PSR 500 sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefox2163

HI my PSR 500 doesnt seem to be as sensitive in the 450-470mhz bands as it is in the 155-166,or 800 mhz bands,has anyone noticed this or is it just maybe the scanner or something?thanks! any suggestions,i have good antennas ive been trying also

Eng74

Try the ATT. When there is too much on the front end it will not pick up. My FD is on 155.785 and have to use the ATT or I miss traffic.

cfr301

Eng 74 is Right... Are you using any of the new digital systems? If so Try to Att. the closest Tower, I had issues with that once I set Att on a tower less than a mile from me my reception issues cleared right up. Another thing if you have a nearby Police or Fire EMS Tower Att their frequency if they are using conv.

I did that to the Dept in town Police Freq and started picking up their traffic much better, because basically they were over loading my scanner, because of the close proximity to my outside antenna. Makes a big Difference

Rick

bluefox2163

didnt work

hi i tried what you said about the ATT but no noticable improvement infact it was worse on all bands ,for now I have it set to global ATT off and the high band 155-166 mhz comes in unbelievably well very sensitive but the 450-470 mhz just isnt very sensitive and im suprised because in all the reviews they say its good on all bands,as far as 800mhz goes its sensitive but has a hard time getting the connecticut state police where my other scanners recieve them fairly well......so i dont know if theres any fix for that ,certain antennas seem to improve the CTSP reception but it still choppy and intermittent never stable in being able to scan them for any considerable length of time,where as my pro 96 digital does a much better job ive noticed.....any feedback

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I have measured ten different scanner models, both Uniden and GRE, and the PSR-500 was the least sensitive on 460 MHz. In general Uniden is more sensitive than GRE in this band. On 800 MHz the PSR-500 is in a tie for most sensitive, beating the other eight models. Unfortunately it overloads easily on 800 MHz and this has been noted many times by various users. You are probably suffering from a lack of sensitivity on 450 and overload on 800. There isn't anything you can do to the radio to fix the problems. The best compromise is to use an antenna cut for 450 and hope it performs poorly enough on 800 to reduce the apparent overload.

bluefox2163

your right the 500 cannot really pick up CTSP like my other scanners which is annoying,and when I put the scanner very close to a window in my apartment 460 mhz comes in much better I start getting stations farther away,on the high band there is no comparison in sensitivity its fantastic never had one so sensitive in this band airband is great to ,I hope the GRE people will address this 460 mhz issue in their next models,all in all though I really love my PSR 500 I can take it to a high area in my car and enjoy better reception than in my crummy apartment which is in a hole below sea level,and which is why I am having problems...thanks for any feedback!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Here in ILL on the new Starcom Digital 700/800mgz system i get much better coverage at home and especially in the mobile on the 396XT rather than the GRE500...I do believe area to area things may differ!!....Even with the new 800 rebanding the cell towers still destroy the GRE500....

Status
Not open for further replies.