PSR-500 Quick Review after 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT-112

I picked up a PSR-500 about a week ago, thought I'd review it, there are things I absolutely love about this unit and other things that I think could be fixed with firmware updates. There are other things that are inherent in the unit that will have to wait for a new design...

Before folks get too excited, I do like this scanner overall, and all criticism is of the constructive type. I'm not bashing here. I do also realize that I've still in the middle of the learning curve - but at the same time, this is still a good time to write about the experiences that I'm having as it's fresh in my mind and it will also show where some confusion comes in for the new user. You know, the person that just plunked down $500?

To frame this review, I picked up this unit because I was having difficulty in monitoring the simulcast towers here in the new statewide system in Illinois, Starcom21, plus my most up-to-date scanner was the Pro-96 and that's not 700 MHz capable. Also for background, I've been monitoring since the early 70s (started as a young kid) and have had scanners since the Regency Touch K500. One of the reasons I went with the Pro-96 and also with the PSR-500 was the fact that I travel extensively and the virtual scanner feature was perfect for me (and it has worked perfectly). I also loved the fact that the PC/IF interface on the Pro-96 allowed me to use a third-party program to decode the CC, at least for 9600 baud systems. Since that was continued and expanded on the PSR-500, it was easy to make the choice to stay with GRE.

I was also excited about the use of softkeys - scanners have become poster children for user interface problems now that there's much more to listen to, more modes and more data to manage. I am not sure that GRE has hit a home run with this, but I see the potential and perhaps the issues can be changed in a future firmware load. By the way, I have background/professional experience in user interfaces; it's not my main function but I have been heavily involved in product design from time to time, specializing in user interfaces.

HARDWARE

So, let's take a look at the physical unit itself. It's a solid build, there's some cracking noises under gentle twisting (hey, no destructive testing here!), but nothing major. It has concentric volume and squelch knobs, which I honestly don't like - I have a Uniden model where mild use and an innocent drop made the knobs turn as one. Yes, it was fixed but it never worked quite the same way after I bent it back. Plus, there's really no need to save real estate space on the top of the radio, there's only the BNC antenna connector, headphone jack and the volume/squelch knob - there's plenty of space available there to have separate knobs. Honestly though, not a huge deal.

Much more of a big deal is the keypad. While it's backlit reasonably well (there is room for improvement with greater brightness), there are simply too many keys here. Let me be specific - the two columns of keys on the right-hand side are a pain. I'm used to big SCAN and MAN buttons, but here they're just 2 buttons out of 12; they're not even in special places (like lower right or upper right - something the brain can remember and the hand can find without the eyes being involved in reading the button labels).

Now, while I'll be up-front and say I'm sure no one will seriously try to program this radio by hand, I do have to point out the microscopic white silkscreening for the alpha characters (almost said alphanumeric!) and the delay, VS, and lock functions. Did I mention these are microscopic? I'm concerned they could rub off after a time; again, I realize most programming will be done by PC but they're not backlit either, and they can disappear against the silvery background of the faceplate in some lighting conditions - like the one I'm in right now as I write this. Now, if they don't rub off, great - but why they're white on a silvery-ish background eludes me. I looked at the user manual before I picked up this unit, it looks better in the manual than it does in person. A flat-black faceplate would have worked better, that would have provided high contrast to the white letters. In any case, the fact that this silkscreening is even needed is a symptom of some UI issues, I'll chat about that later. Same goes for the large number of buttons.

One note about the BNC jack - while the supplied duck fits nicely, other 3rd-party BNC plugs fit much more loosely - loose enough that I'm not entirely sure that the connection is good. I'd like the option of better connectors than BNC, but I can make do with BNC fine.

The LCD backlighting is fine, as usual, more backlighting would help in some situations. I do like the dedicated area for the signal strength bars and the T and G symbols. I do find the lack of battery status a bit disappointing. What I mean by status is what you'll get on any cell phone - 4-5 divisions, letting you know where your battery charge stands. On the PSR-500 you get nothing until you're going low.

One nice thing is that the LCD shows quite a few more characters as compared to the Pro-96. I was getting tired of programming in tags like BRHRJ F4 FGN and now I can take a much better shot at abbreviation or, more usually, spelling out the tag entirely. Yay! This is obviously good, but overall the LCD is too busy, I'll get into that later on.

I've toyed with the Alert LED, this could have some uses here and there. It is bright and is attention-getting, which may not be a good thing in some cases! So far, I'm happy for this feature to be on the radio - time will tell if it gets used.

I love the battery pack options on the PSR-500. This is something I first was exposed to on the Pro-96 and I'll have to have a compelling reason to go back. I have several "Brand U" handhelds that are no longer in service because the battery pack has expired and it's just not worth it to replace it. With the AA battery pack holder approach, as AA cell batteries get better, I get the benefits automatically, no need to buy a new custom pack. And while I'm not entirely pleased with a lack of a battery meter, I do applaud the fact I can tell the PSR-500 what kind of batteries I have installed so it can use the right settings for low battery detection.

