PSR-600 Random 800 MHz deafness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warthog1

Silent Key
I have a PSR-600 that seems to randomly go deaf on 800 MHz. I can have a full signal and trunking on Saratoga County's 800 P25 system, then the next minute I have no 800 signal at all, even when manually tuning the CC. My 996T that sits underneath the PSR-600 still has the signal and trunking. I have changed antennas to see if that was the problem, but no joy. Now as quickly as it went 800 deaf, it will come back in a day or so.

Has anyone else experienced that problem ?

Thanks !

ScannerSK

I have a PSR-600 that seems to randomly go deaf on 800 MHz. I can have a full signal and trunking on Saratoga County's 800 P25 system, then the next minute I have no 800 signal at all, even when manually tuning the CC.

That's unusual... The two thoughts that come to mind are either local interference or a bad antenna/solder connection. Best guess from previous similar posts is that it may be some type of local interference. A starting point may be to locate the strongest signals in your area by using Spectrum Sweeper and see if any of them are related to the problem (i.e. when a specific signal is on the air you have troubles with the 800's).

Shawn

Warthog1

Silent Key
Thanks for the ideas guys. I have tried 4 different antennas ( telescopic, discone, Austin Ferret, and Log Periodic). As far as local interference, I live in a small (pop 1800) village. This is a signal starved area, if anything. Last night I added another repeater site to the PSR 600, now I am running two different sites for the 800 system. At 5:00 this AM there was a call for Edinburg, and I was receiving the 800 just fine. By 6:30 it had lost the CC and now is deaf again. All other frequency ranges are fine. Weird eh ?
Thank God I have a 996T, I can still monitor the system with that and a PRO-2096.

DonS

Have you verified that all of the control channel frequencies are programmed? That is, when it goes "deaf", is it possible that the system has moved to another control channel, one you don't have programmed into the PSR-600?

D

DaveNF2G

The system in question is P25 simulcast. From the scanner's point of view, the system's sites interfere with each other.

Warthog1

Silent Key
All control channels have been verified many times. Right now the 996T has a good signal on the system, the PSR-600 has absolutely nothing

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
PSR 600 deaf

Just a thought, is the system set up properly like P25AUTO or P25MANUAL? Any chance Attenuation is turned on?

Just a few random ideas.

All control channels have been verified many times. Right now the 996T has a good signal on the system, the PSR-600 has absolutely nothing

ScannerSK

Are all 800 MHz frequencies being affected or only the control channels for the system you are monitoring? When you are having this problem do all 800 MHz signals disappear?

Warthog1

Silent Key
I have very few 800 MHz freqs that are monitorable from here, but if I do a search with the 996 and find one, the PSR-600 doesn't hear it...even with the same antenna as the 996. This morning, when I turned the PSR-600 on, it immediately gave me a full scale reading on the CC along with a trunking indicator, and just as quickly dropped them.

D

DaveNF2G

Not all of Saratoga County's sites transmit full time. What you describe sounds like the kind of temporary desense that would occur when a site comes alive to service a unit that is not in range of other sites, then drops off the air again when the communication is finished.

Warthog1

Silent Key
Possible with Fraker Mtn, Not the case with Barkersville.
Dave, The 996T IS receiving the system at the same time that the PSR-600 is not.
If I remove the log periodic from the 996 and switch it with the Austin Ferret from the PSR-600,
the 996 STILL receives the signal, the PSR-600 still does not.
I have checked ALL of the programming parameters several times. I believe there is something messed up with the radio.

Warthog1

Silent Key
Testing further. My PRO-106 receives strong signal and trunking indicator on the back porch with a rubber antenna, and same when attached to the Austin Ferret that the PSR-600 is running. I did a reset of the PSR-600, re-loaded it and still nothing. Guess I will be using it for everything EXCEPT 800 !
So much for Unitrunker as well. Too bad....I really like Unitrunker.

Warthog1

Silent Key
This morning the PSR-600 is receiving the 800 system with 4-5 bars on the meter and trunking. I will bet that it's deaf again in an hour or so.

D

DaveNF2G

Hmm. On further review, I must say that you are on to something.

My PSR-600 tends to go "soft" on the Albany and Colonie systems at times. Saratoga is always problematic.

My PSR-500's S-meter display and the ability of PRO96COM to see any data from it appear to be completely independent of each other, too.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I didn't notice you saying you had tried turning on the attenuator, when having these issues. The GRE scanners are very susceptible to overload.

Warthog1

Silent Key
Attenuator isn't an issue, it's always off. Just turned the radio back on and PRESTO....there's the system loud and clear. It's been running for about an hour now. Let's see how long it stays running.
LOL....running great now.

wphm449

I had this issue with my PSR-500 when first got it. Make sure your firmware (both DSP and CPU) are completely up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.