PSR-500 Your right Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSPD

Here's the deal...and I'm only thinking out loud. I'm torn between the Uniden 396XT or the PRS-500 and leaning towards the 500. I've read and re-read the reviews and threads for each radio, got to handle a friend's 396XT and try a RS 106 in the store. The size of the 500 is not unfamilar, since my portable scanners are older model RS and Uniden models. I'm thinking portable since one radio will have to suffice for both mobile and base use.

I like the idea of better sound, better decoder, and possible louder volume with the PSR-500. When I think I've come to a decision, I find another twist. This time it's the ability of the 396XT to bypass an encrypted transmission on a P25 system. I believe the Uniden has many nice features of which most I'll probably never use, but the above feature may be very useful?

Digital radio here in Rochester NY is new with no encryption currently. So, I guess here's my question for those that have been listening to digital in other areas with the PSR-500...is this feature something you wish you had or needed in your area? Inquiring minds want to know! And thanks for all your input...I've got to come to a decision soon, it's killing me! Glenn

SquierStrat

i was recently in your shoes. what pushed me over the edge was that i could get the psr500 brand new sealed in the box for about $60 less then the cheapest XT i could find. if they would have both been the same price, oh man, that would have been a pickle

bigcam406

speaking just from my experience with my psr500,grab one,you'll love it.digital audio sounds great coming from it.justa quick question though,when did Rochester switch over to digital,as i used to listen to them quite often on my bc898t over the years,especially during summer months.used to get strong signals across the lake from them quite frequently.

Northerner71

I started out with a Pro 2096 and it was good, but I wanted a handheld so I sold the 2096 and got a psr 500 for a great price. I love my radio, it is awesome. There is a learning curve because it is so different from other older scanners but once you grasp it, it is easy as pie and you will never want to go back to the old way. As I said, I love my 500, my next step is to try real radios. Have a great day, PSR's all the way!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.