There is a 9V power connector on the side - kudos for putting a diagram of the pins on the side of the unit, that's appreciated!

Battery life (on good 2650 mah NiMH batteries) is over 12 hours - still haven't found the limit yet. I'd wager that this will be less when doing a lot of monitoring of digital systems.

There is also the data port ("PC/IF" in GRE terms) on the opposite side. Now, I really wonder why this isn't a standard USB port. The chipsets are cheap as dirt and have been for quite a while now. My cell phone is charged and also communicates through a USB port. Even the slowest UBS transmission speed is 1.5 Mbits/s, which would seem to be plenty quick enough for any data needs here. USB can support up to 500 mA, not sure if that's enough to charge or operate the PSR-500 but if so, it would have been a good addition. As I mentioned early on, some things will have to wait for future generations... But USB connectivity would mean standard cables (no going into a panic if you lose your special USB dongle/PSR-500 adapter) and other flexibility going forward. I won't get into bluetooth applications, but suffice it to say that at least looking into providing bluetooth capabilities into the next generation of radios.

RF/DECODING

Moving on to RF, as others have noted, this radio is very sensitive. While that's great in many circumstances, it also makes the radio much more prone to intermod. So, this is a tradeoff. I am right now monitoring a very low power trunked system from 20 miles away; normally I can only marginally hear it with my Pro-96 with an external antenna, but on the Pro-96 it's coming through full quieting on the stock duck - very nice! There's another trunked system that I monitor that was next to unlistenable due to (analog) dropouts (bad simulcasting, I believe), the system is clear as a bell on the PSR-500. Not so nice is the IMD I'm now getting at my home, which is a quiet location RF-wise.

One other not-very-nice behavior RF-wise is the radio stopping on - and un-muting on - IMD when I have a PL/CTCSS assigned to it. This happens quite a bit, never had this happen on any other radio, Pro-96 and Uniden models included. I haven't seen this happen on DCS/DPL yet, but I don't have a lot of channels with DCS/DPL programmed in either. Perhaps a DSP fix would address this issue (yes, I've already loaded the new DSP code - and the CPU code also, and it's still happening).

Overall, I give a thumbs-up to the RF section, just be aware you need to be smart about using attenuation - which this radio has - so you can avoid IMD and desense and all of those wonderful things a DC-to-daylight scanner will have.

I won't confuse the RF section with the P25 decoding - they are different. Somewhat sadly, one of the main reasons I bought the PSR-500 was to be able to listen to the Starcom21 system that Motorola has installed for the state of Illinois. Non-simulcast towers come in perfectly on the Pro-96, but I was having trouble with simulcast systems (likely CPQSK). Well, the PSR-500 does do better, but by no means is it very good. One very good thing GRE has done is make advanced settings available to edit, and also makes uploading new firmware possible. Since I haven't worked to find the optimum firmware load for the DSP or made any edits to the settings yet, I won't complain too loudly (yet).

I will say this, however - it should work right , right out of the box. I've got the patience to adjust settings and upload new firmware, other people may not be as patient. I do welcome the fact that it hasn't ever passed through undecoded digital audio (motorboating).

[ Continued in next post... reached character limit! ]

JT-112

...continued

[ Continued from previous post ]

USER INTERFACE

Object Oriented Memory/Virtual Scanner

I'm not going to get into the whole object-oriented memory area, I'm still learning it. I can see advantages, and intend to program entirely through software in any case - I'm currently using Win500 and that is doing nicely (it does, however, complain about having 2 conventional channels with the same frequency, even though one has a PL and one has a DCS setting, and they have different alpha tags). I haven't done enough data entry yet to know if I'm going to hit some limits, but I doubt it, as I'm not the type of person to put in every single TG on a statewide system into my scanner - just the ones I know I'll want to hear. So, in that respect I may be a bit more economical on my memory usage. I do use VS a lot and like it - there's just no reason to get my LA-area data mixed up with NorCal data mixed up with NYC mixed up with FL, etc. I like being able to select one and be dedicated to that.

LCD information

Let's start here, it's as good as any other UI place. Overall, there's a whole lot of flashing and blinking going on. Too much flashing and blinking and fluttering. Information overload. Again, I do like the fact that the character count has gone up from the Pro-96, that's very much welcome. What is NOT welcome is the fact that the talkgroup name and system name now alternate. Ugh. On the Pro-96, they were both displayed separately and statically, which was perfect. Now I have to stare at the display and wait for it to change. No more seeing at a glance. This display really should have been 5 lines, not 4. The addition of the softkey line has complicated things, more on that in a bit.

The other thing that really bugs me is something that was carried over from the Pro-96 - the display of the CTCSS/PL/DCS code taking up a whole line on a conventional channel. For me, once I program in a PL code, I'm done, I have no need to see it again. I very very much do want to see the bank alpha tag or the PSR-500 equivalent of a bank tag. I don't just want to see the tag for the channel, but also for the bank. Now, if I program in tone/code search, sure, go ahead and display it then, because I've asked for it. Otherwise, just decode it and let the audio through. Something could be displayed, sure, but don't hog the whole 4th line for something this mundane.

