PSR-500 + water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gainantenna

Wow, dodged a bullet with my 500. Seems as though I put it in a sack with some other "stuff" including an 8 ounce (sealed - so I thought) cranberry juice. The next day I pulled the 500 out and discovered that the juice had leaked into the bag and into my scanner. Pulling out the battery pack revealed more dripping of cranberry juice. Well, I had heard of drying cell phones in white rice so I filled the battery case cavity with white rice and then immersed the whole radio into a bag of white rice. 12 hours later I shook out the rice (quite a job in itself) and the radio purred like a kitten. So, if this happens to your scanner don't forget about the "white rice treatment!"

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just wait until the ants invade it this summer! :D

Seriously, if you're not confident to do it yourself, send it into GRE to have it disassembled and cleaned.

RadioDaze

MPSCS has a point; I'd also worry about mold, and maybe some corrosive effects from the juice. Would have been better to have it water-logged than juice-logged.

It's a sad tale. But maybe you could unleash an ant colony on it and they will lick it clean.

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
If you feel confident, carefully take the radio apart, and use a toothbrush and alcohol and clean up the electronics inside... the compressed air in a can works great for blowing the excess out. We used this same technique when I worked on cell phones and it worked great...

RadioDaze

Look for 91% alcohol, which is more pure than the 70% rubbing alcohol.

Just don't get it mixed up with the Jim Beam. You won't need your radio if that happens. If you survived it, you'd need a Braille display installed.

KE4RWS

It Happens . . . .

I would also disassemble the scanner down to a point you’re comfortable with (if at all). I had a 900 MHz cordless phone go through the washer one time in the pocket of a pair of pants. Although it was quite dead, I was able to disassemble it and thoroughly clean the soapy residue with clean water & dry it out. After a good charge of the battery it powered up and worked without a hitch.

I think the white rice method would work reasonably well but I wouldn't let it go with that alone.

I would think any sort of juice would leave a tacky residue but maybe not. If it's working again with no problems then that's great. However, usually any liquid containing sugar will be a bit sticky once it dries and leave behind some residue. Even though it seems to be working I'd be a little wary about leaving that way. At some given point it may develop some strange anomalies. I certainly hope not but it could happen.

I think we've all done stuff that's resulted in unexpected issues but I certainly hope no one bashes me for it if I simply ask for someone's opinion of how to deal with it.

gainantenna

Thanks for the sympathy. Most people have at least one "brain fart" when it comes to scanners and I had mine. Thank you for understainding...it's easy for others to cast stones for them. Of course, they never did anything stupid, did they?

gainantenna

KE4RWS

It all starts here

Hey no problem my friend. I've done many things in my lifetime that I looked back on and wished I'd done it differently. I just see no point in verbally berating someone on here for it. And to think people somehow believe they're gonna get a positive response from the individual by saying things like that in an open forum? I don't think so . . .

Have a good one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.