PSR-500 Upload Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonSi

Hey guys, I have a PSR-500, and I'm trying to upload a few things to it (via Win500) and the software shows it going ok, but when I watch the scanner LCD it freeze's at 81% done. I did a search and found a similar thread, but the problem still exists.

This was the thread.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102056&highlight=upload+win500

I tried downloading the memory of the scanner first into Win500 to see if it was full, and I saw only two objects (CONV) that I created. I don't see anything else. Someone linked to a win500 file in the previous thread for Denver, and I downloaded that and tried to upload it and I still freeze at 81%. Everytime it freezes it resets the scanner memory, but I'm wondering how I do that manually? I can't seem to perform a hard reset. Any ideas?

I'm going to try and locate the firmware version, and see if it's out of date..

I'm using XP, Win500 and the GRE usb cable that came with the scanner.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrandonSi

Well, I guess I should've just waited until I upgraded the software on the scanner. It was at 1.1 for cpu/dsp. I upgraded to 1.3/1.2 and all is ok. :)

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Hmmm. A WIN500 version compatibility problem with the firmware version? Although I never have seen that.

Dave

Last edited:
I had that same thing happen to me when I first tried programming my 500, it'd freeze at about 80% or so. Installing the firmware update fixed the problem for me.

Thayne

I had the same problem after downloading new files about 10 times, then the problem started.(81%) It's working OK now but I don't know what changed. I havn't done the firmware upgrade yet.

DonS

The latest CPU firmware update from GRE addressed some "cloning" timing problems between the PSR-500 and PSR-600. Win500 was originally written to work with the first version of firmware as it was shipped with the PSR-500. The latest firmware version allows for "faster" cloning operations, and Win500 takes advantage of that.

The result is that the current version of Win500 may not work with old versions of radio firmware, because of timing issues.

EDIT: This has actually been discussed a few times since the CPU 1.2 update was released. For example, the last part of this post.

Last edited:

Thayne

Thanks, Don, interesting-- I am going to download the updates soon.
Thanks also for your quick assistance with my purchase of win500 last week. (Emailgoof up)

Status
Not open for further replies.