Another nit I have to pick here is the delay, priority and lockout display. If something is set, display it. If something is not set, don't display it. Using a "P" for Priority and "p" for no priority is... well, beyond me. Just show a P when it's set and nothing when it isn't.

Some trailing zero elimination would be nice in the frequency line. I don't need to see 460.600000 when 460.6000 or even 460.600 is perfectly legible.

While I don't use priority often, I did like the "Priority Check" message that popped up from time to time when priority was enabled. Again, "pri" means priority is actually off. "PRI" mean that it's on. That's just plain confusing. Taking the scanner out of the box, I couldn't figure how to turn priority off, but the joke was on me, it was already off.

I like seeing the trunked system names being displayed on the 4th line when scanning, that's nice feedback to know that what I've selected is being scanned. I can't say the same for the conventional channels - the channel tags get displayed as they get scanned, so it's just a hash of blurred characters. Not useful. Again, I'll go back the to bank tag idea - if we had those displayed on the PSR-500 in the same place the trunked system names are, I'd get an easy confirmation that the banks I've selected are being scanned. There might have to be a latching of the name so it's displayed for at least (say) a second, but that's easy enough to do.

The display of the scan lists is fine. I do like the fact that I can select or de-select a scan list at any time when actively scanning. 20 scan lists seems more than adequate. It did take me a while to figure out the what the flashing meant (no assigned objects) but that's fine as well.

Soft Keys

Along with the overly busy nature of the LCD, the lack of functions for the softkeys to actually perform is problematic. Anyone using a recent scanner knows how difficult they are to use, and thus my excitement when seeing that the PSR-500 has softkeys. Softkeys in general are great things, allowing the user (and programmer) to make context-sensitive choices with some minimal prompting. Sadly enough, they're hardly used while actually scanning, there's still a heavy reliance on dedicated keys along with the FUNC key. I don't need softkeys for programming, that happens on a PC. Use the softkeys to get rid of some of the dedicated keys.

When scanning CONV channels, there's only one softkey, that's to STOre the squelch code if the channel is tagged for squelch search. If a code is already stored, there are no softkeys at all, which is a shame. How about putting TLO and LO up there? ATT? Surely someone can think about it and come up with good possibilities for the softkeys.

When scanning TGRPs, all we get is TSYS. If you press that (which is all you can press), you get just one softkey, "Analyz." Great, you made me punch 2 keys when 1 would have done the trick. Maybe there's a reason why there's 2 steps, but it sure as heck isn't obvious.

The SEL key and 4-way keypad

I think that this keypad is also underutilized, like the softkeys. I thought that text could be entered this way, but if it's possible, I haven't found the way (the text entry using the keypad is best left unmentioned, it's cumbersome at best. Better keep the table handy!).

Also, if you want to go UP in the object list... press the DOWN arrow. Yeah. Not exactly what a lot of people will be expecting.

WRAPPING UP

Obviously, I only have a short amount of time with the PSR-500, but first impressions are of course important. There are aspects of this radio which are fixed (no USB port, physical LCD display, keyboard silkscreening, RF characteristics) and will not be changing. However, there are many other things which can be improved through new firmware loads, and this is why I have written this review. I sincerely hope GRE-san does not take offense, the PSR-500 is a good product that can perhaps become great with some additional firmware work. I have been very encouraged to hear that GRE reads these groups and changes have been made already in the product in response to user comments and conditions seen in the field. I offer my comments to GRE-san in the spirit of Kaizen.

Sixtytwo

Swipesy

PSR 500 Review

I have had my PSR 500 for little over a month now. I agree with everything you have observed and have previously sent suggestions to GRE for some of the changes you have noted.

Very good review.

John

kikito

Premium Subscriber
sixtytwo said:
I'm concerned they could rub off after a time; again, I realize most programming will be done by PC but they're not backlit either, and they can disappear against the silvery background of the faceplate in some lighting conditions - like the one I'm in right now as I write this. Now, if they don't rub off, great - but why they're white on a silvery-ish background eludes me.
I'm pretty sure the lettering won't rub off. This keypad seems to be the same quality as the Pro-96 and after all this years, my keypad and case lettering on the Pro-96 still looks like new.

One note about the BNC jack - while the supplied duck fits nicely, other 3rd-party BNC plugs fit much more loosely - loose enough that I'm not entirely sure that the connection is good. I'd like the option of better connectors than BNC, but I can make do with BNC fine.
That's interesting, most people including me have the stock duckie kind of wabbly, but any 3rd party antenna fits quite snug.

I do find the lack of battery status a bit disappointing. What I mean by status is what you'll get on any cell phone - 4-5 divisions, letting you know where your battery charge stands. On the PSR-500 you get nothing until you're going low.
You do get a voltage reading through a GLOB menu option (Battery Info). I know it's not as quick as the BCD396T that will show that with a push on the scroll knob but it's something at least. I can foresee an easy addition in a future firmware release to show that on the Tune display as an option for example.

