PSR-500 Transmission Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

salty

I have a PSR-500 that when compared side to side with a Radio Shack Pro-164 scanner, is slower to break squelch on a transmission than the Radio Shack scanner.

Both scanners have the same number of frequencies programmed and scanning but the PSR-500 is takes about a second longer before you hear the audio on a transmission. Because of that, I miss a lot of short transmissions on the PSR.

Is there a setting fix for this behavior?

Thanks for your help!

jackj

You didn't really give any specific info on the comparison. Are you scanning conventional channels or digital? These are different radios with different specs and different methods of memory management. What makes you believe that this behavior is something that needs to be fixed. If you are unhappy with the performance of the GRE scanner, then sell it and buy the RS scanner.

JoeyC

Yes there are settings. But as jackj stated, you didn't give much information. conventional? trunked? analog? digital? scanning a mix of conventional and trunked? listening while parked on a freq/talkgroup? much more info needed.

salty

Sorry for not being more specific.

I am scanning a Motorola Smartnet II trunked system (analog).

I used Win500 to program the PSR-500 about a year ago but I don't know much about the software. There are a lot of configurable settings in the Win500 program, most of which I am not sure what they do.

JoeyC

You can try lowering the DG Int Prime (in the expert global settings menu) from the default to about 20. I found that with analog trunked systems it took too long to open squelch and was missing the beginning of transmissions. I also lowered the RF SQ Fade to 1.

salty

Thanks JoeyC, for taking the time to respond to my question.

On my Win500 program, I couldn't find DG Int Prime or the expert global settings menu. I did find RF SQ and changed it to 1.

I'll look closer for the DG Int Prime setting. Thanks.

You can try lowering the DG Int Prime (in the expert global settings menu) from the default to about 20. I found that with analog trunked systems it took too long to open squelch and was missing the beginning of transmissions. I also lowered the RF SQ Fade to 1.

JoeyC

Sorry, in WIN500 that would be "Digital detect timeout". I set mine to 20 from the default of 60 and that solved my problem.

To find the expert menu, hit PGM / FUNC / GLOB

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
Thanks JoeyC -
I was noticing while I'm scanning analog trunked system, the signal indicator showing 2,3 or 4 bars, but no talking. I changed the settings mentioned above, and my 500 seems to be hitting a little better(talking sooner), thanks.

Salty - buying RS over GRE in a bit redundant, since GRE makes them both. The firmware and outside packaging are the only real differences. GRE also includes $39 programming cable the uninformed guy at RS probably doesn't know exists, lol., (and a power supply)
All in good fun Salty, I've owned many RS scanners, made by Uniden & GRE both. I bought at RS because they were the only game in town. With the advances in the internet, you can now buy right from the factory and leave out the middle man. I have a pro-95 on the other side of the room from my PSR-500, Happy scanning. - Gadget

salty

Thanks, JoeyC!

Sorry, in WIN500 that would be "Digital detect timeout". I set mine to 20 from the default of 60 and that solved my problem.

To find the expert menu, hit PGM / FUNC / GLOB

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
While we are on this topic what can I do to my radio to better receive the NJSP? The setting in the motorola section can it be tweaked?

salty

Thanks JoeyC !

After several days with the new settings, I am not experiencing that "lag" on the PSR-500 transmissions.

THANK YOU JoeyC for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.