PSR-500 volume/squelch control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squad10

I want to place a rubber o-ring under the squelch and volume control knobs so they do not turn so easily.

I've attempted to pull the knobs off with my fingers but they will not release from the shaft.

Has anybody removed the PSR-500 knobs yet?? Any suggestions that will not leave marks on the plastic case or knobs will be appreciated.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
I removed my knobs with no damage. Grip the volume knob with a pair of pliars, but use a thin piece of cloth (cotton or some nonslippery cloth) between the pliars and the knob. Grip firmly and pull straight up - but do not rotate while pulling up. To remove the squelch knob use a thin bladed screwdriver and gently pry up in various places around the underside of the knob to loosen it. Use thin cloth to prevent scratching the top of the case.

I replaced the knobs on my 500 with the same Kenwood knobs I had previously used as replacements on my PRO-97. I like them much better than the original GRE knobs as you can grip the vol knob without turning the sq knob. See this discussion:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64356&highlight=knobs

For anyone interested, the knobs are from a Kenwood TH-G71A transceiver and the part numbers are:

K29-5159-03 Sq knob
K29-5150-03 Vol knob

They are about $0.60 each and are available online from
www.kenwoodparts.com

Dave

Squad10

<<I replaced the knobs on my 500 with the same Kenwood knobs I had previously used as replacements on my PRO-97. I like them much better than the original GRE knobs as you can grip the vol knob without turning the sq knob.>>

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it a try.

I don't mind the knobs as much as the squelch and volume controls being easily turned when I put into and remove from coat pockets. Hopefully the rubber o-rings will cause enough friction to resolve the issue I'm having.

skip21

Premium Subscriber
Can someone post a picture of their scanner with these replacement knobs?

Thanks............

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
You said knobs, huh-huh...

thewenk said:
I removed my knobs with no damage. Grip the volume knob with a pair of pliars, but use a thin piece of cloth (cotton or some nonslippery cloth) between the pliars and the knob. Grip firmly and pull straight up - but do not rotate while pulling up. To remove the squelch knob use a thin bladed screwdriver and gently pry up in various places around the underside of the knob to loosen it. Use thin cloth to prevent scratching the top of the case.

I replaced the knobs on my 500 with the same Kenwood knobs I had previously used as replacements on my PRO-97. I like them much better than the original GRE knobs as you can grip the vol knob without turning the sq knob. See this discussion:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64356&highlight=knobs

For anyone interested, the knobs are from a Kenwood TH-G71A transceiver and the part numbers are:

K29-5159-03 Sq knob
K29-5150-03 Vol knob

They are about $0.60 each and are available online from
www.kenwoodparts.com

Dave
I tried the swap, but noticed they knobs were "off clock". I personally find the OEM knobs on my PSR-500 are fine. Have I mentioned yet today how much I love my new PSR-500?

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I have the Kenwood knobs on my 97, the ones that come on the PSR-500 are alot better then the Kenwood ones, I think I will see if the 500 knobs fit the 97 and if they do I will try to get them for my 97.

Status
Not open for further replies.