I've toyed with the Alert LED, this could have some uses here and there. It is bright and is attention-getting, which may not be a good thing in some cases! So far, I'm happy for this feature to be on the radio - time will tell if it gets used.
I use the Alert LED for several things like special TGs and frequencies, Wildcard alerts on new TGs, Sweeper hits, etc. And as you may know, you can turn down the intensity of the LED and also put the scanner in the "stealth" Light mode when you don't want any lights to come on the scanner.

And while I'm not entirely pleased with a lack of a battery meter....
"Work-around" mentioned above. ;)

Battery life (on good 2650 mah NiMH batteries) is over 12 hours - still haven't found the limit yet. I'd wager that this will be less when doing a lot of monitoring of digital systems.
I still get an average of about 10hrs. with moderate to heavy digital traffic.

There is also the data port ("PC/IF" in GRE terms) on the opposite side. Now, I really wonder why this isn't a standard USB port.
This is always a "contentious" subject. My opinion on it is that I don't really see a need for that much more speed than we have with now (115k) for what with do with the scanner. Plus we also have duplex comms and remote control of the scanner that we didn't have before. I could understand the USB need/preference with other gadgets like GPS, PDA, cellphones, etc. The upload/download speeds right now are even faster than before (< 5 secs) for a full load of the scanner. And if it saves money in production, complexity and power consumption per scanner not to include USB, that should translate into a lower price tag I would think. But that's all just another opinion....

One other not-very-nice behavior RF-wise is the radio stopping on - and un-muting on - IMD when I have a PL/CTCSS assigned to it.
I haven't seen that on my radio with either PL or DPL or NAC. Once I have a tone programmed and even knowing there's interference in some of the frequencies, the scanner never stops or opens squelch on them. So it would be interesting to know what could be happening in your case or with your scanner....

I will say this, however - it should work right , right out of the box. I've got the patience to adjust settings and upload new firmware, other people may not be as patient.
And it does work very good and without adjustments for most people right out of the box. This is what the GREs have been known for even with the previous line of scanners.

The addition of letting people tweak "expert" global settings on the new scanners should be seen as a plus and not a needed burden for most. "Brand U" scanners still to this day have several settings like AGC and decoding threshold that people are more likely to have to tweak. Aside from CQPSK systems and interference issues (multi-path, etc.) that even Public Safety users suffer from (i.e. reason rebanding is needed), I would say the scanners we have available today (both main brands), still do a very good job overall.

rhalld38

I also agree with the above review. Why would the squelch knob be with the volume knob? Also the hardware of the radio does make a cracking sound, I have not dropped this unit and the 4 screws on the back our tight. And why when the scanner is scanning the S meter shows with the bars while its scanning? Also the bnc connector is tight where it is hard to connect and disconnect antenna. I have two other scanners and they don't have this problem with the bnc connector. I have never had been so frustrated with a scanner til I received this one.

rvawatch

when scanning, why not make the softkeys for "stealth mode" or "battery display." heck, even make what shows up as your softkeys customizable.

724Gangsta

Control Channel Decoding question...

I'm considering picking this scanner up; can you simultaneously receive normal audio outputs AND decode control channel data?

mikey60

724Gangsta said:
I'm considering picking this scanner up; can you simultaneously receive normal audio outputs AND decode control channel data?

It can send the control channel data while idle, but once a voice channel grant comes in, the radio switches to that, and no control channel data is available.

Mike

kikito

Premium Subscriber
rvawatch said:
when scanning, why not make the softkeys for "stealth mode" or "battery display." heck, even make what shows up as your softkeys customizable.

That would be really nice if it's possible.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
sixtytwo said:
I'm currently using Win500 and that is doing nicely (it does, however, complain about having 2 conventional channels with the same frequency, even though one has a PL and one has a DCS setting, and they have different alpha tags).
The scanner itself has an option (DupeChecksSQ) that checks for duplicates by frequency AND squelch mode, so I wonder if that it's a software issue or what....

Overall, there's a whole lot of flashing and blinking going on. Too much flashing and blinking and fluttering. Information overload. Again, I do like the fact that the character count has gone up from the Pro-96, that's very much welcome. What is NOT welcome is the fact that the talkgroup name and system name now alternate. Ugh. On the Pro-96, they were both displayed separately and statically, which was perfect. Now I have to stare at the display and wait for it to change. No more seeing at a glance.
That blinking and alternating is adjustable by changing the delays in the scanner GLOB options called: LCD BlinkOff and LCD BlinkOn. The "BlinkOff" is the delay for the TG tag and the "BlinkOn" is the delay for the system name. According to what you set the values in milliseconds, you can basically make it stationary on one field or the other. You can also adjust the same delays for the LED light, accordingly named LED BlinkOff and LED BlinkOn.

I don't need softkeys for programming, that happens on a PC. Use the softkeys to get rid of some of the dedicated keys.
I personally like "dedicated" keys for many of the most used functions. Because sometimes it gets old in the Unidens to sort through all kinds of menus just to turn something on or off. The way it is for me with the PSR-500, I only use menus when I need to program or edit objects or Global settings. Otherwise, once everything is programmed, I rarely need to be swimming through all kinds of menus for most common options.

