PSR-500 Wildcard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I set up a wildcard for a large TRS in order to catch new IDs that I don't have programmed. When I set up the wildcard and when it lands on an ID that I already have programmed, it doesn't display the text tag it displays the ID. My question is, is there a way for the wildcard to only show the talkgroup ID if the talkgroup hasn't been programmed yet? I hope I am making sense, as this is hard to explain. ;)

mikey60

I set up a wildcard for a large TRS in order to catch new IDs that I don't have programmed. When I set up the wildcard and when it lands on an ID that I already have programmed, it doesn't display the text tag it displays the ID. My question is, is there a way for the wildcard to only show the talkgroup ID if the talkgroup hasn't been programmed yet? I hope I am making sense, as this is hard to explain. ;)

Yes..

Press PGM
Press F3 (GLOB)
Press FUNC then Down Arrow (Takes you to the bottom of the menu)
Press Up Arrow Twice

Set the TGRP Ignore option to Yes

Press F1 (Save)
Press Scan

This will have the Wildcard ignore talkgroups that have already been programmed, but are either locked out or in disable scanlists.

Mike

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Excellent, thanks alot. I've had this thing for a year and i'm still learning how to use it ;)

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I am still having problems, even after trying the above settings. I am in scan mode, and the wildcard talkgroup still displays talkgroups that I already have programmed, as wildcard "hits" (it doesn't show the text tag of TGs already programmed). Anyone know how to make it work properly?

For example, with my PRO-2055, the open and closed modes are designed just for this situation. In open mode, it will display new TGs with its TG number. But if it lands on a TG I already have programmed, it will show its text tag. That's what I want my PSR to do.

Last edited:

DonS

I'm unable to duplicate what you describe. I have:
* wildcard TGRP in a scan list by itself
* only that scan list is enabled
* lots of other TGRPs programmed for the TSYS, in other (disabled) scan lists
* TGRP Ignore option set to Yes
* SCAN mode
As I see lots of call grants go by (CCDump mode via Win500), the scanner doesn't stop on any of them.

How are you determining that the scanner is showing you wildcard hits vs. hits on already-programmed TGRPs?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Well I know that it's giving me TGs that I already have programmed because I am comparing what it is displaying with the database, and the TGs are the same as what I have programmed. Also, my wildcard object is not in a scan list by itself, it's with a bunch of other objects. Does it need a scan list all to itself to function correctly?

DonS

OK. But, how do you know that the "hits" are coming from the Wildcard TGRP and not from the TGRPs you've programmed?

(No, a Wildcard TGRP does not have to be in a scan list by itself. I only used that as my example above in order to perform the "TGRP Ignore" test that had been described.)

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
OK. But, how do you know that the "hits" are coming from the Wildcard TGRP and not from the TGRPs you've programmed?

(No, a Wildcard TGRP does not have to be in a scan list by itself. I only used that as my example above in order to perform the "TGRP Ignore" test that had been described.)

I'm not sure I understand..when I get a hit, the display alternates (flashes) between the TGID and "Wildcard", so I assume it's coming from the wildcard.

And I put the Wildcard in a scan list by itself just to see what happens, and it appears that this configuration is working, to where it only stops on TGs that I don't have programmed.

DonS

I'm not sure I understand..when I get a hit, the display alternates (flashes) between the TGID and "Wildcard", so I assume it's coming from the wildcard.

While in a call, the third text line of the LCD should alternate between the TSYS alpha tag and the alpha tag of the TGRP object. If the TGRP object is the "Wildcard TGRP", or if that TGRP was created by pressing F3 ("Stor") from a Wildcard hit, the TGRP alpha tag will be of the form "*ID: nnnnn", where <nnnnn> is the talkgroup ID.

The best way to determine whether you're getting hits on the actual Wildcard TGRP or another, TGID-specific TGRP is to look at the ObjectID shown on the first text line of the LCD, right after the "Scn" text.

cfr301

And I put the Wildcard in a scan list by itself just to see what happens, and it appears that this configuration is working, to where it only stops on TGs that I don't have programmed.

Here Might be the issue, Just GUESSING from what you have said. I have wildcards associated to Certain Towers. I have all my Wildcards in Scan List 14. If I have TG xxxx on one tower and another tower picks it up I get a wildcard hit OFF the tower that I do not have TGxxxx programed into. If i am near the scanner I just hit the tg/lo and I don't get anymore this TG on the wildcard from the near by tower.

I live in an area where hearing traffic from towers in three different communities happens all the time. You can also program the offending TG hit into a list on the tower its hitting from and Lock it out in that list.

I don't know if this helped you or not but from what you said it maybe whats happening.

Rick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.