psr 500 poor reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Psr500 Poor Reception

Ok This Morning I Heard Form Gree About My Psr500, The Shipped My Scanner Back To Me With A New Bnc Connector , I Hope The New Connector Fits As Tightly As The Old One , Apparently All My Problems Were In The Connector , Well Find Out Soon . Paul1

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Psr500 Poor Reception

OK PEOPLE I HAVE HAD MY PSR500 BACK FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS NOW AND IT SEEMS TO BE EVERYTHING THAT YOU ALL HAVE SEAID TO EXPECT IT TO BE. AND I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE PROMPT SERVICE I REC. FROM GRE AND THE QUALITY OF THEIR PRODUCT IS STILL SECOND TO NONE.
iT WORKS GREAT , THE NEW BNC CONNECTOR THAT THEY INSTALLED FITS THE ANTENNA TIGHTLY ,AS IT SHOULD . I BELIEVE THAT ALL IS WELL .THANKS FOR THE HELP. NOW I CAN GET BACK TO TWEEKING THE RADIO FOR THE BEST RECEPTION QUALITY POSSIBLE. THANKS AGAIN AND I KNOW YOU ALL WILL HEAR FROM ME AGAIN BECAUSE TWEEKING IS SOMETHING THAT I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DO BEFORE . ILE LEARN THANKS PAUL1

hypersight

Thanks for keeping us updated. You will love your scanner.The 500 is the best scanner I've ever owned....and I've been through a lot of scanners in the last 20 years.

wolverine

I too have been having problems with reception with my PSR-500 on the Clermont, OH TRS. I know it's not any problems with any interference and i'm not all that sure if it's a problem with the scanner so im wondering if anyone could advise of any setting that could be changed or can be tweaked for the user's on here who are having problems with reception with the PSR-500?.

ChuckinSC

Premium Subscriber
You might want to make sure the attenuation is off. I enabled mine one time, and though it's pretty obvious, it baffled me for awhile.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
amazing postings as I too,have had trouble beyond belief with reception issues on the psr500!! I have sent my unit back for the second time for the same mysterious issue of a bnc connector??!!! COME ON GRE!!! my unit was bought number 29 so its very new,never mishandled and a loose bnc connector?? How about a cheaply made mass produced,scanner which sells for a boatload of cash BUT made with 2.oo parts!!!! i also received problems after downloading with all software types,arc,psr-edit and win500!!! My suggestion,dont use software with these models. Program by hand and you wont lose sensitivity and performance!! I say this because after buying a new pro106,I found the same thing happened!! I returned it for another 106,programmed by hand the systems I wanted and WOW!! no problems!!!

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I had pretty bad reception problems with my '500. FWIW, here's what happened with me. I'm not posting this to trash GRE, its just a condensed version of my experience trying to get my PSR-500 fixed.

I was one of the first to get a PSR-500 last year when they came out. After about 5 months of use, I had a problem with my PSR-500 where it would not receive anything, and I mean anything at all. When I pressed the WX button to pick up the National Weather Service, it would not pick up the local transmitter, even when I was driving by it!

Let me say that I try to take very good care of my electronics. I did drop my '500 once on accident, however it worked fine after that and the reception issue didn't start until months after the drop occurred.

I sent my '500 back to GRE last May. I did have the infamous loose screw. The replaced the BNC connector and it worked fine for a couple of months. Then, i'd loose reception again. However, I noticed I could get reception to return by pressing on a spot on the case between the LCD and speaker.

I sent by '500 back in September for the same issue after having this problem again. Again, the BNC connector was replaced, and I was blamed by letter for breaking the BNC connector by using an external antenna! They sent the BNC back to me, and besides the damage that occurred during replacement and some minor corrosion, it looked ok to me. Honestly, I was at a loss to explain how the BNC connector was causing this problem. BTW, they never bothered to ask me how I had my mobile setup and the strain relief I had built in.....

After I got my '500 back, I didn't use an external antenna (only the RS 800Mhz antenna that GRE makes for RS) and the disappearing reception problem occurred again within one week. Again, I opened a ticket and sent the '500 back to GRE, and I even included a Quicktime video that I shot that showed the problem. This time, GRE replaced the PC boards, and so far it appears to be working fine. I really, really, really hope that the problem is gone, since its out of warranty now.