When scanning CONV channels, there's only one softkey, that's to STOre the squelch code if the channel is tagged for squelch search. If a code is already stored, there are no softkeys at all, which is a shame. How about putting TLO and LO up there? ATT? Surely someone can think about it and come up with good possibilities for the softkeys.
Why? We already have dedicated keys for that. You can even select how your Lockout key behaves as far as Temporary and Permanent Lockouts. We also already have a dedicated ATT button which can be used for channel or global attenuation. If they can put something there for the softkeys, maybe what someone else sugggested earlier like Battery gauge or Stealth mode, etc. might be more useful.

I thought that text could be entered this way, but if it's possible, I haven't found the way (the text entry using the keypad is best left unmentioned, it's cumbersome at best. Better keep the table handy!).
Text entry is just like the Pro-96. And once you get used to it, you can enter text fairly quick and easy. The faceplate shows you what letters are available for each key you press along with the display also shows the available letters everytime you press a key in those cases it might be too dark to see the faceplate labels. I can enter tags for 2 channels in the time it takes me to enter only one in the Uniden. Nevermind all the scrolling it takes that might wear out your fingers and the knob in the long term. ;)

Also, if you want to go UP in the object list... press the DOWN arrow. Yeah. Not exactly what a lot of people will be expecting.
That's another one of those "have to get used to" concepts. The way to envision it is like moving about on a spreadsheet. You use the Down arrow on your computer keyboard to scroll down the list and Up arrow to go up the list.

There are aspects of this radio which are fixed (no USB port, physical LCD display, keyboard silkscreening, RF characteristics) and will not be changing.
Not sure what's wrong with the "physical LCD display" but I personally find it much easier, clearier and brighter to read than my BCD396T. And about the "silkscreening", at least it's not going to wear off like on my BCD396T.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Psr500

HARDWARE

So, let's take a look at the physical unit itself. It's a solid build, there's some cracking noises under gentle twisting (hey, no destructive testing here!), but nothing major. It has concentric volume and squelch knobs, which I honestly don't like - I have a Uniden model where mild use and an innocent drop made the knobs turn as one. Yes, it was fixed but it never worked quite the same way after I bent it back. Plus, there's really no need to save real estate space on the top of the radio, there's only the BNC antenna connector, headphone jack and the volume/squelch knob - there's plenty of space available there to have separate knobs. Honestly though, not a huge deal.

I think the factor here as in other manufacturers is not real estate it's profit. The two function in spot design saves cost albiet pennies it does add up over the production lifetime. I too prefer the seperate knobs but they are disappearing quickly to drive down costs.

Much more of a big deal is the keypad. While it's backlit reasonably well (there is room for improvement with greater brightness), there are simply too many keys here. Let me be specific - the two columns of keys on the right-hand side are a pain. I'm used to big SCAN and MAN buttons, but here they're just 2 buttons out of 12; they're not even in special places (like lower right or upper right - something the brain can remember and the hand can find without the eyes being involved in reading the button labels).

Well my brain is trained to know scan is the second button down the right side of the radio and man is to the left of that. Not too difficult to learn, although your method is easier.

Now, while I'll be up-front and say I'm sure no one will seriously try to program this radio by hand, I do have to point out the microscopic white silkscreening for the alpha characters (almost said alphanumeric!) and the delay, VS, and lock functions. Did I mention these are microscopic? I'm concerned they could rub off after a time; again, I realize most programming will be done by PC but they're not backlit either, and they can disappear against the silvery background of the faceplate in some lighting conditions - like the one I'm in right now as I write this. Now, if they don't rub off, great - but why they're white on a silvery-ish background eludes me. I looked at the user manual before I picked up this unit, it looks better in the manual than it does in person. A flat-black faceplate would have worked better, that would have provided high contrast to the white letters. In any case, the fact that this silkscreening is even needed is a symptom of some UI issues, I'll chat about that later. Same goes for the large number of buttons.

Not sure how backlighting the VS would improve the HMI. You need to press PGM FUNC PGM just like the 96 to get to the VS. So backlighting that symbol would confuse you more than anything. Microscopic I guess is a matter of what glasses you need, I too have been scanning since the early 70's and monitoring longer than that. So my glasse allow me to read those easily. The younger crowd would have no issue.

My original antenna is very loose just as reported here by many. The Radio Shack 800MHz antenna fits perfect with no play. As does many of the OptoElectronic antennas I use and the GRE flex 800.

The LCD backlighting is fine, as usual, more backlighting would help in some situations. I do like the dedicated area for the signal strength bars and the T and G symbols. I do find the lack of battery status a bit disappointing. What I mean by status is what you'll get on any cell phone - 4-5 divisions, letting you know where your battery charge stands. On the PSR-500 you get nothing until you're going low.

My battery Icon comes on about 30 minutes before the battery dies. The radio begins to beep as the battey gets closer to the radio shut off threshold too. So I personally don't see a need for a meter. I don't need to see if the battery is full or half I am more concerned about when I need to change the batteries and it does a much better job than the Pro-96.

