PSR-500 manual programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Is the PSR-500 fully programmable manually (by hand, no cable, no software) ?

By "fully", I mean for example: trunked systems with multiple custom frequency tables that are only possible to program using software on the Pro-96.

And other things, like changing the welcome message..

So can the 500 do everything manually?

Thanks.

btritch

Yes, It's NOT, and I mean NOT an easy task, It WILL require some long hard time and work but to answer your question, Yes it can be done... I've added one here and there but not all of them by hand, It can be done just like it is with software totally by hand but will take a whole lot longer. Hope this helps..

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
It is very simple to program the GRE500 by hand, you can install a simple trunk system in minutes...Press "PGM", "New", "TSYS, scroll down and pick the "SList", make sure the "*" is active, scroll down and "choose the type system", "name it", scroll to put in the "freqys", put in the first "talkgroup"="WILDCARD" and all talkgroups will start showing up and start pressing "STOR", great scanner............

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I agree with Ronin. It seems daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it's very easy (no stupid rotatable knob, you can do it all with one hand). I've programmed everything I have in mine by hand and that includes a trunking system of every type, along with ones with multiple base/spacing. I have a total of 1,130 items, 22% free.

WIN500 is still recommended plus you get the ability to remotely control and view it. Like people say, you just paid over $500 for a scanner and you're gonna skimp on the software?

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I programed mine by hand too, just so that I could get to know my new toy kind of better, a handshake and welcome to a desktop loaded with like minded toys. But after I got a grasp of how it worked, then I just use software Win500 its a format that I like as I also have Win95,96 and 97.

Stavro35

I'd like to piggy back on this thread with a programming question of my own . I'd like to check a scan list to see if the frequencies are current. . This is my scan list as it is now

List Description
1 Seattle Mot 800 and conventional for Seattle
2 McChord Mot 400
3 Puget Sound Shipyard
4 Port Authority and also has conventional freqs
5 Snohomish Mot 800
6 Tacoma Mot 800
7 Boeing Mot 800 it only has 4 talkgroups plus a wildcard
8 Navy 385 P25 it only has 3 talkgroups plus a wildcard (Fort Lewis)
9 the new PC Trans 764 P25 with a single wildcard
10 US Just IWN VHF P25 with 5 talkgroups and a wildcard
11 is blank
12 is blank
13 Washington State Police conventional
14 Paine Tower Conventional
15 Pierce County Conventional
16 Thurston County Conventional
17 is blank
18 is USN & Coast Guard Conventional
19 is blank
20 is blank

The scan list I'd like to check is the Pierce county transit,scan list 9. Even when I've disabled all but that list. I still can't seem to get into it. Unless I'm doing something wrong? Keep in mind I'm doing this by hand.

Maybe someone could walk me through the process on the phone?

Last edited:

btritch

Ok, I've tried the wildcard thing, I was thinking after that though, If you've got more than one wildcard listed, And it hits one, You save it, How do you keep the same one from popping up on one of the other wildcard slots, I've had this problem today..

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Each Tsys Has A Group Wildcard And Can Also Have A Private Call Wildcard....each Time A Tg Pops Up And You Save It The Wildcard Just Keeps Popping Up With New Tg's Whenever They Appear...if You Lock Out A Tg It Will Not Show Up Again Until You Unlock It......

btritch

I have two LTR groups in the 400 MHZ range that I'm trying to use wildcards and find the different TG's for.. But when I save one TG, That same TG will pop up on the other wildcard slots, But If I lock it out it won't do that, Right?

btritch

Ok, I think I know what I'm doing wrong now.. I set a whole list because I thought when you saved one it took it out of the pool, Actually you only put one and then when you save the ID, The wildcard is still open for the next ID.. This way it won't double lap, Right?

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
The Wildcard Just Keeps Generating Talkgroups Unless U Lock It Out...it Doesnt Disappear When It Generates Each Tg It Always Stays The Same...

btritch

I was under the impression that when the wildcard popped up a TG and you saved it that the Wildcard disappeard but Guess not, I see what you're saying now.. I'll look into that, Thanks

Stavro35

I would prefer this radio have an open or closed mode option like the Pro95,96 and 97. This wild card stuff is a pain. I hear stuff I don't want to hear.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
All You Have To Do Is Lock Out The Wildcard When You Have All Of The Talkgroups Entered That You Want To Listen To Then Lock Out Any Of Those Entered It You Get Sick Of Them...

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
It Can Be Locked Or Unlocked At Your Leisure ( F-lout )
IN ADDITION IF YOU JUST HIT LOCKOUT ON AN UNWANTED TG AS YOU ARE SCANNING THE RADIO CREATES THAT GROUP AND LOCKS IT OUT FOR YOU....

Status
Not open for further replies.