psr-500 question's

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

i'm thinking about getting a psr-500.here are my question's.i have a bcd396t so i'm knowledgeable about it's in's and out's.when they say 20 scan list's,does a scan list act as a bank ?.if so can you set up say like scan list 1.local,scan list 2.police,scan list 3.fire ?.if my understanding is correct how many "object's" can you put in those scan list's ?.is it as many as you want,including conventional frequencies and talkgroup's as long as they all add up to 1,800 ?.if this is the correct procedure do alpha character's count as an object ?.
any help greatly appreciated.thank you.

troymail

Silent Key
pdfdems286 said:
i'm thinking about getting a psr-500.here are my question's.i have a bcd396t so i'm knowledgeable about it's in's and out's.when they say 20 scan list's,does a scan list act as a bank ?.if so can you set up say like scan list 1.local,scan list 2.police,scan list 3.fire ?.if my understanding is correct how many "object's" can you put in those scan list's ?.is it as many as you want,including conventional frequencies and talkgroup's as long as they all add up to 1,800 ?.if this is the correct procedure do alpha character's count as an object ?.
any help greatly appreciated.thank you.

A scanlist in the PSR-500 is WHATEVER you want it to be.

Each conventional freq, trunk system talkgroup, or search "object" is just that - an object.

You can put whatever objects you want in any or all of the 22 (actually 22) scanlists. If you want to put an object (talkgroup, etc.) in multiple scanlists, you can do that too - without taking up any more memory.

So, for example, you could program 20 jurisdictions entire system into 20 scanlists and then select the fire dispatch (for example) frequency or talkgroup for each of the 20 jurisdictions into another scanlist ("favorites" is another scanlist)... then, if you only want to hear dispatches, you can turn off all the scanlists except that one...

On the other hand, if you wanted to, you can program the 1800+ "objects" an put all of them in a single scanlist...

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
This might help you visualize how it works...

I came from the Uniden world and love my PSR-500. The only complaint I have is the size of the unit compared to Uniden...

Attachments

• Scanner Memory.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 321

scannersnstuff

do either of you guy's experience the vhf-hi overload ?.if so how bad is it ?.

thank you both very much for your help ! .

just as a side note.i will be using the psr-500 mostly for conventional stuff.there is not much digital and/or trunking by me.does the psr-500 outshine the bcd396t in this case ?.

troymail

Silent Key
pdfdems286 said:
do either of you guy's experience the vhf-hi overload ?.if so how bad is it ?.

thank you both very much for your help ! .

just as a side note.i will be using the psr-500 mostly for conventional stuff.there is not much digital and/or trunking by me.does the psr-500 outshine the bcd396t in this case ?.

Ther are many variables but here's what it comes down to (in my opinion of course):

Digital - PSR-500 (no question)
Analog - BCD396T (but decide if you'll need digital later first)

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
pdfdems286 said:
do either of you guy's experience the vhf-hi overload ?....

I don't tend to get much VHF overload, but I am primarily listening to 800MHz.

I do get 800MHz overload all the time. Without the attenuator on the scanner would be useless in these areas. With the attenuator on it is VERY manageable and I only have challenges in a few areas.

These same areas also give me challenges with my Uniden so...

scannersnstuff

i took the plunge and bought the psr-500.other then not knowing how to program it <just got it yesterday> i did "idiot" my way around to figure out how to put a single frequency in tune.also figured out spectrum sweeper.i will say this,i am approx.24-25 miles from a town that i tried to monitor using the 396t.i could not even scrape the signal using a band specific antenna <uhf> outside my house.with the psr-500,i have it sitting in my radio room picking up the same frequency in digital mode,full quieting.it's like they are in the same town.vhf-hi is also smokin'.i have a fm radio station right up the street from me.so far so good as far as overload.it does have a few birdies.all radio's do.so far,i'm optimistic that i made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.