One nice thing is that the LCD shows quite a few more characters as compared to the Pro-96. I was getting tired of programming in tags like BRHRJ F4 FGN and now I can take a much better shot at abbreviation or, more usually, spelling out the tag entirely. Yay! This is obviously good, but overall the LCD is too busy, I'll get into that later on.

One of the best features. Blue for Police, Red for Fire, Yellow for EMS and I can tell from across the room who it is. Flashing blue for federal the list goes on. Need it off as well as the backlite? A few keystrokes and you can enter stealth mode.

I love the battery pack options on the PSR-500. This is something I first was exposed to on the Pro-96 and I'll have to have a compelling reason to go back. I have several "Brand U" handhelds that are no longer in service because the battery pack has expired and it's just not worth it to replace it. With the AA battery pack holder approach, as AA cell batteries get better, I get the benefits automatically, no need to buy a new custom pack. And while I'm not entirely pleased with a lack of a battery meter, I do applaud the fact I can tell the PSR-500 what kind of batteries I have installed so it can use the right settings for low battery detection.

There is a 9V power connector on the side - kudos for putting a diagram of the pins on the side of the unit, that's appreciated!

That being said you need a battery meter for what?

There is also the data port ("PC/IF" in GRE terms) on the opposite side. Now, I really wonder why this isn't a standard USB port. The chipsets are cheap as dirt and have been for quite a while now. My cell phone is charged and also communicates through a USB port. Even the slowest UBS transmission speed is 1.5 Mbits/s, which would seem to be plenty quick enough for any data needs here. USB can support up to 500 mA, not sure if that's enough to charge or operate the PSR-500 but if so, it would have been a good addition. As I mentioned early on, some things will have to wait for future generations... But USB connectivity would mean standard cables (no going into a panic if you lose your special USB dongle/PSR-500 adapter) and other flexibility going forward. I won't get into bluetooth applications, but suffice it to say that at least looking into providing bluetooth capabilities into the next generation of radios.

RF/DECODING

Moving on to RF, as others have noted, this radio is very sensitive. While that's great in many circumstances, it also makes the radio much more prone to intermod. So, this is a tradeoff. I am right now monitoring a very low power trunked system from 20 miles away; normally I can only marginally hear it with my Pro-96 with an external antenna, but on the Pro-96 it's coming through full quieting on the stock duck - very nice! There's another trunked system that I monitor that was next to unlistenable due to (analog) dropouts (bad simulcasting, I believe), the system is clear as a bell on the PSR-500. Not so nice is the IMD I'm now getting at my home, which is a quiet location RF-wise.

One other not-very-nice behavior RF-wise is the radio stopping on - and un-muting on - IMD when I have a PL/CTCSS assigned to it. This happens quite a bit, never had this happen on any other radio, Pro-96 and Uniden models included. I haven't seen this happen on DCS/DPL yet, but I don't have a lot of channels with DCS/DPL programmed in either. Perhaps a DSP fix would address this issue (yes, I've already loaded the new DSP code - and the CPU code also, and it's still happening).

No issue in the last 2 months on mine so far using PL, DPL or NAC.

Overall, I give a thumbs-up to the RF section, just be aware you need to be smart about using attenuation - which this radio has - so you can avoid IMD and desense and all of those wonderful things a DC-to-daylight scanner will have.

I won't confuse the RF section with the P25 decoding - they are different. Somewhat sadly, one of the main reasons I bought the PSR-500 was to be able to listen to the Starcom21 system that Motorola has installed for the state of Illinois. Non-simulcast towers come in perfectly on the Pro-96, but I was having trouble with simulcast systems (likely CPQSK). Well, the PSR-500 does do better, but by no means is it very good. One very good thing GRE has done is make advanced settings available to edit, and also makes uploading new firmware possible. Since I haven't worked to find the optimum firmware load for the DSP or made any edits to the settings yet, I won't complain too loudly (yet).

I will say this, however - it should work right , right out of the box. I've got the patience to adjust settings and upload new firmware, other people may not be as patient. I do welcome the fact that it hasn't ever passed through undecoded digital audio (motorboating).

[ Continued in next post... reached character limit! ][/quote]

Last edited:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Review

sixtytwo said:

USER INTERFACE

Object Oriented Memory/Virtual Scanner

I'm not going to get into the whole object-oriented memory area, I'm still learning it. I can see advantages, and intend to program entirely through software in any case - I'm currently using Win500 and that is doing nicely (it does, however, complain about having 2 conventional channels with the same frequency, even though one has a PL and one has a DCS setting, and they have different alpha tags). I haven't done enough data entry yet to know if I'm going to hit some limits, but I doubt it, as I'm not the type of person to put in every single TG on a statewide system into my scanner - just the ones I know I'll want to hear. So, in that respect I may be a bit more economical on my memory usage. I do use VS a lot and like it - there's just no reason to get my LA-area data mixed up with NorCal data mixed up with NYC mixed up with FL, etc. I like being able to select one and be dedicated to that.

I haven't has this problem using PSREdit. Maybe there is a settings menu for this?

