PSR-500 Vs. Pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro-97

How better is the psr-500 to the pro96. Can i still do ID hold with the 500.

SCPD

QRT
way better, yes you can Hold ID's. the PSR-500 does LTR whereas the 96 don't. The step size for VHF is adjustable to 7.5KHz, PSR-500 does 700MHz Trunked, which many agencies are planning to use in the future. Cost is virtually the same. GRE offers firmware up-dates, Good luck on that with radio shack. The 500 is Object oriented whereas the 96 is not, the Memory of the 500 holds Trunking systems by systems alike a Motorola radio. the 96 stores them in 1 of 10 banks, BIG Differance. the 500 Can display and/or be programmed with NAC codes, the 96 can't.

Self Explainitory, the PSR-500 runs circles around a Pro-96 for the same money!

xpawel15x

MaxTracker said:
way better, yes you can Hold ID's. the PSR-500 does LTR whereas the 96 don't. The step size for VHF is adjustable to 7.5KHz, PSR-500 does 700MHz Trunked, which many agencies are planning to use in the future. Cost is virtually the same. GRE offers firmware up-dates, Good luck on that with radio shack. The 500 is Object oriented whereas the 96 is not, the Memory of the 500 holds Trunking systems by systems alike a Motorola radio. the 96 stores them in 1 of 10 banks, BIG Differance. the 500 Can display and/or be programmed with NAC codes, the 96 can't.

Self Explainitory, the PSR-500 runs circles around a Pro-96 for the same money!

I agree that the PSR-500 has more bells and whistles but the price is not really the same. Both new radios cost around $500 yeah, but I got an excellent condition used Pro-96 for $275, try getting a used PSR-500 for that! Receiving digital is what counts, and PSR-500 even when buying used still costs around $400.

Last edited:

Tom_G

Psr-500

The PSR-500 has the best digital quality I have heard.
I had both a PRO-96 and a 2096 and they were very good.
The PSR is definitely a good step ahead of those.

The digital decoding and digital audio is silky smooth....

Star56

Premium Subscriber
I had all sorts of trouble using the 96 with my P25 system. I got a 500 and it solved all my issues. No motorboating...no monkeychatter.

The 96 is not in the same league as the 500. The 500 is worth every penny.

Last edited:

pro-97

Thanks,
Where is the best place to buy the 500?
And does fire tone out work on it?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Fire tone out; No it doesn't have it. Best place to buy? All that I found were about the same price, give or take for shipping. I bought mine from scannermaster.com. I also hear that Grove Electronics @ http://www.grove-ent.com/ is very good to deal with.

Swipesy

xpawel15x said:
IBoth new radios cost around $500 yeah, but I got an excellent condition used Pro-96 for $275, try getting a used PSR-500 for that! Receiving digital is what counts, and PSR-500 even when buying used still costs around $400.

The question was which radio is better not price. The PSR500 is better and out performs the Pro-96. So for less money you get less radio.

money911

i just got my 500 about 2-3 weeks ago, my first serious scanner and pretty much what im starting with. but all i can say is that i love all the features and im still trying to learn everything i can do with it.

it can hold so many freqs and lists its hard just to fill, my friend has a pro-96 and it he even admits the superiority over his.

good luck!

robo21

I've had my PSR 500 for about a week. I returned the Pro 96 just after the PSR 500 arrived. I also returned a Uniden 396 2 days ago. The 500 just blows away the other two in terms of performance especially in digital performance.

The Pro 96 would very frequently "machine gun" or "motor boat" (buzzing sound). The 500 NEVER does. The 396 would do this as well but less frequently and at the beginning of the transmission only and then it would decode normally. The 396 also suffered from dropouts which were extremely annoying.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Lentini Communications

pro-97 said:
Thanks,
Where is the best place to buy the 500?
And does fire tone out work on it?
Best place to buy from. Free shipping. Here's their ebay link:http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GRE-PSR-500...yZ149992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. They are based in CT, and I have heard nothing but great things about them. I'm in LI, so I had my rig THE NEXT DAY. If you can live without the fire tone outs, get this radio. BTW, have I mentioned yet how much I love my new PSR-500?

areeceepb

I just recently sold my Pro-96 on Ebay and bought a PSR-500 from Lentini Communications. So far I am satisfied with the performance of the scanner. There are far less Motorboating and Machine Gun sounds as others above me have stated also. The LED feature is also neat.

I'm still trying to re-learn everything.. but so far everything is going successfully. The PSR-500 is WAY easier to use in my opinion. Programming seems to be a breeze, especially with all the options right there as you program (ex. Pri, Skywarn, LED color, Backlight, etc...). Not to mention it picks up more frequencies.

I would recommend the PSR-500 to anyone.

hypersight

I am hearing that the PSR500 suffers from signal overload when connected to an external base antenna. Apparently It overloads worse than the PRO96. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Status
Not open for further replies.