PSR-600 Issues and Quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrghoo

When powering up my new PSR-600, I notice that the backlight flashes very bright, then reappears as the welcome screen displays. To me, the bright flash doesn't seem normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Please advise.

cfr301

When powering up my new PSR-600, I notice that the backlight flashes very bright, then reappears as the welcome screen displays. To me, the bright flash doesn't seem normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Please advise.

My R/S 197 ( Same as the 600 ) briefly comes on bright until the screen fully lights up to the dim setting I have programmed, I never turn mine off but did just to see if it did the same as your 600

Rick

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
It is normal as far as I can tell and doesn't seem to have caused any problems on my 600.

Dave

hoser147

I really don't think there is a problem, once the letters show up it seems like it brings the contrast down some on the screen. When there are no lettering present it does seem brighter.

mrghoo

I just was about to send a response, and the whole thing disappeared. If it suddenly reappears and this post is a duplicate, I apologize.

Thanks for the quick response to my question. That puts my mind at ease. This is my first GRE (I like it and it's programming system) but the bright flash seemed strange. I've been monitoring since the '60s and usually bought Uniden/Bearcat.

Another thing, although this is probably off topic for my own thread: My county (Saginaw MI) has just gone to a simulcast (not multicast) P25 system. I purchased a BCD396XT and BCD996XT (I need two bases and one portable) and was very disappointed with the multipath distortion. I've tried several different antennas and their orientations without much success. A Yagi works fairly well with the base, but for mobile monitoring with the portable, nothing seems to work well when I'm between towers.

With the PSR-600, the decoding seems a little bit better but there is still more garble than I would like. I've been playing with the expert global settings and may have improved the audio quality somewhat. What I would like to know is if anyone has experienced this problem and come up with some settings or other solutions to improve the audio quality.

Thanks.........

cfr301

I live very close to a Marcs Tower here in Ohio, it was actually over driving my Pro 197, once I set Att on that tower and another one in Lima that has over driven Control Channel Issues my Scanner Works EXCELLENT!!!!! The other thing I did was set everything Marc's to NFM I get good clear crisp signals from several counties around and depending on the weather with my outdoor Antenna I get Marc's traffic from Dayton & Columbus at times. Also if you have a Conv. System close by Att it because they over drive your scanner too. Had to do that with the local police dept. Once I did they came in clear as a bell.

Rick

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
What you're decribing is normal on many Radioshack/GRE scanners, my PRO-2055 does it since the day I bought it, and it's still fine. And that was 4 years ago. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.