PSR-500 - Radio ID's to Alpha - West Metro Prelim

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch40n1k

I don't know if any of you have had a chance to play with the semi-new radio id function on the PSR-500, but I've been playing around with it, and it's pretty cool. The PSR-500 will display radio id's if told to ... you can then tie the radio id to an alpha tag.

I haven't even tried to match id's on the DTRS system, but I've compiled a preliminary list for West Metro Fire that does a good job showing how this works. The id's listed are only for apparatus not portables.

To learn how to display radio id's as alpha tags, go here: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84456

Here's the list I have so far:

Engine 1 - 1045
Medic 1 - 1019

Squrt 2 - 1081
Medic 2 - 1008

Medic 4 - 1010

Engine 7 - 1033
Bureau 7 - 1043

Squrt 8 - 1030

Engine 9 - 1032

Engine 11 - 1026

Engine 12 -1034
Medic 12 - 1034

WM Dispatcher 1 - 101
WM Dispatcher 2 -102
WM Dispatcher 3 - 103

Last edited:

utlchris

With West Metro you should be able to set up the portable Id's as well. The portables stay with the Equipment. So Engine 7 would be portable 7A, Portable 7B, Portable 7C. I Believe 7A would be the officer, 7B the engineer, and 7C the crew.

On the PD side each officer has his own portable with their names as an Alias. The cars can be any sector and are aliased by the car number itself.

ch40n1k

With West Metro you should be able to set up the portable Id's as well. The portables stay with the Equipment. So Engine 7 would be portable 7A, Portable 7B, Portable 7C. I Believe 7A would be the officer, 7B the engineer, and 7C the crew.

On the PD side each officer has his own portable with their names as an Alias. The cars can be any sector and are aliased by the car number itself.

Thanks Chris! I'm still a little confused while watching the LPD radio id's ... but I'm making progress.

utlchris

Thanks Chris! I'm still a little confused while watching the LPD radio id's ... but I'm making progress.

Yeah probably not much you can do with those as the cars are in different parts of town every shift/day and although the Agents usually work the same beat the new ones still get switched around.

ch40n1k

Yeah probably not much you can do with those as the cars are in different parts of town every shift/day and although the Agents usually work the same beat the new ones still get switched around.

Pretty much figured ... I stopped logging their id's last night after thinking about it for awhile.

jfab

So let me get this straight...you can log radio ID's, and have it come up as "Engine 1" on your radio when ever that particular radio keys up?

Scan-Denver

I don't know if any of you have had a chance to play with the semi-new radio id function on the PSR-500, but I've been playing around with it, and it's pretty cool. The PSR-500 will display radio id's if told to ... you can then tie the radio id to an alpha tag.
How do you get the 500 to show the radio id ?

ch40n1k

How do you get the 500 to show the radio id ?

I use Win500, so I'll explain how to do it through Win500. You need the latest version. At the bottom right of the "General Settings" tab, there is a checkbox for "Show Radio ID's for Group Calls", check that box. Once you upload to the scanner, the radio id will now display on the 4th line of the display.

Next, if you go to the "TSYS Objects" tab, select the system that you want to label the id's for. (i.e. I have west metro as the first system in the list, with the talkgroup objects displayed in the pane below)

Create a new talkgroup object, by right clicking somewhere in the list, and clicking "Insert Item". Change the object type to "Private". Enter the radio id in the Group or Radio ID field and give it a label in the Alpha Tag field. Again, upload and the scanner will display your Alpha tag instead of the radio id on the 4th line of the display.

Last edited:

Scan-Denver

I think I understand how to program the alpha tag for a radio ID.

What I don't understand is - how do you set the scanner to show the radio id when someone is talking. The only thing mine is showing now is "TSYS" on the 4th line.

ch40n1k

I think I understand how to program the alpha tag for a radio ID.

What I don't understand is - how do you set the scanner to show the radio id when someone is talking. The only thing mine is showing now is "TSYS" on the 4th line.

I don't know how to do it via the radio. But if you look in Win500, at the very bottom right of the "General Settings" tab, there is a checkbox for "Show Radio ID's for Group Calls" ... check that box. It's a new feature, I think released in the 1.4 CPU update, so newer versions of software are required. I've only tried Win500, so I don't know about PSREdit or any other software.

Last edited:

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
The instructions for turning on the radio ID feature from the front panel of the radio are contained in the CPU 1.4 release notes.

PSREdit does support adding "private" IDs to trunking objects in order to display radio ID aliases. Just remember that each ID alias you store is taking up memory in your radio ;)

Scan-Denver

The instructions for turning on the radio ID feature from the front panel of the radio are contained in the CPU 1.4 release notes.

PSREdit does support adding "private" IDs to trunking objects in order to display radio ID aliases. Just remember that each ID alias you store is taking up memory in your radio ;)
If you're talking about the "ReleaseCPU_U14FW" text file that comes with the CPU 1.4 file, there weren't any instructions on how to make the scanner display radio ID's.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Okay, well I guess they weren't really descriptive instructions, but they did say which menu to find the option in (that's how I turned it on):

* Added "Show RadioID" option in SE-GLOB. If enabled, shows
radio ID (where available) during voice calls.

Anyhow, here are a bit more detailed instructions on how to turn it on from the front keypad of the radio - and a piece of advice to mold any expectations for this feature:

1) You have to enable radio ID with PGM, Func-Glob, scroll down to the RadioID item and enable it. Make sure you press Save after enabling.

2) Read the update notes which outline the limitations of the new feature.

Scan-Denver

Okay, well I guess they weren't really descriptive instructions, but they did say which menu to find the option in (that's how I turned it on):

Anyhow, here are a bit more detailed instructions on how to turn it on from the front keypad of the radio - and a piece of advice to mold any expectations for this feature:
That worked, thanks for the info.

SCPD

QRT
How do I convert these ID tags to Motorola Ids

Is there away to convert the GRE TAGS to Motorola 7xxxxxx . Example I am 751906 and I get a 4718 on my display......

Status
Not open for further replies.