PSR 500 Scanlist Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4a3t

I've had a PSR 500 for about two weeks now. It's a great radio. There is I one thing that I've not figured out yet. I imported my Pro 96 data from Win 96 into Win 500. I then made additions and modifications to the different scan lists that I brought in. What happens when I manually scroll through the objects in an individual scanlists is they don't maintain the same order in the PSR 500 as they are laid out in Win 500. What's a possible solution.

DonS

The PSR-500, while viewing objects within scan lists, always shows them to you in "object ID" order within the current scan list.

Win500, though, lets you sort/view in several orders, not just in "object ID order".

m4a3t

Thanks DonS, I figure out a way to best change the object ID numbering. Great software you make. I'm running Win 96 and 500 it on a Mac Pro under VM Ware Fusion with Windows XP Pro. Thanks again.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Yea without Win500 mine would be a mess! It not only lets you view and sort, it lets you change.

I only wish that I could upload to the scanner with the IDs of my choice. The way I keep things straight in Win500 is by grouping stuff with like IDs (0000-01000 something while 02000-03000 is something else).

Unfortunately these are all reassigned when I upload. The order is maintained, but the ID changes. Not sure if this is a scanner thing or a Win500 thing...

DonS

bneilson said:
Yea without Win500 mine would be a mess! It not only lets you view and sort, it lets you change.

I only wish that I could upload to the scanner with the IDs of my choice. The way I keep things straight in Win500 is by grouping stuff with like IDs (0000-01000 something while 02000-03000 is something else).

Unfortunately these are all reassigned when I upload. The order is maintained, but the ID changes. Not sure if this is a scanner thing or a Win500 thing...
The PSR-500's ObjectIDs only go up to 1851. Win500 lets you create 100,000 objects in a single file (this is mainly to let you create large files that you'd "trim" before uploading to the radio).

If you have IDs greater than 1851 in Win500 and try to upload to the radio, Win500 should present a message to that effect. If you tell it to upload anyway, it will re-assign the "offending" (greater than 1851) IDs.

The only way to ensure that the IDs in the radio are exactly what you see in Win500 is to limit them to the range 0000 - 1851.

RKG

bneilson said:

Try this:

Mark all objects, command an Object ID reset starting at 5000.

Now cut and paste blocks putting things in the order you want.

Now reset Object ID starting at 0.

or

Mark all objects, command an Object reset starting at 5000.

Now mark the group you want first and do Object ID reset starting at 0.

Now sort by object ID (your first group moves to the top).

Now repeat prior two steps, starting each reset at n+1 (<5000) from prior action.

This is almost easier (and faster) to do than to describe.

m4a3t

The way I restructured mine was to sort the scanlists by "scanlists" in the "All Objects" tab, then repositioned talkgroup objects in the order that I wanted them. I reassigned the Object ID numbers using scanlist number as a reference like the example of the screen shot of Win500 on the Starrsoft website. Worked out great. Thanks to DonS for pointing me in that direction.

wnjl

Is there any way to have the scanner scan through trunked objects first, then conventional objects? That would be my only peeve, haven't found a way to get around that yet.

troymail

Silent Key
RKG said:
Try this:

Mark all objects, command an Object ID reset starting at 5000.

Now cut and paste blocks putting things in the order you want.

Now reset Object ID starting at 0.

or

Mark all objects, command an Object reset starting at 5000.

Now mark the group you want first and do Object ID reset starting at 0.

Now sort by object ID (your first group moves to the top).

Now repeat prior two steps, starting each reset at n+1 (<5000) from prior action.

This is almost easier (and faster) to do than to describe.

I use this concept quite a bit to get the object order I want...

Hey DonS --- I may have mentioned this before -- something that would make this easier would be a sort of "expand" and "pack" feature --

Say I take a system or set of objects, sort them (say for example by TG id) and then "move" them out to start at object 5000. I'd like to be able to specify a per talkgroup "gap" of 3 so Win500 would arrange them like 5000, 5003, 5006, etc. This allows me to insert things "in between" if I desire. I repeat this for other "systems" but starting at a different point (i.e. 8000). Then, prior to loading to the radio, I want to "pack" the entire "set" of objects into the lower 1851 objects- but in the exact same order. That way, I don't have to shift them "up" and then shift them "back" before loading the radio to keep them ordered...

Thoughts?

