, can it be done using functions on the receiver itself.
Thanks.

Not clearer! Your

"different items, ie police patrol, tactical, west div...etc."

would be (to me) either TalkGroups (if we are talking about a Trunked System) or Channels (if we are talking about a Non-Trunked System. The items "police patrol, tactical, west div...etc." might be contained in a single ScanList.

OK, let's try again. Open PSREdit (notice capitalization).

Download the contents of your radio to PSREdit. Click on the "General Configuration" tab (upper left).
Find center-left a large box titled "Scan Lists:"

Have you re-named any of the 20 Scan Lists (under "Name")?
Are any of the boxes in the left column (EN) "checked"?

That's enough for now, please report back ONLY the answers to these questions, and then we will proceed.

Also AKG, I am using the "Teach a Man to Fish" System, as opposed to a fast draw fish throw (as is the general response on RR Forums).

R

rwier

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Just to clear a couple things up:
1) A talkgroup can be likened to a channel, for a non-trunked system. The communications contained within cannot be differentiated by the scanner. (In actuality, a channel can do that, by using different CTCSS tones.)

2) What are you calling a subgroup?

Hear!Hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.