PSR-500 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

columbine1

I purchased this product new in 2011. Worked basically flawless in Denver. Moved to Albuquerque 3 years ago. Finally took the time to reprogram the 500 for Albuquerque metro area. I Used ARC500 software. The CPU firmware when new was and is currently 2.1. Same with the DSP, version 1.4. However, I am not able to pick up any of the TGRP's in Albuquerque for police; only fire. Also, while listening on this radio on a few other groups, dispatch conversations are clear and crisp, but the cars who communicate with the dispatcher, are garbled and unintelligible. I'm starting to believe that there is a possibility that this radio doesn't support ProVoice systems and other decoding software that will enable me to listen to these specific groups. Any help would be much appreciated.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am looking at that system here. That page states:
Bernalillo County and the City of Albuquerque share a Mulit-Site Simulcast Ericsson TRS. Theres is a total of 7 sites located within the County. System #2 has 3 sites, and System #3 has 4 sites.

The TRS is a Wide Area System so Group ID's will show up on both systems depending on where the radio is located at.

The two systems use a mixed Voice solution. Most of the communications use the PROVOICE solution and there are only a hand full of ID's that use analog.

columbine1

Well, I'm under the impression that if I want to keep up with the latest scanner technology, I'm needing to upgrade. Will a scanner like the Uniden SDS100 with all the extra bells and whistles, work with these talk groups? Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I purchased this product new in 2011. Worked basically flawless in Denver. Moved to Albuquerque 3 years ago. Finally took the time to reprogram the 500 for Albuquerque metro area. I Used ARC500 software. The CPU firmware when new was and is currently 2.1. Same with the DSP, version 1.4. However, I am not able to pick up any of the TGRP's in Albuquerque for police; only fire. Also, while listening on this radio on a few other groups, dispatch conversations are clear and crisp, but the cars who communicate with the dispatcher, are garbled and unintelligible. I'm starting to believe that there is a possibility that this radio doesn't support ProVoice systems and other decoding software that will enable me to listen to these specific groups. Any help would be much appreciated.
As already noted, your PSR-500 cannot handle ProVoice transmissions. The only scanners that can are specific Uniden models with the paid ProVoice upgrade: BCD325P2, BCD996P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, and SDS200.

The SDS100 (with the ProVoice upgrade) will handle the current system. However, see this thread in the New Mexico forum.

It appears that the ProVoice system's days are numbered, with a switchover to a P25 system. If that is the case, and the new system likely will include one or more simulcast sites, then the SDS series would be a good choice. You might monitor that thread to confirm what timeline is expected for a change. The 'new ssytem' will be P25, and most likely P25 Phase II, which your PSR500 cannot decode.

Because a probable change is in the works, even if you purchased an SDS100, I would hold off on buying the ProVoice upgrade. Instead, you might look into using one of the SDR dongles, and your PC, to monitor the ProVoice system until the switch is made.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The SDS100 will not receive encrypted talkgroups. No scanner can. It will receive ProVoice if you get the paid upgrade. I don't know if the Albuquerque dispatch talkgroups are using encrypted Provoice. I'll check with the NM forum and let you know.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Great information from you all! Much appreciate the help, thank you!
Received info from NM forum. It is reported that the Albuquerque PD dispatch talkgroups are in the clear and you will be able to receive them. You will need the ProVoice upgrade to receive city and county police and fire on the EDACS system. They are in the process of transitioning to a new P25 system and I am not sure how long that will take. If you use a SDR dongle, you will need to take a computer with you wherever you go.

Last edited:

columbine1

After reading a bunch of reviews on the SDS100, I'm starting to doubt whether or not I want to go this route. Any suggestions or recent reviews on a high end scanner with previously stated options that people here prefer? Again, thanks for your input.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You are getting advice from users non-users you have to look for yourself.
You have people giving advice that do not own and have never owned or even tried using a SDS I own 2 SDS100 and 1 SDS200.
I have had people here tell me that I am not being true about when I say my SDS scanners sharing the same antenna at the same time all hera the same ANALOG P25 DMR and NXDN signals I am running over 20 Unidens and 2 Whistler TRX's all to compare to at the sametime.
If the need comes up I will by another SDS scanner if needed.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
After reading a bunch of reviews on the SDS100, I'm starting to doubt whether or not I want to go this route. Any suggestions or recent reviews on a high end scanner with previously stated options that people here prefer? Again, thanks for your input.
It totally depends on what yo want to monitor. If you are monitoring a trunked radio system transmitting from multiple locations on the same frequency, the SDS is the way to go. If you are monitoring conventional P25, the PSR-500 is stellar. Different models will shine in different situations.

fredva

Feed Provider

If Albuquerque goes with a simulcast P25 system (very likely, that is the trend), then the only scanners currently on the market that have the hardware to be fully compatible with P25 simulcast are the SDS series. Unication pagers are also compatible. Other scanners may or may not work - for them, reception is very location specific.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If Albuquerque goes with a simulcast P25 system (very likely, that is the trend), then the only scanners currently on the market that have the hardware to be fully compatible with P25 simulcast are the SDS series. Unication pagers are also compatible. Other scanners may or may not work - for them, reception is very location specific.
I agree 100% with the above statement. Another scanner may work, but it is very iffy. You may find that even if a scanner works at your home, it has problems as you move around in your local area. Many systems nationwide are simulcast. If you travel, you may have reception problems. The SDS100 and SDS200 are the only scanners designed to receive simulcast systems. The Unication G4 and G5 pagers are also excellent with simulcast, but have limitations with scanning capabilities. The SDS100 and SDS200 are the only scanners that will receive my local simulcast system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.