DonS

troymail said:
Hey DonS --- I may have mentioned this before -- something that would make this easier would be a sort of "expand" and "pack" feature --

Say I take a system or set of objects, sort them (say for example by TG id) and then "move" them out to start at object 5000. I'd like to be able to specify a per talkgroup "gap" of 3 so Win500 would arrange them like 5000, 5003, 5006, etc. This allows me to insert things "in between" if I desire. I repeat this for other "systems" but starting at a different point (i.e. 8000). Then, prior to loading to the radio, I want to "pack" the entire "set" of objects into the lower 1851 objects- but in the exact same order. That way, I don't have to shift them "up" and then shift them "back" before loading the radio to keep them ordered...

Thoughts?
I have this added for the next release. I added a "Step" field to the "Reassign Object IDs" dialog. It defaults to 1, and allows entries between 1 and 10,000.

One thing to be careful of, however, when "packing" them down to 0-1851... Win500 does not store your objects in ObjectID order. It stores them in the order they appear in the "All Objects" tab. This means that if you let Win500 automatically reassign the Object IDs on upload to the radio, you won't necessarily get them in exactly the same Object ID order. That is, if you had three objects (1000, 1003, and 1006), you'd only get a 1000 -> 0000, 1003 -> 0001, 1006 -> 0002 "mapping" if the objects were already sorted by ascending Object ID in the "All Objects" tab.

DonS

DonS said:
I have this added for the next release. I added a "Step" field to the "Reassign Object IDs" dialog. It defaults to 1, and allows entries between 1 and 10,000.
It's on the web site, in version 1.47.

DonS

wnjl said:
Is there any way to have the scanner scan through trunked objects first, then conventional objects? That would be my only peeve, haven't found a way to get around that yet.
It's been my experience that the radio scans through CONV objects, then the TSYS objects for "enabled" TGRPs, then various "search" objects, then starts over with CONV objects.

So, essentially, it does what you want... if you ignore the "first" check of the CONV objects.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
wnjl said:

I believe it is all based on the object ID. Put your conventional objects at the top end of the object IDs and they should come last in the scanning sequence...

DonS

bneilson said:
I believe it is all based on the object ID. Put your conventional objects at the top end of the object IDs and they should come last in the scanning sequence...
The order in which objects are scanned is not based on Object ID, at least not primarily. In my experience CONV objects are scanned first, followed by TSYS objects (based on TGRPs in enabled scan lists), with the various "search" types at the end. Within each object type, Object ID ordering might be important, but certainly not at a top level.

kcoleman

I didn't want to start a new thread about the scanlist since there are a couple already here.

And my apologies if this has been asked before.

I s there a way for the scanlist alpha tag to display during scanning vs. the individual alpha tag per frequency on the conventional scanlist?

Keith,

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
kcoleman said:
I s there a way for the scanlist alpha tag to display during scanning vs. the individual alpha tag per frequency on the conventional scanlist?

Keith,
Scanlist alpha tags are not stored in scanner, with or without software.

DonS

fmon said:
Scanlist alpha tags are not stored in scanner, with or without software.
Oh, they're stored in the scanner, all right. They just aren't used anywhere but in the "GLOB" menu.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
DonS said:
Oh, they're stored in the scanner, all right. They just aren't used anywhere but in the "GLOB" menu.
Only mention of Scanlist in GLOB menu is Dfit ScanList. Could be wrong, but I took his meaning to be a name for each of 20 ScanList as you have them available for editing in the General Settings tab. I currently use all trunking systems so my bottom line list is from the TSyS tag.

DonS

fmon said:
Only mention of Scanlist in GLOB menu is Dfit ScanList. Could be wrong, but I took his meaning to be a name for each of 20 ScanList as you have them available for editing in the General Settings tab.
On my PSR-500, I see "Scan Lists" between "WxPri" and "SRCH L/Outs" on the GLOB menu. Pressing the SEL key while on that item takes me to a sub-menu that lets me edit the scan list tags.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
DonS said:
On my PSR-500, I see "Scan Lists" between "WxPri" and "SRCH L/Outs" on the GLOB menu. Pressing the SEL key while on that item takes me to a sub-menu that lets me edit the scan list tags.
Yes as in my previous but Dfit ScanList only allows the user to select a scanlist number (hex or dec) as default. However, it offers no opportunity to alpha tag a scanlist per the question posed by Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.