LCD information

Let's start here, it's as good as any other UI place. Overall, there's a whole lot of flashing and blinking going on. Too much flashing and blinking and fluttering. Information overload. Again, I do like the fact that the character count has gone up from the Pro-96, that's very much welcome. What is NOT welcome is the fact that the talkgroup name and system name now alternate. Ugh. On the Pro-96, they were both displayed separately and statically, which was perfect. Now I have to stare at the display and wait for it to change. No more seeing at a glance. This display really should have been 5 lines, not 4. The addition of the softkey line has complicated things, more on that in a bit.

You can control the flashing and blinking. I find it very useful however you need to select the proper timing for you.

Another nit I have to pick here is the delay, priority and lockout display. If something is set, display it. If something is not set, don't display it. Using a "P" for Priority and "p" for no priority is... well, beyond me. Just show a P when it's set and nothing when it isn't.

Shouldn't be confusing it is the same on your Pro-96. I agree why display anything if it's set to off but having the Pro-96 I am used to it.

Some trailing zero elimination would be nice in the frequency line. I don't need to see 460.600000 when 460.6000 or even 460.600 is perfectly legible.

Unless of course you are listening to 460.6125 or some newer narrow band frequency requiring more than 6 digits. How else would they do it? Only display non zero values? Why bother when the zero is a perfect place holder.

While I don't use priority often, I did like the "Priority Check" message that popped up from time to time when priority was enabled. Again, "pri" means priority is actually off. "PRI" mean that it's on. That's just plain confusing. Taking the scanner out of the box, I couldn't figure how to turn priority off, but the joke was on me, it was already off.

Let's not forget you can set a priority on a TG now. Again I agree why display something that is off?

I like seeing the trunked system names being displayed on the 4th line when scanning, that's nice feedback to know that what I've selected is being scanned. I can't say the same for the conventional channels - the channel tags get displayed as they get scanned, so it's just a hash of blurred characters. Not useful. Again, I'll go back the to bank tag idea - if we had those displayed on the PSR-500 in the same place the trunked system names are, I'd get an easy confirmation that the banks I've selected are being scanned. There might have to be a latching of the name so it's displayed for at least (say) a second, but that's easy enough to do.

You can't get an idea of what bank is scanned because there are no banks. The scanned object can be in any scan list and in every scan list. So the only confirmation of what scan list is scanned is the scan list number. Select that scan list or don't that will tell you what is scanned. If you want conventional seperate only store those in one scan list. Then if that scan list is on you know what you're scanning.

Sixtytwo

I think some of the things you think are issues will fade once you settle in with the radio.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Nasty Mistake

tbhausen said:
Now that's an interesting feature!

Todd/Indy

Holy Shut Off Batman! I changed that to the correct terminolgy "Shut Off" instead of, well you know.

Sorry

And Thanks for pointing that out. Doh!

Les

JT-112

I was the recipient of an emergency dental extraction a few days ago, I haven't been reading this (or any other) thread...

I'll post more tomorrow (I hope!)...

JT-112

OK, so enough with the unfortunate dental events, I said I would follow up with more, and so here we go...

Note, I've purposely held off reading the comments that people have posted, I'm doing that to keep my viewpoint. Be assured, I will comb through everything and start re-reading all of the PSR-*00 threads to find the nuggets that I am absolutely sure are out there. So, if I touch on a point that someone has commented on already, that's why. After I post this, I'll come back and address the comments that others have made. Again, I do know that I'm still on the learning curve with this unit, but learning curves don't *have* to be high - good UI design makes the complicated easy to understand and access.

Going back to the battery display - It would be very helpful to have an indication that this radio is plugged into the power supply. Right now there's no feedback at all. Nor is there any feedback that the batteries are charging.

I did figure out the way to have the LCD only light up when there's a signal is to set all of the objects to have an alert, with that alert being LCD backlight. Very nice, that should save some battery. Now, it would have been a bit more straightforward to have a selection on the backlight screen menu (the one with on, keypress, ignore, stealth) of signal. Perhaps there's a patent involved that had to be worked around, and actually that's really the only acceptable reason for making this more complicated than it could have been. Understand me, I like the flexibility of being able to pick and choose which objects get the LCD backlight lit up, but in reality, it's probably going to be each and every one of them.

I'm going to guess that patents might also be the reason why there's no "negative delay" on this radio. I did like this feature on the Uniden side as I monitor a lot of channels that are 99% routine and let's face it, filler. To have the radio continue scanning after 5 or 10 seconds on these channels is a great thing. Now, coupled with this feature is the need to have a big MAN button which is easy to find and mash for those 1% of transmissions that are of interest, unfortunately this radio lacks that (but it does have a big SEL button which would work fine for this). Don't get me started on the differences between PSE and MAN - oh, I know there are differences but really there should only be one MAN button. Same for L/OUT - I love TLO but why two buttons? TLO could be a momentary press and permanent LO could be pressing the button for (for example) more than 1.5 seconds.

