PSR-500 Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobi99

Hi all,

What software to you suggest for programming the PSR-500? Any one out there willing to help with some programing questions once I purchase some software?
Thanks in advance!!!

dsvm2005

i would recommend the WIN500 its very easy to use i just got my GRE-500 this week and was also on debate on that too. I currently have the trial but plan to buy it. try it out for your self some of them come with a 30day trial . I did asked that same question previously and got that most people prefer the WIN500

Dsvm2005

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
A `Vote?' For PSREdit500?

Hmmmmm... I guess I should put in my 2¢ worth here since it seems that no one else has mentioned PSREdit500. I have *both* PSREdit500 and WIN500 on my machine and I find myself using PSREdit500 *way* more than I use WIN500. For me there are 2 reasons. The first one is one of `ease of use'. With PSREdit, or PSRCtl, if I have to bring up something else whilst I am editing a file for either of my 2 GRE scanners I can just `mouse on down' to my quick launch bar and do so immediately. With WIN500 I have to first minimize WIN500 and only then can I even see my quick launch bar. (WIN500, unlike the prior WIN series programs takes over my entire screen and if I try and re-size it to be smaller I end up losing either the bottom L/R scroll bars or the upper file tabs depending upon how I've previously U/D scrolled. Don has apparently decided to not utilize `scaling' of the internal windows in this particular program like he used to have implemented in all of his prior programs. While it might not be a problem for those who have `young' eyes and can easily read things on screens larger than 1024X768 *I* find that I definitely have problems doing so. YMMV)

The second reason *I* find myself using PSTEdit and PSRCtl is *PSRCtl*. There are quite a few times when I find PSRCtl a lot easier to have on screen whilst scanning than having to turn around and try to see the display on the actual scanner or mess around with either punching a button or twiddling a knob. (Though doing the latter, twiddling a knob, still requires having to move more likely or not. {GRIMACE!}) Again, this is yet another effect of having aging eyes though not nearly as much as my former mention of said `disability?'.

Now, a couple things about WIN500 I *do* like and use... Number one is the ability to more easily adjust the LED colour and intensity with it. All one has to do is just scroll the RGB `spinners' U/D and one can quickly have a very good idea of what the possible result will be. I use that feature primarily for files I use in my PSR500 HH so that for those times I actually might want a bit more of an indication of just what it is I am hearing without having to actually take and look at the display. (IE: I am out driving and would rather keep my main attention to the task, driving, at hand. Just another `problem?' with "advancing years". {WAN GRIN!})

Number two is, `are?', the `progam tabs' and the ability to have several different `programs' loaded. If one is putting together a wholly `new' `program' one wants to load into one's scanner it makes shuttling around the necessary `data' easier. (Though the `screen size' problem I mentioned above does throw in a few `curves' or `quirks'. I find that I end up doing a lot more `mousing' than in prior WIN series programs than *I* feel is necessary.)

There are many other places, mostly just small differences and quirks, where they differ from each other that one can find. The majority are somewhat cosmetic in nature and probably won't be noticed right away. Some are `procedural' and depend upon how one likes to move through different processes.

*Personally* *I* find that whilst neither program is 100% I *do* use *both* for what *I* have found, *for me* to be their strong points and am overall happy with the end results. *I* suggest that one should pick up the demos for *both* programs, take advantage of the time you are given with each one, and then decide whether one has more going for it or *if*, like *me*, having registered versions of both on hand is the way to go. Price-wise they are both worthwhile and, again in *my* opinion, together they make a KB `package'.

PSREdit - Configuration Editors for the new GRE line of scanners

Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {VB GRIN!}

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I have both. I preordered a PSR-500 and received it on the release date. Purchased PSR Edit first because Mike hit the ground running before the PSR-500 came out. Don was behind the power curve. I finally purchased WIN500 because PSR Edit didn't have a virtual scanner controller like WIN500. Both programs are great, and the support with each is also great. Both have RR import feature, which is really nice.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.