PSR 500 Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday after listening to my PSR 500 most of the day I encountered an issue. After I turned it off I decided to go back in to check on a few new frequencies I had found. When I turned the radio on it made a couple beeps then just started scanning through all the search lists rapidly. The only way i could get it to stop was to press thecenterselectbutton. But even then it didn’t seem to receive anything.

I tried a reset but it doesn’t let me get to that either? Has anyone else encountered this? Are there any solutions anyone could share?

I was sad because this radio has been great for many years. A couple years back I got a G5 which eliminated local simulcast issues. But as many of you know while the G5 could do things the PSR 500 couldn’t do the same thing goes for the PSR in relation to the G5!

I suppose I may have to consider a replacement. I’ve read many posts here on RR citing the “pros and cons” of many of the newer radios. I’m open to hearing any recommendations in this regard too.

Thanks!

ScannerSK

Yes, similar, it sounds like some of the metallic material on the back of the keypad keys has fallen off and is making contact with the circuit board. The fix is often as simple as opening the scanner, removing the keypad and blowing out the flakes of metallic debris. If too much of the metallic material flakes off any given key it will stop working. Some have glued a small piece of aluminum foil to the key or a person could purchase some keypad fix on e-Bay. This person sells it on e-bay: KEYPAD FIX (not currently available however).

Shawn

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Yes, similar, it sounds like some of the metallic material on the back of the keypad keys has fallen off and is making contact with the circuit board. The fix is often as simple as opening the scanner, removing the keypad and blowing out the flakes of metallic debris. If too much of the metallic material flakes off any given key it will stop working. Some have glued a small piece of aluminum foil to the key or a person could purchase some keypad fix on e-Bay. This person sells it on e-bay: KEYPAD FIX (not currently available however).

Shawn
Thank you very much. I will try this later today. I will report back.!

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I took the radio apart. Pad is not in very bad shape (based on a you tube repair video), so I cleaned things out and put it back together. Still crazy behavior From the radio! So I did order some of that keypad fix. There was another site selling the same thing as in your link above.

I'll try that when I get it. Taking that small board off with the six screws is not something for the "faint of heart!' Those little screws are brutal to get back on.

I'll wait for that stuff to come. A little leery as to how I wouldn't cause real issues with a piece of tinfoil!

Thanks again!

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Don't just focus on the rubber keypad... also check the PCB for any conductive residue bridging the keypad contact points. A Q-tip and 91% IPA works wonders in that area.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Don't just focus on the rubber keypad... also check the PCB for any conductive residue bridging the keypad contact points. A Q-tip and 91% IPA works wonders in that area.
Thanks for the tip. By ”PCB” I think you are referring to the actual circuit board? Ok. I’ll try that Another time. Thanks.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all! And thank you especially "K9DAK!" I went over the board with a couple Q-Tips with IPA and before putting in fully back together, gave it a test. Voila! It worked! When the keypad stuff comes I'll probably give the board a good going over anyway. Doubt it could hurt?

I really appreciate the help! The 500 rides again.

I think I'll keep researching all the new radios just in case. Very interesting reading!

Thank you!

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
You're welcome! Been doing this for over 40 years... like the Farmer's commercials say... I know a thing or two, because I've seen a thing or two.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

PS: Go Bucs and go Bills!

Thank you all! And thank you especially "K9DAK!" I went over the board with a couple Q-Tips with IPA and before putting in fully back together, gave it a test. Voila! It worked! When the keypad stuff comes I'll probably give the board a good going over anyway. Doubt it could hurt?

I really appreciate the help! The 500 rides again.

I think I'll keep researching all the new radios just in case. Very interesting reading!

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.