(Speaking of patents, many can simply be worked around if people think creatively. While it's the goal of patent writers to make them as broad and general as possible, there are usually (legal) ways around the patent. Failing that, patents can be licensed. Of course, if your biggest competitor is the patent holder, it gets more interesting, but then cross-licensing may come into play. Bottom line - not all is lost when you run into a patent.)

Moving along - I'd like to repeat here that the access to information and settings that this radio gives you is simply outstanding. From the PC/IF to the menu selections, the amount of information that can either be monitored or edited is simply fantastic. For example, for me, the settings for the signal strength bars are entirely too optimistic. No worries, just set them up higher.

I really like the fact that the PC/IF can be active during scanning - this is a nice improvement from the Pro-96, as that radio needed to be placed into a specific mode while on a 9600 baud CC to monitor. I also really like the fact that other CC types (e.g., 3600 baud) also send data to the PC/IF port as well. Programs (OK, just Pro96Com that I know of) that read the data coming off of the PC/IF port can perhaps be updated to "understand" that the PSR-500 can be sending information on several different trunk systems, not just the one that was possible on the Pro-96. Also, there might need to be some adjustments as the data flow obviously stops when the radio tunes to a voice channel - as it stands now, Pro96Com stops displaying all data after a few seconds of data loss. Perhaps freezing this data for a longer period of time might be helpful? In any case, I'm eating up this capability and am very much looking forward to new versions of the data-reading programs being released.

While I haven't used it very much yet, I also see promise in the radio control feature. Perhaps Pro96com will allow my Pro-96 to monitor the CC and control my PSR-500 in the future.

Speaking of CC monitoring, I'm a bit disappointed in the Multi-site feature. I had thought that the PSR-500 was actually going to get the neighbor list from the CC and then sample the neighbors from time to time. That is, enter in a System ID (or WACN?) and let the scanner do all the work and get all of the up-to-date data from the definitive source - the system itself. This approach would eliminate data entry errors, and while some data entry would still have to be done (unless the radio could be made to seek out all CCs and find a suitable one with the right Sys ID), it would be minimized. I would, however say that the ability to tag tower names to site IDs would be invaluable for troubleshooting and just general system awareness.

Now, this last thing is a bit of a stretch (it's a 24-bit field!) - but perhaps the Unit ID could be displayed on the radio when listening to APCO25 trunked systems. The icing on the cake would be mapping Unit ID to a text tag and displaying that (a la Pro96com), but this is all cake at this point, there are other meat-and-potatoes issues to look at on this unit. I guess I'll leave my desire for diversity reception for another day as well!

Overall, I really like this radio, but I think it can be made an outstanding radio with some updates. I've invested both the purchase price (not insignificant) and the time writing up my impressions, I do have some hopes for some return on that investment.

Thanks for reading,

Sixtytwo

mikey60

sixtytwo said:
I really like the fact that the PC/IF can be active during scanning - this is a nice improvement from the Pro-96, as that radio needed to be placed into a specific mode while on a 9600 baud CC to monitor. I also really like the fact that other CC types (e.g., 3600 baud) also send data to the PC/IF port as well. Programs (OK, just Pro96Com that I know of) that read the data coming off of the PC/IF port can perhaps be updated to "understand" that the PSR-500 can be sending information on several different trunk systems, not just the one that was possible on the Pro-96. Also, there might need to be some adjustments as the data flow obviously stops when the radio tunes to a voice channel - as it stands now, Pro96Com stops displaying all data after a few seconds of data loss. Perhaps freezing this data for a longer period of time might be helpful? In any case, I'm eating up this capability and am very much looking forward to new versions of the data-reading programs being released.

Believe me, the concept of monitoring multiple control channel streams is no small task. It takes time it determine which site you're monitoring, which in many cases doesn't appear in the amount of time the radio spends on a control channel.

sixtytwo said:
While I haven't used it very much yet, I also see promise in the radio control feature. Perhaps Pro96com will allow my Pro-96 to monitor the CC and control my PSR-500 in the future.

Pro96Com is already is capable of this. I've run it in that configuration on a number of occasions.

Mike

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
"How about having a softkey used for Manual or Hold?"

THERE IS A MAN KEY, AND A PAUSE KEY ( PSE ) THAT HOLDS WHAT IS ON THE DISPLAY...

FOR THOSE WHO LIKE BANKS I ENTERED 1000 EMPTY CONV OBJECTS AND DIVIDED THEM INTO 10 BANKS USING THE SOFTWARE....THEN YOU JUST CHOOSE THE OBJECT NUMBER AND REPLACE THE 25.00000 ENTRY... YOU CAN EASILY LOCKOUT ALL OF THE UNUSED OBJECTS IN EACH BANK UNTIL IT IS TIME TO USE THEM. I STARTED TRUNKING OBJECTS AT OBJ. NUMBER 1501 SO THEY STAY SEPARATED FROM CONV. OBJ'S. YOU CAN ALSO SORT THE FREQS IN A BANK AND RE-NUMBER THE OBJECTS SO THEY ARE IN FREQ ORDER....QUITE A VERSITILE RADIO !!

Status
Not open for further replies.