PSR 500: Scanner Speed & Virtual Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
The other day, I got to thinking about the speed of my radio & whether or not eliminating Virtual folders would help speed things up.

Here is my question. In Win500, you can store the various main memory scanner files on the computer. When you need to travel, you could simply load what you needed and go.

So, would there be a noticeable difference in the scanner's performance by eliminating all Virtual folders? I do realize that the ones that appear are mapped, but I was wondering if there is some sort of "sifting" action with the various objects.

I would love to hear the opinion/suggestions or others.

ScannerSK

There should be no difference in speed at all as the same amount of memory is set aside for virtual folders whether they are being used or not. Also speed is controlled by set parameters such as those found in the Function Global menu.

To speed up searching/tuning set "SQ Wait 1" to 6 and to speed up scanning set "SQ Wait 2" to 11.

Hope this helps!

I wonder if not using virtual folders saves on battery life? That may be a possibility.

Shawn

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Hypothetical

There should be no difference in speed at all as the same amount of memory is set aside for virtual folders whether they are being used or not. Also speed is controlled by set parameters such as those found in the Function Global menu.

To speed up searching/tuning set "SQ Wait 1" to 6 and to speed up scanning set "SQ Wait 2" to 11.

Hope this helps!

I wonder if not using virtual folders saves on battery life? That may be a possibility.

Shawn

Yes, I've made some adjustments to the SQ wait & mine works fairly well given the number of objects I only presented such as a hypothetical. I believe this question arose after I started reading about the new Uniden scanners & how differently they work on the various radio systems. For instance, you are not encumbered by the 32 frequency limit per TSYS load. Actually, I think the PSR 800 has no limit as well, but I could be wrong.

I am strongly considering getting the new Uniden because Whistler is taking too long. I cannot fathom why it would take this long to get a product out on the market. I've heard there are spare parts. There is also a possibility that the federal government downsizing may have affected whatever role the FCC has in this transition. But, again, I'm getting impatient waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.