PSR 500: Numerous Little Quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I've had my PSR500 for about three months now. Over this time I have noticed several things:
1) Sometimes, I will hear sort of a high-pitched beep/squeal noise when the speaker/earphone powers up for a transmission (happens on all channels-analog trunked, dig trunked, conventional). I have noticed this problem with other GRE/RS scanners that I have had.
2) I tried to listen to an LTR system. I programmed in everything correctly, but it wouldn't track it, even while my BC396D was tracking it just fine.
3) Some conventional channels I have entered will suddenly "drop out" for no apparent reason (NO, PRIORITY is NOT ON). I have monitored one of these channels manually and every so often the signal would just stop and resume again-even when the signal quality is at its highest.
4) I monitor a P25-exclusive ASTRO system. I notice that sometimes the signal will sort of break up and resume, and break up and resume again-even when the signal quality is 100%. I end up hearing very little of the traffic on that channel.

Any Advice?

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Make sure that your Wx priority is not on by checking it in the global settings. On the LTR system, do you have auto home repeater move on?

wwhitby

Feed Provider
1) Sometimes, I will hear sort of a high-pitched beep/squeal noise when the speaker/earphone powers up for a transmission (happens on all channels-analog trunked, dig trunked, conventional). I have noticed this problem with other GRE/RS scanners that I have had.

I had this happen to me yesterday morning for the first time. The local PD was transmitting, and I got the worst high pitch squeal that i've ever heard. It was different then the normal feedback that you hear when someone has their HT turned up/on and uses their mobile radio. This seemed to be coming from my PSR-500.

I turned the volume down and it didn't happen again. I'm not sure what caused it.

Warren

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
mfn002 said:
Is this when using the DC adapter or on battery power? If you are using battery, what type of battery? Sometime a low voltage can cause this type of audio result.

mfn002 said:
2) I tried to listen to an LTR system. I programmed in everything correctly, but it wouldn't track it, even while my BC396D was tracking it just fine.
This is a regular LTR system correct? In the TSYS settings do you have the AutoMove HRs (home repeaters) set to On? This will help the radio find the correct LCN order. Maybe the home repeater order is not correct for all the LCN's in your 396.

mfn002 said:
3) Some conventional channels I have entered will suddenly "drop out" for no apparent reason (NO, PRIORITY is NOT ON). I have monitored one of these channels manually and every so often the signal would just stop and resume again-even when the signal quality is at its highest.
Also check that the Weather alert priority is not turned on. Are you using Search foor the Mode? Maybe a tone is not set on the frequency your monitoring. Check the CTCSS or DCS is set correctly.

mfn002 said:
4) I monitor a P25-exclusive ASTRO system. I notice that sometimes the signal will sort of break up and resume, and break up and resume again-even when the signal quality is 100%. I end up hearing very little of the traffic on that channel.
Did you try the attenuator on this system. Sometimes a voice frequency can be shared by a nearby system. The receiver on this radio is extreamly sensitive and may be getting another signal mixed in with the voice channel you are trying to monitor.

Last edited:

DonS

mfn002 said:
Are the affected CONV objects programmed with CT tones? If so, try changing them to "CTCSS: Search" and see if that helps. Or, try increasing the FUNC+GLOB setting "HD2 Qualify" a little.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Is this when using the DC adapter or on battery power? If you are using battery, what type of battery? Sometime a low voltage can cause this type of audio result.

Mine happened on battery power. NiMh batteries. Although the batteries weren't fully charged, they have plenty of power.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I found that turning the scanner off and back on again stops the squeel. It happens on battery power, even with fresh batteries. It's not loud, but annoying.

The "skipping" doesn't happen on every channel, but somewhat randomly. The main channel that it happens on is 453.425-Houston Fire Department Tac 1 (PL127.3).

If it was some sort of Priority thing, it would skip to the same channel. Well, it doesn't. It just stops monitoring that channel and resumes scanning.

The Trunked System I am referring to is STARNET site 102/Walker County.

In comparison, the other P25 system I listen to, Brazos County ASTRO, works fine.

The LTR system, Teletouch Huntsville, works perfectly on my 396. I've re-entered the freq's a number of times on the 500, copying the layout EXACTLY from the DB. AutoMove HRs are NOT on.

I have three local LTRs I listen to, and they all come through just fine.

Also, WX PRIORITY is OFF.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
mfn002 said:
I found that turning the scanner off and back on again stops the squeel. It happens on battery power, even with fresh batteries. It's not loud, but annoying. .

FWIW, mine disappeared when I turned the volume down, but not off.

Warren

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
scanfan03 said:
For future reference Brazos county is not P25. Try the att.

Last time I checked, Bryan Police and Brazos County Sherriff were P25...
I'm the one who lives there...

DonS

mfn002 said:
According to the RR DB, there's a mix...

1. Sheriff on analog, simulcast with county TRS
2. Bryan PD "talkaround" analog
3. County Mot 3600 TRS, using a mix of analog and digital voice. Sheriff and Bryan PD seem be primarily P25 CAI ("digital").

You're monitoring the Sheriff and Bryan PD via the Mot TRS, right?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Correction:
The SO units are actually on the Trunked System, but patched over to the VHF so that other counties and DPS can talk to them. In other words, when you hear SO on their VHF freq, they are actually talking on 800 (they use a very poor decoder-it sounds like a drunk robot). However, secondary (used by jail transport deputies) is actually still in use-and patched TO the system.

Oddly enough, all of the system's mobile radios say "ASTRO 9600" on the front (at least the Spectras did-they now use XTL5000s).

Brazos County Sherriff/Constibles, Bryan Police, and Bryan Fire Department all use XTS5000R Model II's. Public Works use mainly XTS3000 Model Is.

I originally monitored the development of the system as it was gradually brought online in late 2004 with my PRO94 and PRO2052 (making sure to lock out all of the P25 channels).

Last edited:

wnjl

DonS said:
Are the affected CONV objects programmed with CT tones? If so, try changing them to "CTCSS: Search" and see if that helps. Or, try increasing the FUNC+GLOB setting "HD2 Qualify" a little.

If you can, could you describe what the HD2 Qualify setting controls? I looked in the manual for it but could not find a description. Thanks!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
mfn002 said:

I think what he meant was that the system, if it's this one: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3116

It's NOT a P25 system. It's a Motorola (3600bps) system with some P25 voice channels. Yes, there's a difference, especially when it comes to programming on most scanners.

Actual P25 systems have a 9600bps control channel and all the talkgroups are digital.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
kikito said:
I think what he meant was that the system, if it's this one: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3116

It's NOT a P25 system. It's a Motorola (3600bps) system with some P25 voice channels. Yes, there's a difference, especially when it comes to programming on most scanners.

Actual P25 systems have a 9600bps control channel and all the talkgroups are digital.

Yeah, that's what I meant, I guess I didn't explain myself enough. It's not a true P25 system, it is a P16 mixed mode system.

I live in College Station too, and listen to the Brazos county system on a PSR-500.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Ok, ok. Sorry.

An update on the LTR problems. I finally got it to work after I turned the AutoHomeHRs on.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
mfn002 said:
Ok, ok. Sorry.

An update on the LTR problems. I finally got it to work after I turned the AutoHomeHRs on.

What LTR System were you having problems with? I can't get my PSR-500 to track the International Electrical and Security talkgroup on the Skyline communications 460MHz system, but it's only that talkgroup. Can you see If yours will track it?

Status
Not open for further replies.