PSR 500 Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

swann3030

I recently purchased a PSR 500 upgrading from a Uniden SC200. I find the reception on the PSR 500 to be far less than my former Uniden. With the Uniden I regularly pulled signals from a county away now I am struggling to pick up in county frequencies.
I even purchased a RS center load whip with no help.
I am trying to listen to conventional systems mostly, am I missing something in programing? Any advice?
When using Win500 Monitor/Control Tab my signal is anywhere from 350-650 (unsure of unit of measure)

darrylcn

There isn't a G in the display by chance is there? Or an A displayed when you stop on one of the items that's coming from far away?

miata54

Premium Subscriber
There isn't a G in the display by chance is there? Or an A displayed when you stop on one of the items that's coming from far away?

Interested in your questions as I have "G" displayed on every transmission. Also, I have not seen an "A" at all (only had the 500 a week now). What does an "A" indicate?

Oops. Just found the "A" & "G" functions.

Thx

Last edited:

darrylcn

G means that the Global Attenuate us on. Unless you need it on because things are "too" strong, you can turn it off. Func + Att will turn it off. Take a look in the manual to confirm the official meaning but that's my understanding. I never use/need it.

mikey60

For clarification:

G = Global Attenuation Mode
A = Attenuation On.

When the Global Attenuation Mode is on (G visible), individual object attenuation settings are ignored by the radio. All objects are either attenuated (A Visible) or not attenuated (A not visible).

When the Global Attenuation Mode is off (G Not visible) then attenuation is based on the setting on each individual object.

So to sum up:

G = Nothing is attenuated (even if object is set to attenuated)
GA = Everything is attenuated
A = Individual object is attenuated

Mike

SCPD

QRT
With the PSR500 .. don't use an external antenna. It is not required as the radio is super sensitive already.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

My guess, is desense. Try the attenuator on the VHF signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.