I suspect I had a problem with a bad ribbon cable, bad connector or cold soldered joint. It acted like something was shorting out internally. When I first reported my problem, a GRE representative called me on the phone to find out more information and he did admit that they had been experiencing quality control issues with the early production units.

Warren

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
WELL THERE YOU HAVE IT. Its obvious that if so many people are having problems across all states,then its a production issue/not a user issue!!! Goes to show that it took you the same if not more troubble/time/money on your part for them to ADMIT early unit production issues. Greed is a terrible thing and with gre,dont be afraid for telling the TRUTH which is they took advantage of excited scanner enthusiasts and pushed out a digital scanner charging premium pricing AND LIED TO THE CONSUMER!!WHAT SCOUNDRELS!!! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
WELL THERE YOU HAVE IT. Its obvious.... <SNIP>

Yep, there you have it, another one of your rants and never ending grudge.

WHAT SCOUNDRELS!!! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD! Now get off the GRE forums with your crap and we'll all be happier.

People with your kind of relentless negative campaign against anything they don't like could win an election. Oh wait, that already happened! ;) The unfortunate side effect of the global e-soap box called the internet....

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
i will get off the gre forums when I am damn good and ready. You think too highly of yourself if you think your opinion represents gre scanner owners. Go back to doing ice fishing in alaska and dont butt in where you arent wanted-bozo!!!!!!!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
i will get off the gre forums when I am damn good and ready. You think too highly of yourself if you think your opinion represents gre scanner owners. Go back to doing ice fishing in alaska and dont butt in where you arent wanted-bozo!!!!!!!

We'll see about that.....

You're the one with the childish grudge thinking GRE is out to get you and everybody else. Grow up troll.....

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Is it childish to state your opinion on this forum? Is it holding a grudge when you reply to someone who had similar experiences with a radio that price? Is it ranting when I have made less than 10 postings on gre scanners since owning one for over a year? Look in the mirror!! Childish/bullying tactics like yours only creates this atmosphere. Do you own this forum? I think not. Just mind your business and keep your opinions to yourself on my postings-GOT IT!!

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
PSR 500 Receive Problems Fixed

After going back and forth and having the receiver seem to work then not, I sent it back. Now mind you, I sent it back last Thursday and received it back yesterday (Thursday) from NY to California. I also had some e-mail contacts from Raj, who was terrific to work with. On the receipt is said the repair was a "New RF assembly". So far the radio sounds great and I am hearing things I did not hear before! Kudos to GRE for great service and a great radio.

Oh, and btw, it was under warranty repair! :)

FFEMTCURRENCE

Premium Subscriber
i have a psr 500 and i live on the stafford side of the stafford/fauquier county line...i can barley get staffords trunked system even though i live in the county, and really really poor reception, the scanner really hates the p25 systems...screw is tight in the back, the att is off, im sick of moving it 2 inches just right to get stuff or nothing at all, i even tried an external antenna on my 100ft agl ham tower...it seemed to do worse on that than on the rubber ducky...any suggestions because it annoys the hell out of me

T-Santon

Here's something interesting I noticed about the 500...

I have a 500, 800, and a RS Pro 96, all attatched to the ST2 on my roof...I also have a new Nextel Tower 1000 feet away from my house.

When I listen to Ohio MARCS, the 500 does the worst job decoding the signals. The 800 is not much better. Both need the Attenuator on in order to decode the digital signal...

However, the Pro-96 deals with it like a champ. I don't need to turn on the ATT, and I can pick up 2 more sites because of that. It just seems to handle the interference MUCH better....I've noticed similar situations when in my car as well. Cell-tower kills the 500 an 800, but the Pro 96 goes on unaffected.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Im not trying to be ignorant but here in IL using the GRE500 trying to monitor the IL Starcom 700/800 Digital System was just "IMPOSSIBLE" on the GRE500 so i sold it...The Uniden 396xt works like a champ on the same system, how do you figure that....

Status
Not open for further replies.