PSR 600 Scanning speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy_hermit

I found that cutting the delay time in half (from 2000 to 1000) helped and it doesn't seem to have a negative impact.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Also, don't enable any priority .

Keep in mind, a multi site trunking system may run faster using STAT rather then ROAM.

DonS

The various "delay time" settings (CONV, TGRP) won't have any effect on scanning speed, if that term means "how often we check a conventional channel if nothing else is active".

There are a couple of settings that can increase the conventional channel scan rate. However, these settings can also cause you to miss transmissions if you mess with them too much:
* PGM FUNC GLOB "SQ Wait 1" - decrease value
* PGM FUNC GLOB "SQ Wait 2" - decrease value
* TSYS's "Dwell" setting - change from default of zero to some number less than 10.

You can also try sorting your conventional channels so that ascending ObjectID values are also ascending frequency. This will help speed up the per-channel tuning time.

grumpy_hermit

The various "delay time" settings (CONV, TGRP) won't have any effect on scanning speed, if that term means "how often we check a conventional channel if nothing else is active".
Of course you are correct but it seems to help cut down on missed/clipped transmissions. :)

darrylcn

I sped my PSR-500 up by taking 27 towers out of the TSYS and only leaving local ones in. Went from about 7-8 seconds to less than 1.5 for a scanlist.

Highpockets

There are a couple of settings that can increase the conventional channel scan rate. However, these settings can also cause you to miss transmissions if you mess with them too much:
* PGM FUNC GLOB "SQ Wait 1" - decrease value
* PGM FUNC GLOB "SQ Wait 2" - decrease value
* TSYS's "Dwell" setting - change from default of zero to some number less than 10.

You can also try sorting your conventional channels so that ascending ObjectID values are also ascending frequency. This will help speed up the per-channel tuning time.

Don,

I hope I explain this right. When assorting by freq's & TG ID's by ascending order, I assort each scan list this way or would it be better to just assort all the conv freq's and ID's and let the scan list that they are assigned to be all out of order when looking at the all objects list. I assort by scan list (ascending order) first then in the all objects screen I assort by scan list first then renumber everything using the Assign Object ID's from 0 to whatever. So, each scan list is in order and assorted in ascending order.

With that, which way do you think will scan faster?

DonS

The only "sorting" that will have any effect on scanning speed is if you sort all conventional channels in order of frequency, no matter what scan list they're in. EDIT: Clarification: if you're looking at the conventional channels in order of ascending ObjectID, you'd also want to see either ascending or descending frequency. If I was doing it in Win500, I'd go to the CONV objects tab, show all scan lists, sort on frequency, then re-assign object IDs so that they were also now sorted. The scanner scans conventional channels in order of ascending object ID, and the idea is to avoid "bouncing" up and down in frequency.

Sorting talkgroups will have no effect.

Last edited:

Highpockets

The only "sorting" that will have any effect on scanning speed is if you sort all conventional channels in order of frequency, no matter what scan list they're in. EDIT: Clarification: if you're looking at the conventional channels in order of ascending ObjectID, you'd also want to see either ascending or descending frequency. If I was doing it in Win500, I'd go to the CONV objects tab, show all scan lists, sort on frequency, then re-assign object IDs so that they were also now sorted. The scanner scans conventional channels in order of ascending object ID, and the idea is to avoid "bouncing" up and down in frequency.

Sorting talkgroups will have no effect.

Thanks Don.

darrylcn

I'm thinking of doing just that, I sorted my 30-40 aviation frequencies tonight by frequency (as the object ID increased the freq does too) and noticed some difference I think. Would sorting all objects by frequency be worth the effort, or is the speed difference all in my head?

Status
Not open for further replies.