PSR-500 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOJAGUAR

I am asking for help in programming my PSR-500. I am able to program both conventional and trunked systems, including the Louisiana WIreless Information Network.However, I have one problem, that being that I cannot program separate systems in separate Scan Lists. For example, when I program a system in Scan List 1 (with asterisk), I attempt to program a different system in Scan List 2 (I add the asterisk), however, it replaces the system I had previously entered in Scan List 1 or in some cases Scan 1 is duplicated in Scan List 2.

Now I've had scanners since the early 70's starting with a Realistic Pro-1, owning over a dozen, but I just can't figure this out. I have read the manual several times and revirewed some of the on-line sites. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3mary2

Are you doing this manually? The scanner is much easier to program using one on the software programs. Both the Win500 and the PSRedit500 come with a thirty day trial period. Download one of the programs and then load the scanner. The software programs are easy to use and makes loading your scanner fast and easy.

SCPD

QRT
I would highly recommend PSR Edit ... a great program and yes it is free for the first 30 days.

bigcam406

radiojaguar:i myself encountered the same problem when i first bought my psr500.ive programmed it so many times manually i can do it in my sleep.i asked the same question and like you got the same answer,download the software.programming my scanner manually isnt a chore,as ive become very familiar with what to do.unfortunately i still havnt figured out what im doing wrong either when it comes to programming 2 seperate systems with different scanlists.maybe someone can explain what to do on this thread,as ive experienced the same thing you are to the point where if i want to listen to another system,i just enter in the control channel data and talkgroups for that said system.

kcoleman

RadioJaguar & bigcam406,

I read your post several times trying to understand what is happening. So.. from the factory, scanlist 1 is the default scanlist and will have the asterisk set. When you add information manually to another scanlist you have to turn "on" the asterisk for that scanlist to make it active. You also have to turn "off" the asterisk for this new info on scanlist 1 (remember it is default on), otherwise the new info will be placed in both scanlist.

That would explain how you are duplicating information in scanlist 1 & 2, and replacing information in you original scanlist.

Try this and see if this resolves your issue.

Good Luck & Good Listening,
Keith

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Kcoleman is correct, you only need to program in a "trunk system" once and if you set the "*"astrisk properly you can put duplicate TG's in any ScanList, this is a fantastic scanner....I like my Uniden products but you have to admit with GRE/RS its simple to arrange things anyway you want....

bigcam406

well, ive tried numerous times to program 2 different systems (moto vhf/uhf and moto 800/900),ive erased the memory and started from scratch.my issue is when i get to the system type after i have previously programmed the moto vhf/uhf system,and i want to program the moto 800/900 system,the freq's from the previously programmed system are still on the freq list.i then change the freqs,and then enter the talkgroups (which is no problem),i make sure the new talkgroups are on the new scanlist,and when im done,press scan, and it works...until when i want to scan the first scanlist.then the second scanlist becomes the first and second.ive read the manual and shortcuts numerous times,but i must be missing something probably so obvious i will be laughed off this site.any thoughts? thx in advance.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
well, ive tried numerous times to program 2 different systems (moto vhf/uhf and moto 800/900),ive erased the memory and started from scratch.my issue is when i get to the system type after i have previously programmed the moto vhf/uhf system,and i want to program the moto 800/900 system,the freq's from the previously programmed system are still on the freq list.i then change the freqs,and then enter the talkgroups (which is no problem),i make sure the new talkgroups are on the new scanlist,and when im done,press scan, and it works...until when i want to scan the first scanlist.then the second scanlist becomes the first and second.ive read the manual and shortcuts numerous times,but i must be missing something probably so obvious i will be laughed off this site.any thoughts? thx in advance.
Insure you program the second system as NEW (F!) TGRP (F!).
Then change *01 to 02 with right button on 5 way.
Then press SEL to get * for new 02 list.
Then use Down button on 5 way to TSYS.
Then press SEL which defaults to MOT 800/900.
Down to Tag:System.
Then SEL and tag Toronto PubSafety (or whatever).
DONE.
Down to Freqs and key in the Controls/Alts.
Save save, down to ID: then SEL. FUNC CLR and key in ID #

DONE then SEL to key in tag.

When finished Save out.

bigcam406

thx fmon.unfortunately,i tried twice more and same result.i followed what you wrote (which is what ive been doing anyways) to a tee,and its still replacing the first scanlist with the second,and when i disable the first scanlist and run the second, the second scanlist runs properly.so i still dont understand why after disabling scanlist 1 on the global menu it still does this.thx for your help.

bigcam406

and another thing,why is it after i enter all the particular talkgroups on scanlist 2,then let it scan,i go back to check each talkgroup,and they are all back on scanlist 1,even after i have already disabled scanlist 1 from the global menu?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
and another thing,why is it after i enter all the particular talkgroups on scanlist 2,then let it scan,i go back to check each talkgroup,and they are all back on scanlist 1,even after i have already disabled scanlist 1 from the global menu?
Likely because you originally set those list 2 TG's into list 1. Go back into list 1 globally and remove them.

To scan list 1 you should see the number 1 on second line to left of number 2. Don't use Global for scanning scanlist. Instead, toggle them using the associated number keys. E.g. press number 1 during scan to toggle list 1 ON/OFF.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
still no luck,tried again last night.maybe i have a defective unit?
You're apparently missing something. Mary suggested using Win500 or PSREdit in second post in this thread. Your 500 should have a cable for using software so load from scanner to software then edit and resend back to scanner.
All software has free trials for 30 days.

CWR

What I did , when I 1st programmed the #1 scan-list , was set the default scan-list to one I wasn't using , like #20.
Once I did that , everything programmed like it should into the right scan-list.............

Status
Not open for further replies.